Would you fold AQ?

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold my AQ and sit back and watch the action. Wait for somebody to make the mistake and lose out. Don't let it be you.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to the theory of discrepancy, you should not call in a similar situation.

Y

Year Zero

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold... you are almost there

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

please share your ideas about following situation.

you are playing for a ticket and are 8 places away from the money.
your stack puts you in 5th position (7 tickets) but your ranking will determine the value of your ticket.
you are in late position with AQ and the biggest stack at the table.
utg+1 bets, next 2 people fold and a lose canon at you right goes all in. his stack is roughly 2/3 yours.

Would you call or fold AQ?
If you have AQ, then we can easily determine that you have only 26% to win, despite the fact that the AQ hand itself is very strong. But you have one card coinciding with your opponent, and the second one is lower, so winning with a pair (the most common case) is possible only when the lady comes to the table and the king absenteeism, the probability of which is low.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold AQ. Why take that much risk on losing 2/3 of your stack when you have plenty of time to wait for better spots.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play fold and wait for a more favorable situation for us. I would call only with 1010+ AK.

gabrielcsgo93

gabrielcsgo93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, belive in me... AQ is nothing close to fold ACES on pre-flop... and belive in me, exist situations in tournments that is better fold ACES in pre-flop that go all in against a lot of players if you are close to get money!

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold such a card. Why risk in vain. In cases of close receipt of prizes, never rush.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold such a card. Why risk in vain. In cases of close receipt of prizes, never rush.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would only call AQ suited

AQ suited or off-suit make little difference unless you are deep stacked. AQ suited is surprisingly better when deep stacked due to the few extra outs to a flush, but I would not hero call with one and not the other here.

As many have stated, folding and waiting for a better spot is usually the default move in my mind. I'd only be more inclined to hero call if blinds were really short or I had a read they didn't have it. Otherwise, I am probably folding this hand - suited or not suited.

T

Tolyanchemp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if there wouldn’t be a bet from utg, it’s a call, in this situation, fold

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If the guy is as crazy as you make him out to be, I would definitely call this.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are still 8 places away from getting a ticket, so you can't just sit it out. AQ against a maniac's range is a good place to get your chips in. I'd be a little worried about utg+1 calling, but I may have to go for it. It would depend on whether there are a bunch of really short stacks left. If many players are really short I might hold off. But 8 places away and you are 5th with 7 paying, it's not a sure thing. If you sit back you could easily drop down while others take the opportunity to double up and pass you, you may not find another spot as good to gamble. Also you mentioned the value of your ticket is depended on your ranking at the end of the tourney, so there is some incentive to take more risk compared to a tourney where all tickets are the same value.

T

tata777rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have thought how he played at the beginning of the tournament at your table. Did he always play on a strong card or did you notice his bluff. You need to know how he played and build on his game. If he bluffed earlier, I would risk all in.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
AQ for me is not a good hand to connect, I would expect one like AA, KK, AKs, QQ and K10s.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's definitely recommended to pitch, AQ is not such a strong hand in this position, it can be a much stronger hand than the opponent.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

your stack puts you in 5th position (7 tickets) but your ranking will determine the value of your ticket.
utg+1 bets, next 2 people fold and a lose canon at you right goes all in. his stack is roughly 2/3 yours.

Definitely folding, you have to consider how much your stack is worth compared to the earlier stages of the tournament. If you're not sure about late stage spots like this you should check out the ICM chapters (days 14 and 25) in the 'Becoming a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days' guide under the poker strategy tab up top.

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Believe that the best decision is to give up.
utg + 1 usually raises hands in which you can find dominated.

It also depends a lot on whether he is raising a lot of hands.
In addition, you are already close to the prize pool, you don't need to get involved in a possible coinflip at the moment.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 15 players left in the tournament. You have a position and a strong hand AQ. You are in 5th place out of 7 prizes.
Having dropped your hand now, will you stay in prizes?
How does your stack look against other stacks?
Can you sit out?
If the answer is no, then a simple call of all-in.

M

mollymaggie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you're chip leader and 2 players away from getting a ticket why play it especially if the shover is short-stacked he probably has a strong hand too and the worst thing that could happen is doubling that player up. Being late in the game the blinds are quite high so let the blinds take the shorts out

Last edited:
L

LSTBrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would throw AQ away and wait for my ticket...
It's a hard decicion but I think I would do this.
Sometimes it better to have the bird in the hand...

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would push. I go for first baby. In order to live, you have to be willing to die.

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya know upon further review, AQ is one of the worst trouble hands. I was chip leader on the final table and I open shove on the button. Big blind calls with AK and I lose half my stack eventually out in 5th. Unless I'm short stack I reccomend not calling an all in with AQ.

E

enzomyn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

In my opinion it is not favorable precisely because of the situation in which it finds itself, if it were incredible that it looks like an AK I would think twice before folding.

Folding in Poker