Trapping in poker is a strategy or a silly move?

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For those who don't know what Trap is in poker.
" Trap is a passive move, like checking or calling, to hide the strength of the hand "
I see many players making this type of move in Cardschat freerolls. In my opinion, it's a very risky move, today in one of the CC tournaments, I saw the player with AA clean in the BB, another player who was on the button, and who had limped, hit two pair on the flop, resulting in the player who cleaned with AA he lost all his chips.
I confess I remember one time I limped with KK, but the villain was very aggressive and I was short on chips, in this case I even consider making the move in an attempt to double my chips.
But making this type of play like our friend above did, having more than 36bb, I consider it a very bad move.
And do you usually make this kind of move?

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
" Trap is a passive move, like checking or calling, to hide the strength of the hand "
I see many players making this type of move in Cardschat freerolls. In my opinion, it's a very risky move, today in one of the CC tournaments, I saw the player with AA clean in the BB, another player who was on the button, and who had limped, hit two pair on the flop, resulting in the player who cleaned with AA he lost all his chips.
I confess I remember one time I limped with KK, but the villain was very aggressive and I was short on chips, in this case I even consider making the move in an attempt to double my chips.
But making this type of play like our friend above did, having more than 36bb, I consider it a very bad move.
Risky move or not - eventually 90% of the table folds anyway (in cardchat games) so it probably dont even matter whether you fly all-in or try to trick others to think you actually dont have that great cards lol ...

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Trapping has its place in poker. I admit I will trap a player when the situation is correct. The problem is if you trap you maybe the one trapped. If you are terting to trap you need to know the player your against. You also need to be able to fold on the river if things go bady.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I trap the players who seem willing to bet at things a lot, but only with my best hands that are unlikely to be beaten except for rare circumstances. Trapping with weaker holdings could be dangerous. I consider it strategy, not a silly move. As with everything in poker, if you do something too much, observant opponents will catch on eventually. So, mix up your play.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I would never limp with kings. And if you were short on chips, there is no point in limping imo (all depends on how short you were, of course). Maybe a min-raise if you want to be sneaky, or just calling someone who has already raised instead of re-raising. But I would do this rarely; most of the time, I'm re-raising, even to the point of all-in if I have to. The only hand that beats me is AA, and if that is what the villain holds, I'm losing money. That's poker. If the flop makes my opponent's hand, so be it. Over the long run, KK is going to win against any holding most of the time, except for AA that is.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is the right thing to do if you have a monster hand and the other player needs to get a good card to catch up enough to call a bet on the next street. If there is already a flush or straight draw then it is probably a good idea to just bet,

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree it's a risky move, I was in it too and saw this move.

I think it can be a good move if the player has a lot of chips and I had an aggressive player on the left with few chips.

for example:

Stack: 30BB - UTG+1: raise 2x
Stack: 65BB - you on BTN with AA: call

Stack: 15BB - BB position: all in

UTG+1 can go all-in over the top, AKs, AQs, pair 10, JJ, QQ, KK, thinking he's fine since you only called his bet, in which case it's a great trap.

Last edited:
C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends of the situation. I usually only like to slow play when I already made a very strong hand after the flop/turn.

Gritz18

Gritz18

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Personally, I would never limp with kings. And if you were short on chips, there is no point in limping imo (all depends on how short you were, of course). Maybe a min-raise if you want to be sneaky, or just calling someone who has already raised instead of re-raising. But I would do this rarely; most of the time, I'm re-raising, even to the point of all-in if I have to. The only hand that beats me is AA, and if that is what the villain holds, I'm losing money. That's poker. If the flop makes my opponent's hand, so be it. Over the long run, KK is going to win against any holding most of the time, except for AA that is.
But it was as I explained above, when I decided to limp in with KK, it was because the villain was very aggressive, he was opening all hands and many hands 3betting the raiser, and precisely in this hand I limped in because I knew he was going to raise, and managed to double my chips on top of him.
But reinforcing, it's not a move I usually make, because it's risky especially with many players in the hand.(y)

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that everything in poker is strategy.

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use it when I see that the player has a read on me.. like vilain is folding to any bet I make or call anything.. in that way I try the trap move.. not sure how many times it worked or not though

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you need a REALLY good reason to trap. Having a monster hand is NOT the reason.

T

Tato Ivan

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The risk is yours, play with the trap or not, the main thing is to pick up more chips.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Trapping is certainly a less risky move if you have a good read on the opponent you wish to trap, but obviously any time you give free card(s) without holding the absolute nuts you are increasing your risk.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The limp strategy with a monster from the position of the catoff or later has its potential and pluses, but now those who limp from early positions will most often fall into their trap themselves, and not to mention the lack of blinds and -ev in that case. If you set a trap, do it wisely and mathematically correctly.

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that all strategies may be good, as long as u know how/when/why to apply them.
Limping with ACES is a very bad trap, because u can be in a very bad situation when the flop is super connected, and your opponnents may have anything, and even u may be playing multiway pots.
When u hit a fullhouse in the flop, and there are some drawing dead combos, is a good idea to wait for other player to hit anything, so u can maximize your profit.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have done it, sometimes it has worked out well for me but others not, lately it has gone very badly for me because I let the other person make their move and I am eliminated from the tournament, but it is also difficult when there are players who pay with everything no matter how you play and the same thing happens, sometimes I do it depending on how that person plays, but there are never guarantees

Gritz18

Gritz18

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have done it, sometimes it has worked out well for me but others not, lately it has gone very badly for me because I let the other person make their move and I am eliminated from the tournament, but it is also difficult when there are players who pay with everything no matter how you play and the same thing happens, sometimes I do it depending on how that person plays, but there are never guarantees
I don't usually give advice, because I'm not better than anyone, but reading your answer, I decided to take a look at my hand histories and saw that I've played against you so far 146 hands on pokerstars alone and your VPIP= 24.1% and the PFR= 8.3%, it's still a small sample, the good thing is if you had at least 500 hands.
But what I mean by all this, are you either limping in a lot, or you're just calling a lot of hands to try to hit. This percentage of VPIP and PFR should be more balanced.
Try tweaking your range a little more, this will improve your game in the long run.
As I said above, I'm not better than anyone, it's just my opinion, feel free to accept it or not.:)(y)

apLike

apLike

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Having 36bb is a good move. When you have a medium stack or more, you can play more calmly and try to make the most out of every hand you are dealt the nuts. That's why the limp was done here.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think if you bring some variance in the game on the long run it would be more profitable. For me it includes to variance the plays of the same hand. Sometimes i only limp aces or kings to keep my strength secret. It is sometimes dangerous for sure, but if you would get significant value out of some hands you must be invisible.

katifanko

katifanko

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I only do it when I'm confident I can pull it off in a given situation. I would never limp with strong cards on pre-flop as I want to put villains on my range. I don't want people with weak pre-flop hand to luck out on the flop. Then I'd see based on the situation. If there are any draws that I can't catch but someone else could, I would protect my strong hand right away by playing aggressively and getting the others to fold early or limp. If the flop is dry and not much action from villains, I can play around with my "trapping skills" lol

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I mix it up, sometimes i limp and other times i play aggressive. It's the best way! It makes you unpredictable and not showing the hands is also highly advised if you are on an App or playing live.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes, I use this move, when it is obvious that the opponent will fold, after betting. For example holding KK and the flop is 7K7, and the opponent has A7.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The trap is a very good action against both very passive limpers and very aggressive players!!! I have seen pro players limp AA or KK many times from both early and late position and it works really well!!! But you really have to be ready to fold that hand if something goes wrong!!!