Using time bank to help another player at bubble

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completely disagree with this statement and the implied implication. IF I run the time bank, utilize all of it (which is usually full because I rarely use it while at the table). That gives me up to 60 seconds to get back and see another hand without losing a potential blind if you can't see that - oh well!
...The only way you would lose a potential blind is if you're near the blinds already. And you're near the blinds, you might as just well wait. So, yeah, I can't see how you're going to lose a blind here. Please explain.

You might lose a potential ante, but that's irrelevant as you pay antes whether you're away or not.

as for dropping a deuce never said that was what I did but go ahead and assume - just as you assume what I am doing is negative to my own play.
...Did me making a joke about whatever you did away from the game upset you that much? It doesn't matter what you were doing.

As for it being negative to everyone at the table? If everyone stops using the time bank I am happy to do so as well but it even happens in CC games. So I do not see the point in doing something to fulfill an etiquette of the game only a small portion of players adhere to especially in bingo fests like public freerolls.
...Where did i say to stop using the time banks? You can use them in legitimate situations. Leaving the game and making everyone wait for your timer to go down, thus slowing the game and negatively affecting other players is a dick move.

Guess what? Just because other people are dicks at the table and doing the same thing doesn't mean you have to as well. It is possible to be the bigger person.

So I am a dick for not sitting out and utilizing a time bank meanwhile players constantly do this whether they are playing multi-tables or a single table or streaming and get distracted. Their are countless reasons this happens and it happens often, but its nice to see that you have a clear and concise understanding of exactly what the issue is, try to imply I am shooting myself in the foot, regardless of being a part of that particular instance - your insight is awe inspiring!
...Well, you were a dick for not sitting out in the first place. Please tell me how you utilized the time bank when you weren't even there to play the hand.

Then you purposely slowed that game by running down the clock when 2 players upset you. Again, your actions don't just affect 2 players at the table, it affects everyone at the table. Why do the other 6 players, who did nothing, have to wait an extra 30-60 seconds extra when you're in a hand just because your feelings got hurt? Why do they now have to play less hands/level because you want to be a dick to 2 people?

I understand that time banks sometimes go off for people who multitable, live stream, lose connection, whatever. That's not the point. The point is, you admitted to purposely doing this and purposely slowing the game down and that's something I don't agree with.
above.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah if I decide to do it again, ill just not say anything in chat to keep from pissing anyone off more. Thanks everyone

The keeping quiet in chat afore doin somethin like this is a very fine idea. As I am not even good enough at poker to guarantee my own success I will refrain from offering further advice to someone so skilled that they can spend time & effort helpin out those of lesser skill. One thing, you ever see me in that spot, please do not help, thanks in advance.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could be looked at as collusion but unlikely the site would do anything after a one off imo.

^ this.

Plus it wouldn't work in proper tournaments that do hand-for-hand play at the bubble to avoid exactly this problem.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Yeah if I decide to do it again, ill just not say anything in chat to keep from pissing anyone off more. Thanks everyone

The keeping quiet in chat afore doin somethin like this is a very fine idea. As I am not even good enough at poker to guarantee my own success I will refrain from offering further advice to someone so skilled that they can spend time & effort helpin out those of lesser skill. One thing, you ever see me in that spot, please do not help, thanks in advance.

TheNutz4You, I think you are a very kind person and hope you win often, but Kenzie sums up my thoughts.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whatever, I lost interest in this conversation, you are in the Free club but don't have your player names listed in your public profile so I assume you just pick and choose whatever rules suit you and blow off whatever you can get away with.
So your insistence on following protocol holds no water with me due to your lack of consistency.

I can agree to disagree with you on this subject but don't mistake my standing up for myself as having hurt feelings. You started with the name calling I simply reacted tore apart your argument and you disagreed ~ ce la vi
~ I'm out~

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are tables behind which it is nice to play and I myself used to help to survive the same way in a bubble)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your act is noble but not poker because in poker you have to be a shark and to think only about themselves. It's poker not a charity!

A

ArmyRet2014

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker ethics

In tournament poker time is your most valuable resource, so I would never help anybody out by stalling, but I understand and have been in his predicament. With the way online poker is set up now, they severely cripple the short stacks because when it gets close to the money bubble, (ACR) goes to Hand-For-Hand and most of the time a big portion of the field is just sitting out, and the rest of the field don't want to get involved in hands with anybody because the money bubble is so close so stalling essentially has no effect. I would personally rather support somebody stalling to stay alive than somebody who has sat out for 30+ minutes because that is the only way they know how to make it to the money, but that is probably because I am a competitive person.

P.S. If you are clearly telling somebody you are going to stall for them, that could be reported as collusion and there would be serious consequences no matter where you are playing.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i think it's a bit exaggerated comparison. As i wrote at last two sentences, everyone at the table has that risk to be a bubble boy too! And therefore everyone should be happy to get through that and get into the money, or not? Of course, if your table playing slowly, obviously you will see less hands until blinds increase, but it also means you are less likely to get cooler hand dealt which by a bad fortune could probably kick you out of the tournament as a bubble boy even with a bigger stack. So it seems to be a win-win situation at the end of the day and in your example it isn't.[/QUOTE]

We can agree to disagree. About the win-win situation: while a confrontation could make you bust, it could also double your stack, not to mention that if you want to avoid confrontations before the bubble you don't need to abuse the time button, you can just simply fold. So I don't really see what gain you could possibly have yourself. Let me give you another example: you go fishing and notice a water snake eating a frog. Would you intervene and harm the snake in order to save the frog? After all, you would be doing a good did to the frog, save it's life, but what about the snake?

