Can you win a tournament without any skill?

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it's possible when I start play and I don't know a lot of poker but I win many of sng torneys.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure, but it becomes easier the more skill you have

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just want to know if you can win any tournament just by being lucky, including freerolls and every other tournament.

Of course you can. that's what I've been doing for years :)

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cannot win any kind of MTT without luck. Heck, just look at the wsop Main Event. Joe McKeehen was all-in on about the third or fourth day against Josh Beckley (ironically enough, the guy McKeehen eventually beat for the title) and hit a 10 on the river for a straight. He doesn't hit that, and he's out. He was behind from the getgo (AK vs. AQ) in that hand and was 9% heading into the river. But I am sure that every other player who made the final table (heck, I bet prbably every player who just made the money) has a similar tale of hitting a river card to win a hand.

The real question is not can you win a tourney based purely on luck (the answer would be no), but what is the percentage of luck vs. skill required to win? Look at some of the other hands on that video. McKeehan won a coin flip early when he had AK vs. QQ and rivered an ace. He won another big pot against Zvi Stern when McKeehen had a full house and Stern had nothing but bet into him any way (to me, that's another form of luck).

Is it luck to get AA? No, that's just poker. You play long enough and you'll get it. What is luck is when you get AA and somebody with AQ in front of you shoves all in and you scoop a big pot. That's the luck part.

Here is another example of luck for McKeehen. He gets pocket 6s and calls a pre-flop raise against some guy named Guan with QJ. McKeehen gets a 9-6-4 flop to give him a set. Guan check-raises the flop after McKeehen bets 550,000. Then the turn is another 6 to give McKeehen quads, and Guan bets 2.3 million on the turn! That's another example of luck is when your opponent picks a bad time to bluff against you.

F

fooks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it's Allin the tournament for 9 people) and so is unrealistic).,on one luck need knowledge

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before I come to CC I was playing on luck and never won much of anything. Without the skills I have learned here it makes it impossible for me to win. But with those skills I know how to play any given hand. That gives me confidence, and then if I believe I can win, that seems to bring on some luck. GL to you.

nastena2992

nastena2992

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it is impossible to win the tournament without the skills, if luck is on his side, but this is not possible :)

rawbad

rawbad

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yes I tried something a few years back in a freeroll I went all in every hand (pissed off a bunch of people) just to see if it would work it was on fulltilt freeroll and won unreal tried it again several times and never happened again so YES DUMB LUCK CAN WIN but not to long

T

Terrell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely possible. I have seen plenty of rooks run deep with little knowledge

Sevendeuceoff72

Sevendeuceoff72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen free roll players build up quite a stack in the first five minutes by going all in with ATC. After that they usually give it right back to someone else. If they just sat out with such a large stack and came back like 2 hrs later, I bet they could win without any "skill"

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spit happens but in a deep mtt you're probably going to need more than just luck. On the flipside, a good player will need some luck to win the same tourney.

AlyLauren

AlyLauren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess that will be hard, everytime I play I always make sure that I'm ready. If you're ready the higher chance of winning. How about you guys?

J

julianocwb10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , I believe so u can win a tournament with more luck ... u have to play properly without error, you have to know entar in hand !

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I first started out I placed in freerolls every now and then even though I really had no experience but it's definitely not easy and you need a huge amount of luck

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know it is possible, but they can't win often. I have dealt two different charity poker tournaments where the person that won had never played before and didn't really understand the game. They just got really really lucky.

Omar Kassas

Omar Kassas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course if you have enought luck and don't pressure your luck if you can wait for your hand then you could be a winner !

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it's definitely possible to win a tournament with no skill and a lot of luck, although if you play a lot of tournaments and depend on luck too much, your bankroll will suffer greatly. But getting a really lucky run and winning one tournament with only luck is possible.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably need both skill and luck. First of all a player with absolutely zero skills will not usually be playing in big cash tourneys....too many players in freerolls to come out on top. Luck can get you close, but you'd need skill to bring it home.

W

waterboy73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short answer: Yes, certainly! There are so many bad players that win games everyday, and continue to get there money in dominated, but somehow seem to constantly come from behind to win..

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think so when deep in tourney that's when your luck will run out

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes.

Poker is a game where one can make all the right moves for all the wrong reasons and still come out on top. I think the only difference between a skilled player and an unskilled player is that the skilled player has to have reason for doing something, whereas the unskilled player has no reasoning behind their action.