What do you do if you keep getting junk?

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
there's nothing to do just talk and wait for a playable hand!

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're playing really bad players that don't know starting hands and will call you with any two then there is nothing to do but fold because you don't want to go out on trash but it gets to a point where you're going to have to shove with trash and you need to find out what cards you can shove with in that situation, from what position and what type of player if left to act.

If you're playing someone capable of folding then you might be able to get them to fold if your story makes sense.

YOU CANNOT bluff A BAD PLAYER so don't bother.

Last edited:
angelluv725

angelluv725

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not much you can do but ride out the storm. Just like having a good day bad days will come as well. When I get junk hands for a long period of time I'll take a break or go play a different game like Omaha H/L and hope my luck changes .

GL @ U :D
I Like "ride out the storm. Just like having a good day bad days will come as well." So true! :)

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Like "ride out the storm. Just like having a good day bad days will come as well." So true! :)

Happy you like the term . Actually there was an old song by REO Speedwagon called Riden The Storm Out --

GL to you & hope your dry spell ends :D

J

jsiatime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually avoid junk hands.If I can't improve I usually do useless thing to correct my luck..I'll try clicking sit out next big blind...getting back in right away.I'll get out of the site and re-enter.Neither works.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

There is nothing you can do about being card dead for periods of time. It will change. Be careful about overplaying weak hands out of boredom.

Kinganders

Kinganders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends

The key is to make use of your position and bluff home some stacks. The difficulty is ton know "when"

Nizar

Nizar

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there's nothing to do just talk and wait for a playable hand!
As for me, I will wait for a good hand because no matter how long it takes, a good hand will come to you

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wait for a turnaround. I have had those on many occasions. There is nothing wrong with just folding most of the time.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold and usually end up busting without cashing. This is one of the reasons, why I am not a huge fan of very fast tournament structures like the 45-180 man SnG turbos on PokerStars. If you get a period of being card dead in those, you often end up with a 3-4BB stack being forced to call it off in the BB with a totally random hand against 2-3 opponents. In tournaments with a more reasonable structure you have a much better chance to make a come-back, once the card dead period is over.
I agree, I do the same, but at the same time I try to look for situations to steal chips even with bad cards.

mj22

mj22

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CY
Chips
Some of the comments suggested to stop playing or take a break. I say that dealing hands is completely random, and getting junk for a long time is a bit questionable maybe the room is rigged or wants you to lose lol, but its just a coincidence in my opinion.

Try a game with less players on one table, like a 4-max, its more likely to get better hands.
And as for the junk hands, sometimes are playable in their exact situation, so have a lookup on how to play them.

WDStipa

WDStipa

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
It depends on the amount of chips I have, and the current stage of the tournament I'm in., If I am in an advanced stage of a tournament with a lot of chips, I do not feel the need to bluff with bad cards. If I have a lot of chips then I am waiting for better cards.

If I don't have a lot of chips, I try to bluff in occasional situations, depending on the players at the table and the cards that appear on the table. I watch how players play, how often they take risks and so I make a decision about which player and when to bluff.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Depends on how many bigs I have, I will wait n then start taking chances against tighter players

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hey,
When you are deep in a sng, u can afford to fold your junk hands.
But as you get shorter u have to take your spots and widen your range.
I invite you to do some research and study a little. You can find a lot of interesting articles and lessons here on CC.

Good luck at the tables

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If it’s a cash game…leave and play later.

hsimonyan

hsimonyan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I keep folding, but because of this, my stack just starts to disappear, I try to wait for at least a middle hand to make allin, play only in the small and big blinds until this 'black bar' ends;)

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

The best thing is to get up from that table and come back tomorrow
As they say...it´s another day...another play

Rgds

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK so I haven't read any replies but I'm guess most say there's nothing you can do and then some will probably say the same as me......

You can't change what your dealt but you don't want to sit around and get blinded down to much.....

The one thing you can do is bluff, try to puck up the odd pot preflop 3 bet more fold to 4 bets weak. Try take down pots post flop. This won't always work and you'll screw yourself over sometimes forsure but more often than not you'll pick up a few blinds and keep floating.....

Try learning good times to bet and raise work on that it will help tenfold!!!

Yesterday I played a few turbo sit n gos and for a solid 2 hrs was just getting pure junk hands. Then ending up super short stacked just through not playing many hands.

What do you do when this happens, I guess it's just part of the game? Should I have started to play some less favourable hands?

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

In this case, you need to sit and wait. You still have a good hand. Patience and calmness is the most important thing in poker.

ObiwanJ

ObiwanJ

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to wait it out. Maybe also consider the hours you are playing too, if you play in the week there are less recreational players than at the weekend for instance

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This period just needs to be experienced.