What do you do if you keep getting junk?

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
This has happened to me a lot and I have also asked myself the same question: is it part of the game? I think that yes, it is part of the game because imagine that you always have premium hands and win (the gods of poker must love a person a lot for that to happen), many times you just have to be very patient, other times you will have to take risks, but I think that as long as you have a good amount of chips you can have a lot of patience and wait for the right moment, when this happens to me at the beginning I just have patience, and from time to time I get good cards but I still lose those plays and that's when I get a little desperate and lose control of everything I have done, it is something that still costs me but I try to work on it whenever I can

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't play your cards. Play your position instead. If you're in early position, fold everything except JJ+, AQ+ (or if you're even more conservative, fold the AQ's too). If you're in late position and nobody has opened the pot yet, you should raise any 2 cards and try to steal the blinds.

I hate to post this because someone is sure to see it and it might negatively impact my strategy, but this is how I've been doing it lately and I've seen a dramatic improvement in my results. I used to be that kind of player who would just sit and fold until I got "good cards" but I finally got the idea into my head that you MUST steal blinds to survive, and usually you must do it with sub-optimal cards. Get comfortable doing this sort of thing. For me, I practiced it at play chips on Stars first, so my learning experiences wouldn't cost me real money... but my improved results have come at ACR in real money play, so this isn't a play chip thing at all.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Get aggressive in position. Use your tight table rep and put pressure on the blinds.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don’t be greedy and be patient i think.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You keep folding because the hands is not worth risking chips.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I played a few turbo sit n gos and for a solid 2 hrs was just getting pure junk hands. Then ending up super short stacked just through not playing many hands.

What do you do when this happens, I guess it's just part of the game? Should I have started to play some less favourable hands?

Good day!
Do you know what distinguishes a good player from a bad one? Ability to wait and patiently throw away garbage hands.
Sometimes you can try to steal the blinds on the image, but it all depends on the players at the table. Someone may not believe that you finally got a hand.
Of course, the higher the blinds, the looser you need to open. But certainly not with hands that have no equity at all.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Do not play with junk. Your patience is the key to your success. There are different days, and sometimes the best thing we can do is just take a break.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is OK, but if u are getting shorter and shorter (i mean if u have less than 10 BB), you could not wait for premium hand and blind out . You just have to play what you get. If no action before you in late position, you just push, close your eyes and pray :)

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on several factors - if you have a good grip on the tables ranges, are priced in to call - playing junk is sometimes a good way to break up the play and make you harder to read, again its situational depending on your position/stack size and place in tournament.
I tend to see a lot of junk played in cash games more than tourneys where ranges tend to be the play of most players - every now and again though even the best chuck in a unpredictable hand so dont rule the option out.
Discipline wise - early in a tournament - its a fold for me but as my stack progresses, i will mix it up a bit to disguise the range.

T

tourpro99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All situational imo....but it is hard to be as patient as you probably should be. On the other hand if you are normally a solid ABC-type player playing some trash for a while could help loosen up your table image and get you paid off once the hands do start coming in.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Patience is OK, but if u are getting shorter and shorter (i mean if u have less than 10 BB), you could not wait for premium hand and blind out . You just have to play what you get. If no action before you in late position, you just push, close your eyes and pray :)
Well done dude, cheered me up. I usually do that.:D

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That happens to me on one poker site 90% of the time for some unknown reason, yea right. I just try and hold out hoping to hit something, but never do. So just enjoy playing and saver the few times you actually do hit a good hand.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the situation. It depends on what position you're in, and what your opponents are. But I don't like to play with bad cards, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course, who wouldn't do that, you're 10 bbs or less, so drop your chips on the table and pray, you're going to lose all your chips expecting a big one??

TheIpS

TheIpS

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play several tournaments, then at least one of the tables will have playable hands, and you will not think that you have not been dealt good hands for a very long time.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you play several tables, then you are unlikely to constantly deal weak cards on them, but if in some tournament you are already left with a short stack, then in all other you can go on a weak hand (according to the situation), especially if you have already entered the ICM

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
Dead hands are a good indicator to take a break, it is much worse if you are losing with premium hands, it is more difficult to stop trying to win back your lost bankroll

I hear ya , Sunday i couldn't win any hand no matter how good my hand was,just before the bubble AQ i hit 2 pair guys pushes with 33 and hits on the river . Guys kept hitting the river on only 2 outers. Even hitting runner runner ,so frustrating...

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
There are times and positions where you can play junk cards if you can and you can also get them out with a bit of luck and good play.
That's why poker is so fabulous.

J

Justashot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting junk is part of the game unfortunately. Sometimes you can’t just sit around and wait for premium hands. Sooner or later you going to have to play something subpar.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I simply finish a Game for while...:deal: Why to waste your precious time, and, of course, money?! :rolleyes:
Better to try play again later...:cool: Sometimes can to get more profit, if to play less! ;)
Main, to catch the own wave...:joyman::):D

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nothing you can do just wait for your spot, just be patient and know when to push or fold at the right time

oarroyo

oarroyo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PY
Chips
And the best thing is to have enough patience!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will patiently wait for my chance.