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation, you helped your opponent and there is nothing wrong with that. Your time-bank - it's your personal time and you have the right to decide how to dispose of this time.
I had a situation in the tournament when I was on a bubble with a short stack. I used my time-bank in every hand to the end. My opponent on the table also had a short stack and also used his time-bank to the end. In this situation, we understood each other, and there is nothing wrong with that. For myself, I concluded - well, when poker players understand each other.

B

bravissim0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once I won almost all the chips from one person and I felt sorry for him. Then I tried to think a little more than usually that he went as far as possible. We chatted and he turned out to be a nice guy

Q

quake419

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YOU call that POKER

My friend this game is a game for the LIONS your main concern should be you and you winning alone. More over if you win you can always look this player up and give him some of your winnings if you should cash this a dog eat dog game. After the battle shake hands and move on to the next conquest. You trying to help some can hinder your playing greatness or help. Think Me Me Me Me Me when playing.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You would not have to make any remark about helping the player in chat for the individual to notice the favor. I always prefer people at my table getting paid than some other anonymous table, especially when there are hundreds of sitouts as is the usual at BetOnline.

A comment in the chat saying something like congrats for making it in the money is more than enough to jar their memory that you may have had a hand in their cashing.

2NaCl

2NaCl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I was playing in a Betonline $200 freeroll that got 1200+ runners in it. It got down to the money bubble which payed 40 places. When it got to 44 left another player at my table was extremely short only had 3BB and I noticed he was using every second he could to make his play. So having been in that exact situation myself, trying to sneak into the money, I wrote in chat that I would use my complete timebank (120secs+) to try and help him make it into the money. No one else at the table did this, and when the buble finally burst he had less than 1 BB and made the money. He thanked me in chat and then another person at the table made a comment to the extent of why don't you dumba**es stop taking for ever to play.

How do you guys feel about this? I get not wanting to slow the game down, but the guy made it through 1200+ people down to 40 and I thought it was a nice gesture. it wasn't down to hand for hand yet until 41 so by time banking I prolly got him in the money. I ended up making it to 14th place so maybe the good karma payed off.:D

What a nice thing to do, faith in humanity restored! I've personally been in the bubble situation a couple of times where I'm holding myself from my teeth trying to stay alive with a few antes and it ain't fun!

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You would not have to make any remark about helping the player in chat for the individual to notice the favor. I always prefer people at my table getting paid than some other anonymous table, especially when there are hundreds of sitouts as is the usual at BetOnline.

A comment in the chat saying something like congrats for making it in the money is more than enough to jar their memory that you may have had a hand in their cashing.

You are absolutely right here. I will keep all of the suggestions and comments close by in any future situations. Thanks

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well this went str8 to the crapper haha anyway i do this shiot all the time so I am a diock:) If your not down with that I got two words for ya

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
well this went str8 to the crapper haha anyway i do this shiot all the time so I am a diock:) If your not down with that I got two words for ya

Lol, Yeah I don't regret doing what I did, but I would go about it differently with the chat box next time around. I wasn't expecting as much feedback from this topic, but glad we did in fact get a lot of discussion. Thanks

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

2 words eh

Excellent point

Very interesting

Is I getting close? :)

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips

I have been known in the past to tell someone not to do it after I just had a look at the flop with 98 and flop hits 998. ;)

I just couldn't KO the nice guy that was looking like he wanted to play.....:D

That was a CC game though, and the guy is a nice guy, a senior but still a nice guy.

;)

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a nice gesture by you, many of us considers a table of poker like a battle field and any apponent must be down, but I am sure of every one that play poker was wasting time to survive a least one time. Really nice.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It is a nice gesture by you, many of us considers a table of poker like a battle field and any apponent must be down, but I am sure of every one that play poker was wasting time to survive a least one time. Really nice.

Yup, I have been on the other end of this before, using every second I got to try and sneak into the money with 1 or 2bb. love seeing hands take a while during this. when its hand for hand then I don't have a choice, gotta shove

E

EvE2K

Of course sometimes i did the same thing. Helping the nice guys to get in to the prizes. But that depends on the people. You know sometimes some donks can raise you time after time, you have no hand so you need to fold it and wait for your chance, and if i will raise my stack and this donk will be in trouble, for sure i will raise him, even if i will have the most garbage hand in the world! This is important to make this guys out. Maybe next time they will understand that this is poker and not a bingo game.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Of course sometimes i did the same thing. Helping the nice guys to get in to the prizes. But that depends on the people. You know sometimes some donks can raise you time after time, you have no hand so you need to fold it and wait for your chance, and if i will raise my stack and this donk will be in trouble, for sure i will raise him, even if i will have the most garbage hand in the world! This is important to make this guys out. Maybe next time they will understand that this is poker and not a bingo game.

Yes you are absolutely correct here. If the guy was playing like a jackoff, getting it in bad right and left but sucking out ect, then I snap fold hands I don't play near the bubble and he is short. but this guy played solid poker while at my table and caught a bad break on 1 hand to leave him with about 6bb.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could be looked at as collusion but unlikely the site would do anything after a one off imo.

I suppose it could be counter argued that it is a tactic to keep the weaker players in the game to improve ones own advantage later.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This often happens with aggressive players, but your help was only an opportunity for you to think of yourself as a good Samaritan ...