Guide to Continuation Betting (When and How to C-Bet in Poker)

jingler

jingler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks CC, good job. I was interested to read this article. I often use the C-bet strategy when playing cash games. But at the same time I try to act cautiously when playing in multi-table tournaments. When playing tournaments I often notice that players use C-bet preflop with a strong hand with an Ace. And when they get a dry board while trying to cheat and raise - they often get on my set)) At the same time, I always use check-raise.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The article well shows the basic principles for C-Bets, such as ranges and board structure. Also, we are greatly helped by the information about our opponent, which Holdem Meneger 2 gives us. We should always pay attention to statistics, especially when we bluff C-bet

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very helpful article here , the most important piece of information is the board textures(wet or dry) many players are not aware of. You can easily take advantage and take the pot right away against a tight player with a smallish cbet.

Although, I feel this article is the tip of an iceberg , as Luvart mentioned 60%-70% is for sure a solid c bet strategy , my opinion diverts a little bit and I try to cbet 70%-80%. You can't just cbet 100% , sooner or later this attack will be defeated.

If we talk about MTT strategy I don't agree with the 50%-100% pot mentioned in the article as the general rule , (as far as I know in cash games the standard cbet is approximately 50%-70%) . You will see most of the times the standard cbet is 1/3 pot and sometimes in super dry flops even 1/4.Either way if someone bets pot on the flop and I have a flush draw I will never fold , I have 2:1 roughly 50% so I will continue anyway!

We also need to think from which position did the initial raiser opened and how likely is the board hit the open raiser's range or the blinds range or maybe the 3 bettor's etc .Sometimes we can just check back the flop if we have a lot of showdown value and for balancing purposes and the story goes on. I think everybody can understand those things but only through experience and studying. You can't learn them overnight.

ps. You should have written that the article applies in HU situations in a multiway pot the dynamics are way different!

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good article , like you said in the begining , every good player must be familiar with it . and after reading it , i totally agree with you . it s with normal acts that we can become more great as something . thank you for the article , i have read it and it was very helpful .thank you

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
very good in addition to being a small article is very well explained you could understand perfectly and helped me a great deal about the subject article

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
C-bet on the flop, I apply particularly only if I hit something, this includes two pairs, or very strong drow, this against two opponents, against one opponents appended to every 3 hands of poker played in a situation like this apply to c-bet on the flop even if I did not hit anything on the flop with the intention of stealing it.

i have totally agree to this comment.
THe differentiation between dry and wet board is quite good, important and something i still need to adapt more often and better.
Espaecially in the combination with the tendancies of your oppurnent the dry/wet board can be helpfull.
I think it should be clearer through the article that the c-bet is most often used with a small number of oppurnent after the flop. more players mean your cbet is more likely to called.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
To the point. I especially liked the cheat-sheet at the bottom!
In my limited cash experience, a c-bet is often all it takes to take the pot down, especially in position (although donk-c-bets are way scarrier sometimes).
In tournies it works only in middle to later stages.
If you did get the goods though, and your c-bet gets called, you should push harder on the turn, 2/3rds or pot size might get called too.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to keep a very balanced approach to c-betting, making sure to protect the checking range.

If I see someone c-betting too frequently, I will exploit them by re-raising or floating their c-bets often.

vovqa93

vovqa93

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
C-betting

Imo, the way we should manage our c-bet frequency is going outside the psychology and empathy feelings about our opponent and his image/ranges he playing. It changes alot when we have total newbie/some around zero regular/aggresive regular/ loose regular etc. Our preflop range action builds from the table sitting players, then postflop. It's not that easy as we think at first look. If different leveling-players are in postflop in the hand, the dispersion is so high, sizing-sensitivity etc. just work non-standart way. No standart situations more in poker nowadays, only against nits.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My only problem with c-bets is that most people in micros are overusing it and c-betting with any two. So you either folding a middle pair winning hand or you keep calling with your draw only to lose by a random pair that they got on turn or ace high. And when you really get there they wont call your value bets.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is a good strategy. In a large percentage it gives positive results, depending on many factors such as the position, the number of callers and the cards on the flop.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the cbet the most important is a strong raise on preflop .. But I do not use a lot of cbet because in the freeroll and the micro buy-ins where there is a lot of LAG players(call with any cards on flop) the cbet is not a good option, cbet much more helps and can use in higher buy -in games..

