What do you do with the push every hand guy?

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We've all seen this guy in the freerolls and low $ tournaments. He's the one pushing all-in 95% of his hands and somehow is high stack on the table. How do you combat this guy without getting wiped out by his unbelievable dumb luck?

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 ways to combat him
#1 be patient and let him double you up with your premium hands
#2 get it in with him with a not so premium hand, all you need to be is the dominating hand in most cases
#1 is the best thing to do, be patient

Loky13

Loky13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually try and get him with a premium hand like QQ,KK or AK,but if he's lucky he might still win and leave you with a bad beat. The other option is to let another player bust him,if you go all in all the time,there's a huge risk someone will bust you eventually.. So,my advice,wait for the big hand to go all in with or wait till someone else gets it and busts him :))

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He will bust soon so just wait or get some of his chips yourself with good cards.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes theres nothing you can do
I just ran into one pushing pushing pushing, obviously not taking the game seriously
I get aces he has 94c
94 on flop, board doesn't pair to help me out
out with aa vs 94
isn't that gross ?

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes theres nothing you can do
I just ran into one pushing pushing pushing, obviously not taking the game seriously
I get aces he has 94c
94 on flop, board doesn't pair to help me out
out with aa vs 94
isn't that gross ?
Yes it is. And worse, he will probably think, he played a great game :D

S

StraightValue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get a good starting hand, close your eyes and call it off. Hope for the best

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
See thats just it. should not have to HOPE that the better hand wins or the very dominate hand holds. Thats not real poker, thats max action site poker.
Yes alot of times them donks wont make the money but most of us wont be around to see it cause the site feeds them with good players chips

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not your job to "combat" someone, so get rid of this urge to be the sherif and police the tables. If you hand is strong enough to make a +EV call, then you call. If not then you fold. How strong depend on stack sizes, the number of players left to act after you, and the ICM situation.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not your job to "combat" someone, so get rid of this urge to be the sherif and police the tables. If you hand is strong enough to make a +EV call, then you call. If not then you fold. How strong depend on stack sizes, the number of players left to act after you, and the ICM situation.

poker is war

in war you go to combat
didn't suggest to get it in bad,
just don't be worried about aq not being good enough, it probably is
but what do I know? I played AA against an all-in every hand player and it lost

Last edited:
agrivion

agrivion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is how I go about it. Once I have what I believe is a solid hand I bait him by doing a small raise. Once he bites I all in. You slap him 2-3 times, he’ll knock that shit off.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for a good hand and go all in. He is basically giving away his chips, though there is the risk of losing, but its an easy opportunity for a double up.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We've all seen this guy in the freerolls and low $ tournaments. He's the one pushing all-in 95% of his hands and somehow is high stack on the table. How do you combat this guy without getting wiped out by his unbelievable dumb luck?

I'm that guy. Will push all-in with 70% or more hands in a freeroll or micro cent MTTs.
Excuse for cruel words, but I believe that if it's a freeroll with 4K participants and there is just 1-2-10 places paid, then those who LIMP at any stage of such freeroll are complete morons. Those who want to see the flop with 2-3BB opening bet having like 10-15-20BB stack - these player must see the doctor or go back to school to study mathematics, or maybe read poker articles and books instead of watching poker WPT or EPT on TV or youtube.

If you've increased your initial stack x20 times then its worth to play decent poker, ofc if such stack is good enough to say in top 5-10% of the players. If I was hosting such freerolls I would change the rules. 1) No late registration 2) All players will automatically go all-in during first 10 hands. 3) survivors = 10% of players or less can play poker after all-in part.

Because is it really worth to play like a tight nit if there is just 1 ticket to the subsatellite with 4K players playing for it? Do you really believe that it's worth to think about such games like if it's a life changing game? In majority of these cheap games prizes for 2 hour long tournaments are cheaper than hourly rate for doing some cheap job. When you're doing some job - you'll be paid for sure, while in such tournaments only 1 in 400 or 4000 will be paid, and often it's just a ticket to some other tourney, where you have to be lucky and prove your skills again.

SO is it worth to waste your wsop skills playing such tourneys or it's better to push all-in with any connectors and quit wasting the time?

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's quite a common and dare I say it effective tactic for a number of freerolls. pokerstars freerolls were notorious for it. Guys would shove the first few hands to double or triple up and then sit out and blind their way into the money. Either way they have spent just a few minutes playing that tournament and then they are either out and can focus on another game, or they are virtually guaranteed a cash.

I just let them get on with it. If I get a premium hand when they're shoving, of course, I'm going to snap it off. But, like with any other hand, there is always a chance you're going to get it in good and still get beat. Then you swear at the poker gods and move on.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is war

in war you go to combat
didn't suggest to get it in bad,
just don't be worried about aq not being good enough, it probably is
but what do I know? I played AA against an all-in every hand player and it lost

I was not particularly replying you. I was replying OP. He is the one, who asked, how to "combat" the all-in player. And the answer is still, dont think of it like that. The goal is not to stop the all-in player, the goal is to win his chips if possible, and if not to just maintain our own stack. Sure AQ is probably good enough to call if not to many players left to act after you. But its also no big deal to just fold, if you dont pick up good hands, and let someone else walk into the line of fire.

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyway you need a hand much stronger than opponent's range, especially if you are in the early stage of tournament. I would call him with 55+,A10o+,KQ,J10s+

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These players are annoying, but against them have a chance to double your stack, you just have to wait for good hands.

D

DONTSHOW

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Coming from a guy who does that in a lot of the freerolls on ACR when I'm just fooling around.. I say don't be scared to call. Majority of the time I will do it with crap.. If I get to a certain amount of chips I stop shoving but if I not it's a freeroll and lost nothing..

:icon_rr:

L

lincs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't necessarily think you need huge premium hands to take him out.

But, I guess it really depends on when he's shoving.
If he's always shoving pre-flop. In my opinion, play all Pockets, and A-J+, A5s
You probably will get sucked out. But on average, you're going to win. Usually for an MTT, there are re-buys. So just buy back in and try again. He should pay you off well (if he has not stopped going all in)

If he's going all in on the flop every time:
pre-flop, you're going to want to slow play QQ+ so if you have the over pair on the flop, make like a 15% pot bet to induce the shove.

Main thing again is to be patient. Don't start calling off with suited 1 gappers and marginal at best hands.

Of course, you could always just play his game right back. If he's shoving on the flop. Make sure you're out of position, so you can make a nice bet pre-flop, so no matter what the flop is, you can just rip it in before he does. There are actually plenty of options. Sometimes you have to get creative.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't know. He wouldn't be doing it if it weren't working for him, and obviously it has.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is key. The point is if you're folding to his craziness, you're still in the tournament.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just be patient he is pushing all in for 100+ blinds we have all seen it . Wait for your premium hands and cut him down. Sure his 7 2 might beat your kings but more often than not it won't. Remember he's pushing every hand so sometimes he will have the goods don't call off with Ax yourself.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is always the key for this type of player. Just wait for your hand and make sure he cashes you out for it.

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get a good hand hopefully and get him then, so yes patience is key.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands