What's reason do you generally bust out of a tournament?

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main reason for me being busted out in the final stage of the tourney in 80% is going all in preflop.
In the past 3 days I was busted in position 10-20 on 3 MTT`s.
1. I was 6th place with KK UTG and I min raise, all fold except BB shoving with Q8c. Last three cards were clubs.
2. AK from MP against A9 from EP. Flop came with a 9.
3.TT vs A3. Two three`s, one on the flop, one on the turn.

I will rly try to stop shoving pf and wait for the flop to come at least.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well the way i play...last night 39th but 38 got paid to give you a clue but yeah MOST of the time its just bad luck

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
getting tired, frustrated and then forcing action

itsmebobd

itsmebobd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it blinding away? Not playing enough hands? Playing too many hands? Impatience? A few bad beats in a row (or a huge one)?

For me, it's either getting married to hand like AKs (that didnt hit), cbetting a known calling station, and getting raised all in by the river, resulting in a need to fold with a now short stack. Which needs luck to stay alive.

Or it's impatience when having a pretty low M/CSI and going all in preflop with something marginal, like AJo or 77(-).

Or finally my favorite, trying to be the table police on the bully big stack with an extremely marginal hand when he actually has a hand that time...

I'm trying to fix these up (and whichever ones replace them), but the tendencies tend to come into play at one point or another, and that's busto.

It's a little funny when I think about it, aside from the bad beats, these 3 are almost always the reason I'm out, or at least have a crippled stack.
What are yours?

Honestly for me it seems to be when we make the money I get busted bad by worse hands. For example I was in a 1047 person bovada tourney, paid 99 spots and I finished 63rd. Short stacks getting it all in preflop with hands like A3 vs my AJ, then my AK vs their A5.... happened within 3 hands by 2 short stacks, then I get it in with A4 suited and flop 2 pair, get counterfeited by AQ when the flop was A 6 4, river is 6..... Grrrrr

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there really isnt a usual. ive busted mtts in every way possible. i just try to pay optimally and make the correct decisions and let the chips fall where they may.

if i had to pick a reason i would say generally i have a large stack and i pick on short stacks. i force them to make bad calls or shoves and get unlucky. after 3 or 4 of those im below average and i have most of the table gunning for me

mojoe2209

mojoe2209

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes it is blinding away, push a hand and lose, the other time a bluff failed

why do u ask that?

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it's either QQ+ getting cracked by trash or a forfeited set to flush or straight. It's annoying but has to be accepted as part of the game.

R

revskip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've busted a few different ways. When it is just bad luck or bad cards I usually don't let it worry me too much.

The times when I made a bad play or didn't pay attention to an important detail are the times that make me do some hand analysis and try to shore up those leaks. Both happen to me a fair amount still, but overall I feel like my game improves because of those mistakes as long as I take the time to really think about what the optimal play would have been and how I could have done things more correctly.

R

rocksolid124

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main reason I used to always have problems with was deciding when to change gears, and getting stuck in one particular gear for far too long. Sometimes, I'll be tight because the situation dictates it, and I stay tight too long. Sometimes, I'll be in a dominant position, and I try to bully a bit too much. Granted, if I'm going to err, I'd rather err on the side of aggression, but sometimes, it can be too much. I get super uber aggro especially on bubbles and various other situations.

B

brokenlung911

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually playing freerolls and getting outdrawn with the best hand will sometimes take a risk on a draw if odds are right

D

dannywho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly bad beats as I don't really get it in, without being reasonably strong. I've lost count of the amount of times I've got 2 pair in to he called by top pair and them to river a set or higher two pair.

Occasionally I bust out with a weaker ace or weaker cards like over pair into set.

Even more occasionally I get a read wrong and call someone down with ace high only for the to flip over the bottom pair or something like that.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually because I lost the last hand I plaed

he he, actually one way or another every player is going to be busted sooner or later unless winning it all,

but going back to the thread deep in a toruney i have to say pockets kings, everytime i m dealt such a hand i have the feeling that is almost over for me, its like 147% of the times an ace will be in the flop or the villain holding pocket two is going to hit the set, he he what a wrong approach but indeed it´s starting to affect my game

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me losing a tourney is either because i've got it in good against someone only for them to outdraw on me or having hardly any chips and shoving lightly into a monster lol

oh and blind stealing SB v BB..... 90% of the time i shove on the BB they wake up with aces.... bad timing i guess

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been cashing more and more often but it seems that at the final table if I push with KK there is always an Ace on the flop and the bigger stack with ace rag kills me, or I will push with QQ and come up againbst KK yestyerday I got all in good with aces and got called by K 9 offsuit turn and river KK
I somnetimes believe there is somneone watrching the servcer maniupulating the cards

B

binnk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally i bust out when the blinds are to high comparing to my stack and I end up raising allin the marginal hands in order to survive. I know it isn't the best strategy but sometimes we all have to..

B

bredaman7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason why? because it is poker. Poker = gambling
Any gambling/probability games can have reasons to bust you out.
blackjack: You have 21 (6 5 10), against dealer 10. Then the dealer got A, dealer has blackjack, you are busted.
roulette: You place bets on 36 out of 37 numbers. Then 1 number came out, it wasn't the betted number. You are busted.
baccarat: Same, Craps: Same.
Poker? Lets say you play the best starting hands in poker. You have an edge of 80 percent. Well, AA against QQ, unless the community cards are being expelled after all-in preflop, you have the reason to get busted, because it is not 100 percent.
Actually you already know the reasons, but you are compensating yourself by blaming the bad play, variance, opponent got lucky, etc. You already know eventhough you play your AAA+++ game, you can still get busted.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. I go in with the best hand and they suck out.
2. I am too aggressive late and get caught (this works out over time though)
3. Cold deck. Can't catch a hand and shove with a wider range due to blinds.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning to play poker more and more. Which means trying to pull off new cool moves, and ofc fail!!! :)

but we all gotta break some eggs to make an omlette

C

CactusCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't resist passing up spots, even if I'm a bigstack. I'll play longball, I'll get it in with AK vs random ATC hands and ace rag usually and bust.

madsquirrel

madsquirrel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Increasing blinds have caused me to bust out, boredom, lack of good cards, or tilt.... I have been working on all of these recently and I am doing a lot better ..definitely learning to take my emotion out of poker

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Increasing blinds have caused me to bust out, boredom, lack of good cards, or tilt.... I have been working on all of these recently and I am doing a lot better ..definitely learning to take my emotion out of poker

I don't think having emotions about poker is a bad thing. You just have to have complete control at the table, and that is sometimes very difficult!

S

Shadowman647

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The absolute worst one is at the bubble there's always one guy jamming any two to steal the blinds and everyone else folds to him. Occasionally I get gutsy with A/8+ and I'll just flat call in certain positions. I swear to god I must be cursed, but almost every damn time I do it I'm facing a big PP or an ace with a bigger kicker. If I fold A/8+ and someone else calls, he turns over 2/6 offsuit and the other guy has some junk like K/3.

Long story short, I call with hands able to slam any two when they have big hands, and fold those hands when they have absolute garbage. Story of my bubble life.