Turbo or not?

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow tournament if you are not a gambling type of players, fast tourney forces you to gamble from the beginning because you can't afford to wait for premium hands, therefore slow tournaments are far less depend on luck factor, and you can use your skill advantage.

Last edited:
M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play slow tournaments . It gives me much more time to study my opponents and their styles of play , and make decissions accordingly . When playing turbo or faster , then very soon you're left with 10-15-20BB (unless you double up fast) , and then don't have much of a choice aka gamble time .

I'd rather play longer ,concentrate and focus on all , and actually reach final table , or bust cause they outdrawn me or were just luckier , then play faster tourneys and end up pushing KQ with 15bb and being called with an ace , and its gg well played... :icon_sant

Happy holidays m8

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In first instance I love slow tournament if they don't have more than one rebuy cause otherwise with unlimited rebuys becomes boring in my opinion, but I also love turbo tournaments and SNGs I love to play them a lot I'll try to get back to CC club and recover poker passion hehe Merry Christmas ⛄�� guys

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, the slow structure of the tournament makes a lot of profit.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill edges show more in tournaments with a slow structure, because you get to play more hands, and you also get to play with deeper stacks, which is more complex and allow for bigger mistakes to be made. So if you are a winning player, then everything else equal you will have a higher ROI in slow tournaments.

However this does not mean, that winning players always want to avoid turbos. They take less time to play, so while your ROI might be lower, your hourly winrate could be similar or even higher. Turbos are also convenient, when you are short on time, and if they are softer, that can also boost your winrate. Or maybe the next turbo is the only tournament suitable for your bankroll, and then obviously its better to play that one that to sit and wait for hours for another tournament to begin.

At the end of the day the most important factor for your winrate is the quality of competition. And maybe recreational players are not always so fond of tournaments, that will last for 7-8 hours. And in that case maybe playing the turbos can actually give a higher ROI, because you will be facing more bad opponents. At the end of the day you just need to try the different games available on your site of choise to find those, that are most suitable for you.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it is slow for sure. It suits my style of play best.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The best results I have obtained have been in slow tournaments, very few in turbo, in addition to that I like slow tournaments more, I feel more comfortable trying to apply what little I know and what I consider my strategies, in many turbo tournaments at the beginning it is fine, but then there is more pressure to obtain chips

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate turbo, its because i cant enjoy the game, all i have to do is try to get a big stack, and the pressure is too much to the point that its not even enjoyable anymore for me.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally i prefer slow play then fast. Turbo speed tournament has a randomly results depends on luck. I prefer tournaments where skills got more valuable then luck so i choose slow playing tournament mainly.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I pretty much just play turbos/hypers, don't like the slower tournaments 'cause they're too boring and never end. I prefer a tournament that is faster, can stay more focused and give me more adrenaline.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like the turbo tournaments, because that way I don't get tired a lot and I am more concentrated, the fluidity makes me be more aware of the game, because it happens to me that when the tournaments are very long, you get to a moment to get too tired and I feel that I am not giving the best of me and I start to have mistakes due to fatigue and stress that can generate being several hours playing, but little by little you have to have a habit of the game so that when you want to have long sessions can not affect your concentration, good luck to everyone at the tables.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer slow but for some reason better results in turbo.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In first instance I love slow tournament if they don't have more than one rebuy cause otherwise with unlimited rebuys becomes boring in my opinion, but I also love turbo tournaments and SNGs I love to play them a lot I'll try to get back to CC club and recover poker passion hehe Merry Christmas ⛄�� guys

Good luck to you, and Merry Christmas to all of you, and I hope the normal life will return to what it was before the Corona virus, we are tired of these procedures that do not want to end.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello

Skill edges show more in tournaments with a slow structure, because you get to play more hands, and you also get to play with deeper stacks, which is more complex and allow for bigger mistakes to be made. So if you are a winning player, then everything else equal you will have a higher ROI in slow tournaments.

However this does not mean, that winning players always want to avoid turbos. They take less time to play, so while your ROI might be lower, your hourly winrate could be similar or even higher. Turbos are also convenient, when you are short on time, and if they are softer, that can also boost your winrate. Or maybe the next turbo is the only tournament suitable for your bankroll, and then obviously its better to play that one that to sit and wait for hours for another tournament to begin.

At the end of the day the most important factor for your winrate is the quality of competition. And maybe recreational players are not always so fond of tournaments, that will last for 7-8 hours. And in that case maybe playing the turbos can actually give a higher ROI, because you will be facing more bad opponents. At the end of the day you just need to try the different games available on your site of choise to find those, that are most suitable for you.

I totally agree with you, it is not possible to sit at the final table in a slow tournament, unless you master and apply all the strategies and skills you have learned,
And also, control all kinds of feelings while playing,
Therefore, I find that slow tournaments are more difficult than others.
Because as you said, the tournament may take from 6 to 8 hours or much more than that, and here a good player or a professional takes into account the duration of the tournament, Thus, he does not rush to make a decision, and also does not risk hands that are not the max on the board.
So much so that he depends entirely in his game on the max being on the board, and sometimes the opponent’s reading skill

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Slowest possible structure is the best one for consistency. 15-20 mins levels are preferable. But ultra hyper turbo freerolls with 1-2 mins levels at 888poker saves some time, it's the only bright side.

WDStipa

WDStipa

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I don't like to play on hyper speed level. The chips are disappearing too fast just by blinds, so you can't play it slow. I would say that on hyper speed level tournaments, players depend on luck more than in turbo or slow speed level tournaments where the skill comes to expression. I know that it's hard to stay focus and control your emotions all the time while playing slow speed level tournaments, but I still prefer playing slow tournaments. Although I am not a pro player (far from that) I still prefer to rely on my skill, than on my luck.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In turbo tournaments, the cost of mistakes is very high, sometimes you simply do not have the opportunity to return to the tournament after them, so it is very important to make the right key decisions during the game. Above we said that high speed and a faster transition to the push-fold stage neutralize the difference in the level of the game, but I would like to draw your attention to the fact that minor mistakes at a long distance, which, when playing turbocharged tournaments, are easier to play, add up into colossal amounts of losses.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play turbo when I have little time and it's more fun

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In slower formats you should be able to generate higher ROIs, but your win per hr may be lower because the tourneys take longer. The faster the speed the more ICM is important and the slower the speed the more post flop play is important. To me the best mix of games is whatever allows you to win the most per hr.

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have the patience for the slow tournaments. So for me turbo is perfect, hyper can be tough but I seem to win more with a better starting hand in hyper overall but still lady luck and I still have our fallouts once every seems like five minutes 🤣🤣🤣

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normal speed, you get used to it..

I get better results with normal speed hold 'em. It's what I am used to. Turbo is nice speed-wise, but it rewards pure luck too much.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play both, but for a bigger tournaments I rather play a slow game

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can’t say for sure, but I prefer the normal speed of the game.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I prefer to play medium tournaments where the blinds rise 6-8 minutes. Too long tournaments are exhausting, and it's a shame when you get run over on the river in a low pay zone. It's a pity the time spent on the tournament. Too fast tournaments are also bad because everyone tries to double their stack and go all-in through the distribution. Such tournaments are fast, but hopefully you will not be run over.