Why Sng , why not tournaments ?

Grafiti7

Grafiti7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
SnG is for me much better then some tour ( exepct with big buy inn).
Well, for example I want to play SnG 180 player 2.50$ buy inn, in one and half hour if i stay i will be at final table and in the money for sure.

Now i want to play for example big 2.20, first must play like 2 hours for late registration, then another 2 hours of play for some money, and after 4 hours of playing , u are in the money but only for buy inn..

Soo if u ask me , Sng tour is better than some tour with same prize for buy in. Am I right ?

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For everyone in different ways. If you like then proceed. I like to play sometimes one after another in order not to have the effect of eating.

rikoberto

rikoberto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, for example I want to play SnG 180 player 2.50$ buy inn, in one and half hour if i stay i will be at final table and in the money for sure.

Now i want to play for example big 2.20, first must play like 2 hours for late registration, then another 2 hours of play for some money, and after 4 hours of playing , u are in the money but only for buy inn..

Soo if u ask me , Sng tour is better than some tour with same prize for buy in. Am I right ?

Hey Grafiti7..Everything depends on how much time you want to invest by playing,your bankroll,and your personal preferences..I agree that tournaments like Big,needs many many hours as it has massive playerpool and in general thats how Mtts are..(except hyper turbos ofc)..i used to grind MTTs but lastly i stick to Sng 180s as well,because of volume of game and speed of format.(as correctly u said in 1 hour and half u are in FT)..I also put some Mtts,(turbos or hypers) mainly to full my tables..But in general is up to you..Which format you feel more comfortable,in which u studied more (or you play better etc) and ofc in which your bankroll can survive from variance..Greetings from Greece ;)

daco111

daco111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer tour. I like it more.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone has a style , for example someone performs well in tournament than sng or the opposite , and also don't forget that prizes on tournament are very interesting if you go deep or reach the final table .

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sit n go's are the school of poker.To become a good tourney player you have to play lots of sit n go's.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is less variance in S&G. Also MTT S&G is great training to be good in MTT :)

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I agree with rikoberto, also there are people who see more profitable the sng for the bankroll and the security of entering ITM, I like to play both, but I like a little more the sng since it suits me better and for the time

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I have a major weakness in online poker, it's patience, sngs used to fit the bill for me online. I miss them so much. Going deep in a tourney only to cash out for pennies on the dollar is a huge frustration point for me. So yes I have to agree with you :)

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sooo, SnG win !!!
:D:D

IMO, MTTs win by far!
When you play SnG it is all about the waiting game. If you play it aggressive, making some pre-flop raises with wider range of hands, can get you into a lot of trouble, especially when you take into consideration, that most of the SnGs online are starting with short stacks (less then 100BB). Therefore mistakes cost you so much in SnGs. Also, once you do get ITM, the ROI (Return Of Investment) is quite low.

On the other hand, in MTTs there is more space to maneuver, as in making aggressive C-bets, trying some bluffs here and there that can help you build up the stack. Still, mistakes can be very costly, but not as much. And finally, once you do get ITM, your ROI can become ski high. Therefore, if you succeed once to win an MTT the win is huge, as oppose to winning SnG with the same buy-in, whereas I believe that both are equally hard to achieve.

With the new MTT formats like bounty builders or progressive KO, it is even easier to make a return of investment in short amounts of time, which also relieves you off of pressure for the remaining of the tournament.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Completely different disciplines, first of all it is time spent on the game. The second is the field of players. Higher variance. The field within this buy-in is much wider. And accordingly drawdown is also deeper.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If I play SNG and I am short in time, I usually play the single table SNGs, because they have the fewest variance in my opinion. If I play multi-table games, I tend to the usual tourney format, because they have a higher price pools, often by garanteed price pool or also when these are special events.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the time mtt are gonna yield more dough than a sit-n-go. It also helps to develop your early, middle and late stage strategy for tournaments that are 4 hours or more.

cskwin

cskwin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNG have its own benefit and Tourney have its own benefit. If you can make it to Final table in tourney you have big chunk to win. SNG might have little time but winnings also limited. although you have to keep in account which one is making more money then you can continue to invest time on that.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the SNG's for the reasons you have mentioned, like others have mentioned they are great practice for getting near the final table, and the final table itself.

I do think that the share should be less for the winner, I know you have to want to win, blah blah blah. But getting sucked out at the final table when you have invested all of the extra time, just sucks. lol

N

needcoffeesendhelp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Undergrad vs Grad School

I think of it like undergrad vs. grad school. Most people know that graduate school, sadly but honestly, is really more about endurance than knowledge. The reason people don't make it is because they don't have the will, reason, or desire after awhile. Not because they weren't intelligent enough.

Undergrad requires some patience and resilience. Is grad school harder? Yes, but mostly it's just a lot more time and ability to endure.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's better to play sng, because there is less variance, unlike tournaments, as you say, you can spend 4 or 5 hours in a tournament, and you can go removed with AA near the big prizes.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, I might have changed my mind. lol
After posting I started playing a few bigger tourneys, I made the money in 4, this last one I made it to 5th place.

I still think that the SNG's are good practice for the bigger ones though.

Attachments

• CaptureBCP 5.jpg
    CaptureBCP 5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 88
  • BCP5.jpg
    BCP5.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 88
liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
sng's are shorter and have lower variance. Big tournaments are high variance, but you should have higher roi in the long run. A lot of good regs haave roi of 100% at micro-mid stake tournaments. In 180 max tournaments I think, the best roi you can have is around 30%.

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think of it like undergrad vs. grad school. Most people know that graduate school, sadly but honestly, is really more about endurance than knowledge. The reason people don't make it is because they don't have the will, reason, or desire after awhile. Not because they weren't intelligent enough.

Undergrad requires some patience and resilience. Is grad school harder? Yes, but mostly it's just a lot more time and ability to endure.
I like that analogy, and that's probably why I never made it to grad school :p

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I could play a lot online I played what I could win the most money at - and that was tournaments by a long shot. I lost money playing sng's and won money playing tournaments. You can't get a big cash playing sng's - you would have to play so many of them and be hugely profitable to come anywhere close to what you can win playing the same entries in tournaments.

Keeping in mind that only 10-20% of sng players are profitable - I think most players are better off playing tournaments.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Valid point about tournaments having a big payout. I like SNG single table. It won't take forever and it is like starting at a final table- good practice.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are different things, with different characteristics. the time you spent, the preflop, players skill, the number of players and the format, all these things make a big difference between the two

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I played a lot of sit and go's but I turned to tournaments cause you might be invested more time than sit&go's but prizes are better .I had the same thoughts less time ,less players so ...but you have to be in FT to be worth it if you have that great results then is the right games for you