Would you fold AQ?

G

GSMTH

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

please share your ideas about following situation.

you are playing for a ticket and are 8 places away from the money.
your stack puts you in 5th position (7 tickets) but your ranking will determine the value of your ticket.
you are in late position with AQ and the biggest stack at the table.
utg+1 bets, next 2 people fold and a lose canon at you right goes all in. his stack is roughly 2/3 yours.

Would you call or fold AQ?

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Probably not. You would be better to bide your time, continue to play where you have a better advantage. Keep chipping away at those lesser stacks when you have position and/or cards. There is no reason to hero call when the villain might have AK or AA and you are a heavy underdog. Even a small pair has odds on AQ. No reason to risk here.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You can't really make this decision without knowing the blind levels, but I wouldn't call with AQ here. More likely than not you are crushed by one or both players' ranges.

Tomacco

Tomacco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could even lose vs a 7-2 .. Why risk all the work you've done?

AlexeiShok

AlexeiShok

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what cards are on the table. If there are no good cards on the table, then of course I will fold. And if there are good cards, I will raise.:)

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have good starting hand, but why to risk, fold and wait for better situation

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

your stack puts you in 5th position (7 tickets) but your ranking will determine the value of your ticket.
utg+1 bets, next 2 people fold and a lose canon at you right goes all in. his stack is roughly 2/3 yours.

I would fold and wait for the lc to get eliminated especially if it is pre-flop ..

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If it left me with plenty of bbs, I'd probably call. You're going for a nice starting stack in the target tournament as well.. It's hard to say really.. so many things would go into that decision. I don't think it's a terrible call anyway, unless a loss left you short stacked.

L

LSTBrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold an wait for an other hand...

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQ is not 100% or 70% of the victory. In this situation, when the prizes are close, there is no point in risking all in preflop. Throwing a good hand is the power of a good player. I think fold in such a situation is a good decision without risk!

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like this hand!!! i just call and if dont come nothing on the flop i fold easy!! i dont risk my stack for nothing!!!

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most likely I will not call, you are about to achieve your prize and there is no reason to risk everything for a hand without any security, a couple of 2 could ruin all your effort. Relax, you are almost there, lol. Chill :D

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on how important the tickets are to you and how long you went to them. AQ is a good hand to open a raise and go to the flop. But preflop all in will leave you with a short stack. Getting tickets will be even more difficult in this case.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like this hand!!! i just call and if dont come nothing on the flop i fold easy!! i dont risk my stack for nothing!!!
But by calling you are already risking it, or am I wrong? What happens if you hit an ace and your opponent a three of a kind? That will hurt your stack more than you think and will place you in a risky situation to obtain your prize that was already in your pocket.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no need to take risks. You need to play the end game carefully. Even if you had two kings it is better to throw it away.

M

Madragalahad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

You say he's a loose cannon. How loose? Presumably he's made plays like this before, which can help you - does he tend to shove with A rag? If the value of the higher placed tickets is significantly more than 5th - 7th place, I'd call. If you were already past the bubble, you wouldn't hesitate.

Actually, I'd raise. Give utg+1 more reason to fold.

Last edited:
R

rmbmr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was 4/20 with top 8 receiving tickets. i open in late position with AKo. big blind 3 bet jams, for all my chips. I call...he flips over K9s and knocks me out..

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally would fold. In those tournament situations, I would only enter pots that are cheap, unless i have AA and in that case I would go in search of first place. Anyway, I would have to know a little more about the structure of the tournament, especially if it is turbo or regular / slow, since in the case of being a turbo tournament, the waiting margin is not very large.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi. I would wait for sure, because you lose to a 72, it would be very stupid .....

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold and wait for a lower risk opporunity. If blinds are not too high I would like to see more flops and then decide after.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depend on the situation

It depend on the situation at the place completely.

It's called, OK, It's fold, OK.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, you are in a great position for a ticket. You may not even have to play another hand but if you do have to pick up a few chips you can find a less risky spot.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably not. You would be better to bide your time, continue to play where you have a better advantage. Keep chipping away at those lesser stacks when you have position and/or cards. There is no reason to hero call when the villain might have AK or AA and you are a heavy underdog. Even a small pair has odds on AQ. No reason to risk here.

This friend have already said everything in this post. /\:captain:

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would dump the AQ and wait for a better spot

Folding in Poker