_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
bankroll is going to be a big factor, your ratio of buy ins will be a lot lower for sit n gos b/c of the variance
But personally MTTs are where the money is at, so if you can find good ones then play them

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I could play a lot online I played what I could win the most money at - and that was tournaments by a long shot. I lost money playing sng's and won money playing tournaments. You can't get a big cash playing sng's - you would have to play so many of them and be hugely profitable to come anywhere close to what you can win playing the same entries in tournaments.

Keeping in mind that only 10-20% of sng players are profitable - I think most players are better off playing tournaments.

I definitely have to agree with this!

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's your decision. Play those games in which you can show your best game and win money. This is the meaning of poker.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After reading this, I started playing more bigger tourneys. I made it to 5th again last night, buy in 4.40, 41.00 return.

Thanks for the post and all of the helpful replies.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So glad that you won *10 times your buy in in a Tourney this will make you focus more on Tourneys because SnG do not pay that much

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance in poker tournaments is hard to run down. I completely understand the view on sit and go's as these quick tournament and after you double up you can really gain control of the table. Now the only thing is in these large fields the amount of buy in's you get is very large since need to run down alot of people. So lower variance lower payout. I think gonna come down to how much people can handle variance and how much they want to win. Small bankroll go with sit and go's you can very quickly grind out a bankroll playing these. Hope this view helps out.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone has their prefered games. I like tournaments more. They are more difficult and time consuming but are more profitable if you advance deep in it. Sngs are something i play either when i want to rest from playing tournaments or when i dont have much free time.

G

GoroAdachi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mistakes in poker are VERY costly. MTTs give you more opportunity to make mistakes. SnGs are very good for consistent players. MTTs require more inconsistent and risky plays to get into higher stacks especially after late reg ends and blinds are starting to climb, if you aren't in top 30% of stacks, you are going to have a hard time stabilizing. Hard to say, but for beginners, I think SnGs are definitely where you should play to see more results.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play mostly sngs and its much easier from a time management standpoint. Kinda hard to schedule things if you are playing a set of 5hr mtts.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same dilemma. Those 2 hours late regirstry tourneys are killing me. The more I play the more I can make a bad play or lose my entire stack to a sick cooler hand. On the other hand with sng sometimes its feel like it takes forever to wait everytime for players to join. The big money are in tourneys thought, so better to drown in deep water than in shallow.:cool:

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
it's always a dilemma, which one and what to play.
Some like the SNG, some other love the MTT, but MTT's are bigger pay out.
:)

R

RunoMont

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like both depending on the game. MTT is a way to also compete with stamina. its also about how long can you handle it for the big prize. its a different kind of game and requires much more commitment with regards to mindset and general health

K

klada152

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sngs are similar to multi-table tournaments but take less time. Thats only reason i play sng and not mtt my favorites are 18, 27 regular sng

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one big advantage I see to low level MTTs is that they mostly all have re-entry so people are willing to call all in with sub par hands

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sit n go's are the school of poker.To become a good tourney player you have to play lots of sit n go's.

This.
I almost exclusively play SNGs, a few cash tables, and freerolls. Everything else has been a net loss for me, but a tight field low stakes SNG is always a good call.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I personally think whatever you play is a personal preference. Each game has it advantages and disadvantages. I personally like the MTT tournaments better than the SNG variety due to the deeper game it becomes and the bigger payouts. My problem is time constraints. I cant play for 6 hours at a time unless it the weekends. Work and family just get in the way so i end up playing many more of the SNG variety. In truth, both are good for us to play.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
the sng for me are better because you spend less time playing than in a tournament and you can make a good bank in them, also that you can play a tournament simultaneously, I think it is not wrong to implement the knowledge you have in the mtt and from time to time I like to risk in them

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is higher variance (technically) in SNGs than in Cash games, problem is that cash games require a certain kind of patience I don't have. Otherwise I'd only play cash.
Though I do agree that it's really up to style since Poker play is heavily psychological, the advantage of playing your style is so much greater than the specific variance inherent in whatever game.
Skill wins, so go for skill

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In sngs you build your mtt skill as well. But in mtts you find the big money, it's worth the time spent in them if you make top 3!

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally prefer MTT's over SNG's because they take longer it's a marathon and not a sprint .... as others have also pointed it is two different skill sets I like the way a MTT plays of the two .... I usually won't look at it like a shorter tournament ... if that's what I 'm looking for, something based around time constraints, I'll just play cash games .... I'm also surely not as good at SNG's

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
SnG probably fun to play for those who regularly plays at home with friends in poker. Playing SnG and get in shape before the game is quite helpful.

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SnG, at first I thought it's Spin&go, What are sits&goes? satellites? short tournies, where you can win entrys to bigger tournies? limited player games? Every evening I play freeroll satellites, which take place every hour on pokerstars, players there are mad:D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SnG, at first I thought it's Spin&go, What are sits&goes? satellites? short tournies, where you can win entrys to bigger tournies? limited player games? Every evening I play freeroll satellites, which take place every hour on pokerstars, players there are mad:D

SnG simply mean Sit and Go. They are tournaments, that dont start on a scheduled time, but when the required number of players have registered. This also mean, that the number of players and the price pool is fixed, and there is no late registration.

Most SnGs only have a single table so a maximum of 9-10 players. There are however also multitable SnGs that run especially on PokerStars. These can have as many as 960 players, but most have 18-180 so 2-20 tables at the beginning of the event.