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
Overall the chart at the end of the article sums things up nicely, although one point the article doesn't make is the ability to not be predictable, and how to deal with manaics on flops. I find too often that if one does the same thing over and over that opponents will simply call along knowing how much you will most likely bet. Switching it up and betting 1/3 pot on a dry pot, or 1/2 on a connected board to keep your opponents guessing is critical.

Knowing that your opponent is a manaic also helps - if they have a tendency to raise any flop you need to know and adjust your strategy. You'll want them betting when you hit big, and checking when you don't, so something as simple as checking back on a dry flop vs a manaic isn't always a bad thing - especially if you hit. You'll want them to try and bet big to take the flop away, but betting 1/2 on the flop may induce a fold. You always need to maximize value.

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
i think C-bet is one of the most important things to master , either it is to use or to counter , to use to steal pots or lure others into thinking of your cbet as a bluff ( it all depends on the sizing how they will perceive your c-bet ) , or countering it depends really on the players your playing against some if you call their c bet they will check on the turn and retreat from the pot , some will turn it into a bluff , sometimes you would get more value from a check raise. that's what i love the most in poker a lot of possibilities that stimulates your mind )

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's interesting because many pre-flop players are aggressive for two reasons, high card players or simply bluff, and when they do an aggressive pre-flop and to see the flop we must bet and see what reactions other opponents take and there they can . Give an account of what kind of players you have at your table, and it is important to have an idea of how your opponent plays. Passive players whose main movement is a check-call.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Very good article, that nailed the basics of C-Betting in my opinion.
Just about the bet sizing I would say it depends on the situation and the type of game.
Especially when playing Spin&Go's or HU's, I think, the bet sizing also can be lower than half pot. 1/3 of pot can be enough sometimes to figure out, if the oponent hit something or not or maybe is just drawing something.

IlyaSavinov

IlyaSavinov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article! I really liked! I hope in the game it will be useful! But still it is better to be careful, it all depends on your hand! And it is better not to abuse the C-bet, as it will lead to an increase in loss!

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, that is an important position for C-bet, but it is also important against which player we play, it will easily get a weak player, but if we encounter an aggressive player, we have to be careful here, as far as I'm concerned an aggressive player and letting him go on with the game, or tracking or throwing the cards, it's important that at c-bet, I pay 30% of the pot.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
really useul and interesting article, as always) i think that c-bets it's very important part of the game and it's quite hard to use correctly, but information from this article helped me))

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A great article with lots of points for consideration by everyone.

I always consider the point of how well a player plays pre flop as compared to post flop. This is based on the fact that many players are much stronger and more confident playing pre flop than post flop. You often see players thinkng their pocket aces hold up against everything else that the board throws at them and will happily bet away with you. Watching their game is really important to maximise your post flop play and the c bet is just one of those strategies.

I think this article is a really good example for newer and less experienced players to start thinking about the fact that there is more to poker than just the cards in your hand.

Well done CardsChat.

BB

R

RicardoInciarte

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always do this strategy C-Bet, is one of my skills and It is very effective, the key to a successful C-Bet is known where to do it, perhaps sometimes you fail it but in general you may take so many chips using this strategy against passive players. I dont consider this against 2 or more players.
This article makes me want to play poker. I cant wait :D

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love this type of article that helps the community, I will apply and maybe I will improve my game through these guides that are very interesting and that CC has been concerned that their community advances in learning

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
very good and useful article. c-bet is an extremely important thing when playing the flop. in addition to reading the opponent, there is also the danger to scare him off and stay with a small Bank. but even greater danger is that you can get trapped with a very well-disguised strong hand. you have to be a post-flop master.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I believe Barry Greenstein is known for always C-betting every flop. I'm with Barry on this one, I think I almost always C-bet and very rarely Donk bet. The only real situational adjustment is the amount. There are many situations where the amount is zero. ;)

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Nice and helpful article...:)
Against tight passive players the advantages of C-bet is huge!

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars