What should you do when You run bad even after taking break

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try playing with me... your luck will surely change! ;)

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ONLY reason to take a break is if running bad causes you to play poorly or go on Tilt.

Taking a break isn't going to change how the cards will run out for you. I'm amazed by the answers here (again no surprise there... sigh). Do you think that by taking a break the cards will fall differently because some new pattern of LUCK is now going to fall upon you?

You play. While playing you make the best possible decisions based on the information you have in each & every spot. End of story. That's all there is to it.

Also, spend more time studying the game. You might not win a lot more but you probably won't feel the need to take a break in hopes of it changing your luck... & you'll probably lose less.
I totally agree! What if you take your break and you miss you lucky streak? On the other hand, if you are tilted and can't manage to accept that bad streaks are just a natural part of the game, you should do something to make you feel better. Sometimes in the evening after a day of only bad stupid games ( today I lost e.g. 3 games in arow to 72s, 93o and 46o with my monsters) I just shut down poker and watch a movie or two, as I don't wanna see more of these stupid pokerplayers that just seem to show up to get me tilted .:hahaha:

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play within your bankroll, (which I dont) it will carry you thru your run bad. IMHO

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
throw a temper tantrum and then replay the sequence--evaluate your game play

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you got a bad run, you gotta take a look at your game.

Calling way to many 3 bets
Flatcalling to wide a range in early position
Playing to much out of position
Calling with bad odds
Giving away too good odds to villain
Ignoring your gut feeling
Not analyzing the hand right
Playing tired
Playing while watching tv or other stuff
Poor handling of bankroll management
Playing the right type of poker

Educate yourself even more, bring your A game up to speed ;)

Loved everything you said except "Ignoring your gut feeling"

If you are going to play with true EV, using sound logic and knowledge of ranges and equity vs pot odds vs implied odds. You need to completely ignore "Your gut feeling" not endorse using your "gut feeling" so often a gut feeling leads to miss reads. And some people just have a spirit of fear about them that leads them to leaving alot of money behind on the felt. And for others it could be a spirit of arrogance causing them to consistently have a "gut feeling" there "good".

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better take brake again cause you seems tilted and I can say that than you tilted you can not win.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
try to evaluate your tournaments, especially the plays in which you had problems, many times it is not just taking breaks, but to evaluate the plays that are presented to us, it also happens that when we lose an important play with a good hand that It can blind us a bit and we make more mistakes

V

Vasilii813

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Message 6'

After the break it is necessary to adjust again to choose playing hands and so on. After the break I could not adjust and began to play cheap on four tables and few worked then I stopped read five book about poker to understand what I'm doing wrong. Three day read but then sat down, opened the tournament and the first time took 3rd place out of 360 people. Suggest after the break to read a little literature about online poker, there are many interesting things. Good luck!

D

Drogba_Legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I'm running really bad. I took a break and still find myself in so many unlucky spots. What can I do when I run really bad in tournament?

What do you mean by break? Few hours? Day? Or longer? I mean, I would take a longer break if I'd running bad. Maybe a week or two. I would learn more about poker also.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a bad run, often it was suggested to take a break. Taking break really helps to overcome the bad run. But sometimes this formula doesn't work. Why? I think it depends on the quality of the break you are taking.
During break if you were thinking of bad run or poker or about the game then i am sure it won't work. Break is meant to relax your mind so that it may refresh itself. And that is possible only when you take your mind away from the tension of the game.
Best thing to do during break is enjoy something else and forget about the poker. After break you will feel the difference. Good luck.

magik9118

magik9118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cry i cry and then...i play again and again...until i win again...lol

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't Give Up... Change Your Play Style... Or Use Play Chips Until You Right your self...

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play the game with a small buy-in, the victory will go - go to the game with an average buy-in. If you do not win the game with a small buy-in more than a month, then poker is not your = (

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you should try play money some time... until you fell well to play again

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think reading poker books or rather poker strategy helps meto refocus on what im trying to achieve and the thinking behind it
I think that actual play is done mostly on instinct and not much concrete thought
so if you preprogram yourself you avoid much of the tilt

internet play happens so relatively fast that it becomes more instinctual than thoughtful
going back to the fundamentals or revising the thinking behind what you do makes the difference for me

G

God_Mode_On

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Running for for 6 months now

Hey fellahs,

I'm just so over my wits. I have been a winning poker player for almost 16 years now playing online.
However the past 6 months have been the worst in my entire career. It just won't stop!

I have reevaluated my game over and over and over up to the point where it just makes me so so tired. I can't find a leak which actually is good, but all I do know for sure is that I am losing pretty much all hands/all ins in crucial and non crucial spots in tournaments. (I'm a tournament player solely).

Not even just the flips (I now have lost 120 out of the last 157 to be exact), but the AK's against a worse ace, the overpairs against underpairs. When I do seem to have the luck on my side for once, catching my miracle card on the flop, the river brings the 2 outer to villain.
My flopped top top gets smashed by runner runner flush or straight. My 10BB shoves with AJ form the button into the blinds get called by AK or AQ over and over not finding the luck on my side not even once when I'm dominated.

I am a passionate player and always have been but the past weeks when I boot my PC to buyin again I'm thinking to myself: "Why am I doing this actually?"

Sorry for my whining ladies en gentlemen. But should I just take a break for a week or so...?

What do you guys do when running like horse shit for such an extended period?

Last edited:
mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recently I'm running really bad. I took a break and still find myself in so many unlucky spots. What can I do when I run really bad in tournament?

try to study your weak points and when you decided to play again start from lower stakes than ones you normally play.
a two week break would be nice for good come back and crushing the game

H3kf

H3kf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read same information about poker (books, articles)

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Downturn despite playing your game, no tilt. Not playing

If you play poker, eventually, you hit a downturn.
If your overall play has been good, don't tilt. Bad runs happen all the time.
Had a day of tourneys lined up , friend called. I skipped the tourneys. By not playing, I felt refreshed, better connected. A complete break was exactly what I needed. A break of some sort may be beneficial for you and your poker game.

Darwinjose14

Darwinjose14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel bad and can not show your best game, it's better to take a break and do some other things.

cidul

cidul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What does it means to you 'running bad'? You need to analyze your game. I do believe your 'running bad' it is just you making wrong choices. If you ever think taking a break will help the cards coming different next time for you you will end up being in the same situation again and again like running in circle and asking yourself 'What am I doing wrong?'

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you continue to have a downswing I would definitely reccomend a week or longer off..get your head relaxed and possibly look back at some of your hands and see if you can see a pattern or reason for your results..do some due diligence about your play and the results can always change and will