What one thing will improve my game?

N

Nooneinparticular

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who wants to play "real poker" shouldn't play SNGs. SNGs are about playing solved spots over and over, abusing the bubble, maintaining FE and optimal/unexploitable shoving ranges.

When you have 20 BBs effective you have more options than push/fold but 3Xing is going to be horrible at those stack sizes no matter what format you're playling.

I play hyper turbos on stars almost exclusively. So 500 chip starting stack, fast action, ante's, very agressive and stealing is a huge part so my opinions come mainly from that play. I do play live as well and 3xing isnt, but pushing is still crazy unless its later on. But then, the same is true of Hypers, later on, its all about push or fold.

What is working for me because of that is a small raise later on, min raising is being seen as being very strong. I think its all about mixing it up so your range can't be read, not just about poker by numbers.......

C

CANDYMAN1414

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play hyper turbos on stars almost exclusively. So 500 chip starting stack, fast action, ante's, very agressive and stealing is a huge part so my opinions come mainly from that play. I do play live as well and 3xing isnt, but pushing is still crazy unless its later on. But then, the same is true of Hypers, later on, its all about push or fold.

What is working for me because of that is a small raise later on, min raising is being seen as being very strong. I think its all about mixing it up so your range can't be read, not just about poker by numbers.......
Doesnt this make you very easily taken by a slow play near the middle in those tourneys?

N

Nooneinparticular

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They last about 7 to 8 minutes, and the middle is typically the bubble 3 or 4 handed, so no one can really slow play. Of course if I min raise, and get flat called by someone who is TAG or even timid mouse rings all sorts of alarm bells..... It all depends on what the player doing the slow play flat call is like.

I am of course using a sophisticated HUD system which is giving me VPIP, PFR and all sorts of other stuff and changes it depending on which street you are on.....

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blah blah blah blah

You are a complete contradiction. First you abuse a poster about not playing "real poker" and then you mention you almost exclusively play hyper-turbos on Stars, about as close to an allin/fold tourney structure as you can get.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But to get back to the OPs legit question, the best thing you can do is learn "proper" starting hand ranges based on position. In a nutshell, play top 10 hands in early position, top 15 in mid position, and top 25 in late position.

^^^ vague, general advice only ... do not take verbatim

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Learn patience. Infinite patience...

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who wants to play "real poker" shouldn't play SNGs. SNGs are about playing solved spots over and over, abusing the bubble, maintaining FE and optimal/unexploitable shoving ranges.

When you have 20 BBs effective you have more options than push/fold but 3Xing is going to be horrible at those stack sizes no matter what format you're playling.
My Dad says this is one guy from Cardschat who's posts I should read alot of. I can't see him saying that if he thought this guy wasn't a really good player.
I've also been reading Collin Moshmann's Sit'nGo book a bunch and to me this sounds right.

The one thing I have been told to do is to READ A POKER BOOK. I thought I would hate it but I actually really like it. Makes me want to play even more.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) listen to baudib1.
2) review and post hands and try to understand the theory behind poker
3) join a training site.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Stop playing sngs.
2) If you still have the urge to play sngs see rule 3.
3) Stop playing poker.

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can fix everything you said in op, with hard work and studying. So maybe you should add being lazy

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was referring to what form of poker you meant. Cash game, MTT, DYN?

The only valid form of poker is cash games. Deep stacked. You do have a choice to make between NLHE and PLO.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only valid form of poker is cash games. Deep stacked. You do have a choice to make between NLHE and PLO.
Pretty sure Olivier Busquet would disagree with that. What's not valid about crushing a game for millions and making more than nearly every other player year on year?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty sure Olivier Busquet would disagree with that. What's not valid about crushing a game for millions and making more than nearly every other player year on year?

Meh, Busquets plays heads up. When you play heads up, it does not really matter if you play cash or a SNG since ICM does not come to play and you have cEV = $EV. Also, heads up, most of the SNG is played deep stacked, contrarily to the multiplayer version where most of it is played with shallow stacks.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You never play more than 75bb deep in a standard SnG HU, you probably average around 40bb over the match whist isn't deep, also pretty sure he played some hypers where you're never deeper than 25bb. As long as you make money then it's a valid form of poker imo.

If you wanted to say purest form of poker rather than valid, I'd agree it's cash (HUNL deep being the purest imo).

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah um JJ/QQ are the nuts in STTs. if youre going to be playing SnGs, learn ICM or stop playing them, period.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only use nash push range for under 8bb and do not use the calling range since villains almost never push nash. Create your own calling range depending on what you perceive villains shoving range to be.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only use nash push range for under 8bb and do not use the calling range since villains almost never push nash. Create your own calling range depending on what you perceive villains shoving range to be.

Obviously. Nash is the unexploitable range. Which you need to know in order to see how villain deviates from unexploitability, and how you can therefore exploit him.

Still, something that a bot could easily do better than a human... not poker, imo.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm... 'one' thing? I'd say 'table selection' - try to get onto some tables with most of the people responding on this thread & it'll surely increase your winrate.

Best post in the thread.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Twice ITT I have read 2 different reasonably respected posters around here mention that S'n'G's are 'solved'.:eek:

Other than putting our nuts in a vice, and playing only super premium hands (which doesn't happen often) I know of no 'solution' to this brand of poker.:eek::eek:

Point me in that direction please, I am looking to augment my retirement.........:cool::)

I

InfamousAmos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better to give up BB than to keep limping in. Play from the button, read some books.

Chens Forumla helps me a lot for live table games

Top 10 Games