Trapping in poker is a strategy or a silly move?

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those who don't know what Trap is in poker.
" Trap is a passive move, like checking or calling, to hide the strength of the hand "
I see many players making this type of move in Cardschat freerolls. In my opinion, it's a very risky move, today in one of the CC tournaments, I saw the player with AA clean in the BB, another player who was on the button, and who had limped, hit two pair on the flop, resulting in the player who cleaned with AA he lost all his chips.
I confess I remember one time I limped with KK, but the villain was very aggressive and I was short on chips, in this case I even consider making the move in an attempt to double my chips.
But making this type of play like our friend above did, having more than 36bb, I consider it a very bad move.
And do you usually make this kind of move?
" Trap is a passive move, like checking or calling, to hide the strength of the hand "
I see many players making this type of move in Cardschat freerolls. In my opinion, it's a very risky move, today in one of the CC tournaments, I saw the player with AA clean in the BB, another player who was on the button, and who had limped, hit two pair on the flop, resulting in the player who cleaned with AA he lost all his chips.
I confess I remember one time I limped with KK, but the villain was very aggressive and I was short on chips, in this case I even consider making the move in an attempt to double my chips.
But making this type of play like our friend above did, having more than 36bb, I consider it a very bad move.
i do use the trap, but not that often, it can backfire on you.

Statsman1

Statsman1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Is this discussion about trapping? Or slow-playing?

Slow-playing AA preflop is probably the most frustrating way to lose chips that is 100% your own fault. If you see a flop by limping / checking with AA, you are asking for trouble.

To me, trapping would be hitting a third A (or hitting any trips) on the flop, then checking...you want the other guy to think you missed.

Not doing anything preflop with AA is just slow-playing it, and can lead to doom.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm inclined to think I was the bad guy. Angryous at you... LOL

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I don't know if I can even call it trapping pre-flop. Limping with AA or KK is the stupidest mistake one could ever make in poker. On the other hand, trapping after you've flopped a monster is more adequate, especially against an aggressive or a maniac player.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
As it was once explained to me, in lower stakes tournaments trapping is not to be really used as lower buy in players on average are more on the calling station side. So in small buy in tourneys you can and should extract value.

In specific situations vs specific players and table dynamics trapping can be great. But is not a maneuver to be really often used even at higher buy ins.

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it could be both.. In some situations its not the best way to play but like you said if you are playing versus a maniac very agressive player it could be the best way to play.
I believe there are no absolute truths in poker, the players change the situation change so try to understand the moment to make your decision.
I dont like to slowplay at all in the games that i play today (micro-stakes)

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

First of all -- a pedantic point -- A trap is a tactic, not a strategy. It is a tool in your toolbox. Whe you build a house, do you use a hammer for EVERY task? No. But as a tool, the hammer is frequently used, to the point that EVERYONE needs a hammer in their home.

So some tools are used all the time, whilst others only come out when the job is specific enough to require its own tool.

So -- a trap has its time and its place but should not be over-used, lest you be the one getting trapped. (yes, I used LEST in a sentence!)

The problem with over-use of this tool is that you are losing value when you trap. You are losing control when you trap.
If you think you have the lead, then you want to be putting pressure on your opponent and making them pay. Instead, you are letting your opponent decide how much the port will be worth.

Next, if people notice that you regularly trap, then they can use that against you. I make notes on trappy players and reduce/avoid CBets where I haven't hit against those players.

Traps can be effective against particularly aggressive players. Sometimes you have that guy at your table who will 3-bet everything and you're not sure where you are. This is a good opportunity to check/limp and four-bet shove the 3 Bet, with strength.

your new motto should be:
ALMOST NEVER SLOW PLAY / TRAP MONSTER hands.
You will reduce your value and you just may leave the door open to get yourself crushed.

Cheers,
JT

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
i think trapping is risky because it's part luck/reading a player correctly. If they don't think they have a playable hand or are not very aggressive then it'll be harder to trap. on the other hand, I really hate it when I min raise AA in a good position and everyone folds

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is that another name for slow playing? Or does it imply one has to check-raise? I think, one looses the opportunity to gain chips, as one has to wait for the opponent to raise. If he doesn't do that after the flop, the pot stays low.

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Traping in poker is a goood move but sometimes you miss the value when you don't play yhr hand face up

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In low buyins and freerolls I think its better to focus on getting value than on trapping. I see players open limp AA with very deep effective stacks and then they think its rigged that 1 of the 5 players in the hand draws out on them.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have a good hand already in the flora, I definitely do it. But to do this in front of the fleet, never. I don't play fish or limpers.

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I even like trapping, the big problem is when we hold ourselves in a way that we don't accept folding on the river, in fact the hardest part is giving up the investment on the river.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
no, I don’t, because our friend whom you indicated here with your opinion, I agree, it’s better to take the chips that you can take than you lose, you chase after more, you get nothing, that’s the meaning of your words

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dependson the player, the board texture and how I am running that particular day. Its just an option when trying to outmaneuver your opponent and try to get the most equity out of the hand as possible.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why be a stupid strategy. I think it's a good idea when you have a winning hand to set a trap.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use it strategically to protect my check calling range. More specifically against hyper aggressive players.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think you're better off betting your own hand. However, if you know you have a very aggressive player who will keep firing into you, then you can let them bet and then reraise them.

akhilbansal

akhilbansal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Trap is a strategy... like every other strategy in poker -
1. You need to vary and cannot stick to it all the time.
2. Outcome is not dependent on 1 factor.
3. Its a probability game, so every strategy fails at times.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Trapping has its place in poker. I admit I will trap a player when the situation is correct. The problem is if you trap you maybe the one trapped. If you are terting to trap you need to know the player your against. You also need to be able to fold on the river if things go bady.
I 100% agree with you , so thank you for writing my answer. Nothing more deflating than limping with AA and getting called , flop 942 rainbow, shoving all in on the flop and watching the SB turn over 94 and kick your butt to the rail.. ask me about it. Sometimes when you trap you end up being the victim of a retrap, as Luvepoker says.

Kerasuss28

Kerasuss28

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
If you have action first it’s silly but if you have last pozition you can chek call ,otherwise you mis a lot of value

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The danger is setting a trap is that it sometimes goes off and catches your fingers. Cheers!

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
@Gritz18
It seems like it was a fruitful topic. Don't forget to ask for chips in your VIP Tracker.🙂

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello!

I don't like to do that. I either raise my hand or give up. At most I pay a mini-raise depending on the type of player I'm facing.
However, in my opinion, this type of game is not profitable, because in the long term the one who paid the limp will end up taking the pot, even if you pay with AA.