What you need to win MTT

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, as an unlimited supply of free time and if you charge the phone . Cheerfulness , good humor , patience, and the adequacy

Yeah keep the phone on charge and win every game you play, that's a secret though and you've just given it away :(

If you really want to win tournaments your gonna need a few things. You're gonna need skills, hand reading ability, table dynamic reading ability, being able to read your opponents state of mind, luck and willingness to take on calculated risks

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah keep the phone on charge and win every game you play, that's a secret though and you've just given it away :(

If you really want to win tournaments your gonna need a few things. You're gonna need skills, hand reading ability, table dynamic reading ability, being able to read your opponents state of mind, luck and willingness to take on calculated risks

Yeah, nice shot! MTT winning strategy smells like you wrote. However risk calculating in this case is no more like what chips amount you want play with. If you umderstand that even if you lose several chips and combination did not close, you still in the game and you have enough stack to continue.

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have a question about component 3- card selection.. What if our premium card did not get hit on flop and somebody made a raise. and you are less in chips.

PershingSt

PershingSt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bit of luck , a bit of skill , and a bit of time :)

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bit of luck , a bit of skill , and a bit of time :)

I've better said a LOT of time!!! However skills and luck retain with a *bit* ;)
Yes, time needed to win some great prizes required really MORE!!!!

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have a question about component 3- card selection.. What if our premium card did not get hit on flop and somebody made a raise. and you are less in chips.

Nice question!!! hm...nothing you can do! In that case you should folded if you want continue play. I see only one perfect situation when you can double up, and your pocket hand near MONSTERS: you raise or pushed all-in and there is only one player called!!!!! This is perfect situation!

Try to find this moments!

yfaleiro

yfaleiro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have some problems with patience, idk.
It happened to me more than one time like...I'm playing a tournament and for 2 sec i think "im tired, i dont need this" and then i go all in with J8o, Q4o for no reason

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good thread i like it very much I would just add calculating outs.

MaksAnonim

MaksAnonim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you! useful topic.++++++

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My advice on how to win tournaments..
pretty much ignore most of what is in this thread. Sorry but it's true.

What does it take to win?
Skill. acquired through experience & in-depth study.

... luck is also a helpful component (one needs to get lucky to win.. especially a large-field tourney). ie. I watch the SundayMillion yesterday & the player who placed in 2nd was clearly a very inexperienced player (a.k.a. donkey, fish, noob, clueless, etc. etc.). They had 40games played in total, mostly superturbo stuff, freerolls, etc. Probably the best thing they had going for them was their unpredictability ... from being basically clueless. BUT.... they're $137k richer this morning! What did it take for them to win (errr.. take '2nd') A LOT of LUCK

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
pretty much what PO said
and luck.... :)

My advice on how to win tournaments..
pretty much ignore most of what is in this thread. Sorry but it's true.

What does it take to win?
Skill. acquired through experience & in-depth study.

... luck is also a helpful component (one needs to get lucky to win.. especially a large-field tourney). ie. I watch the SundayMillion yesterday & the player who placed in 2nd was clearly a very inexperienced player (a.k.a. donkey, fish, noob, clueless, etc. etc.). They had 40games played in total, mostly superturbo stuff, freerolls, etc. Probably the best thing they had going for them was their unpredictability ... from being basically clueless. BUT.... they're $137k richer this morning! What did it take for them to win (errr.. take '2nd') A LOT of LUCK

yfaleiro

yfaleiro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its almost impossible to go through a MTT without a single flip coin

K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First to need to have is patience and cold had without emotion included ,tilt may causing problem to do some nereasonable decision

Steelfan123

Steelfan123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice question!!! hm...nothing you can do! In that case you should folded if you want continue play. I see only one perfect situation when you can double up, and your pocket hand near MONSTERS: you raise or pushed all-in and there is only one player called!!!!! This is perfect situation!

Try to find this moments!
thats why position Is a major key as well, Play from proper position at the start, you will gain more info at the table with out spending a lot of chips not only that good player will second guess there hand and leaving you in that perfect double up plus you normally take the blinds a lot...

A

andreii955

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, luck. Also patience, you have to wait for his moment, and he will come. The main thing to use it, as well as to take advantage of situations at the table.
This is MTT

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to have an abundance of luck. You have to maximize your good luck while minimizing your bad luck. You have to be patient. You have to learn to fold, to pick your spots. Do you really want to get into a coin flip when there are 60 people left and your chip stack is well above the average? You must learn position, blind stealing, bluffing, putting pressure on your opponents. But most of all you have to have luck.

yfaleiro

yfaleiro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing poker, I played SnG 0,10$ 360 players from pokerstars. Back then I had no experience and I knew only the basic rules, didnt know any strategy. I ended that tournament in 3rd place, pure luck.

I think skills are the most important thing on a MTT, but with the luck on your side, your job ill be easier.

J

johnnygadget

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for sharing these components. They are very straight forward and I think they are correct. One of my weaknesses is component #2, I get offended when I know someone is just bluffing hand after hand and I want so much to take their chips away from them that I play loose with them and then lose my own chips when they get a lucky river.

Alos, like veryone is saying patience is a big key component to win a mtt. I recently made it to money after playing maybe 20 hands, because I just played the premium hands and went allin and doubled up. I was working on something else and just had a mtt playing on the side and just kept folding unless the hand was premium. It was the easiest money I made in a mtt. This strategy won't work all the time, but to me it is a testament to the power of patience. Wait for good hands and play them aggressively, and just ignore all the so-so hands. It's not %100 but it can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need to spend two bluff, and Daly to catch a set against top pair.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for sharing these components. They are very straight forward and I think they are correct. One of my weaknesses is component #2, I get offended when I know someone is just bluffing hand after hand and I want so much to take their chips away from them that I play loose with them and then lose my own chips when they get a lucky river.

You are welcome! I appreciate to be useful for you ;)

And one more little advise: try to get three of a kind on the flop (in this case you will win A LT OF chips), however be smart and do not chase to get three of a kind on the next streets, especial if highest cards than your pocket pair are on the board!!! Only if opponents make donk bets or checked you may continue to find third card)))))

PLAY SMART.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You can never take it personally. It can be annoying when someone is playing very loosely, but you seem to have the right idea. Your goal is to get a strong hand against them and catch them in a bluff.

X

XUnoMomentoX

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about the strategy Doyla Brunsona. He was described in one of his books. About a loose-aggressive strategy game.Do you think it really has to be winning or is it only available only to the most Dorylus?

SteaknEggz

SteaknEggz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on holdem would be better to learn from than brunsons book imo

J

johnnygadget

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got 2nd place in a 50 cent mtt last night. Several times my stack was down to as low as 3xbb but I just waited for those premium cards and played them all-in and got lucky. Towards the end I doubled my stack 4 times within 10 hands and was neck and neck with chip leader. I could have won 1st place but I got impatient when it was just 2 of us remaining and played middle pair too aggressively and lost my stack. I was satisfied with 2nd place.

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience you all need.. little luck.. lots of study.. and lots of exprience you need to win an mtt..