Tournaments or sit & gos

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play MTTs but I do like SnG sattys of the 2x shootout variety.

J

jaso_orni

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play both tournaments, when y win some chips in a tournament usually spend it in sit and go

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone summarize the key differences between SNGs and MTTs?

The key difference between SnGs & MTTs is the number of players in the game. SnGs have a fixed-starting number of entrants, while in MTTs you're not sure of the number of entrants. This might not look like much of a deal, but the mathematics just changes drastically.

Let me explain, when you know the exact number of entrants (you also know the total chips in play = number of entrants * starting stack), and the prize distribution. The game becomes much more controllable. You can put some work on the game and you might come up with a mathematically sound strategy.
While in MTTs, these variables keep changing with each game and since there isn't a way to figure out exactly the value of these variables, we use something called approximation. We try to approximate each variables and device a strategy around those approximate values. So in this case, we can just come up with an approximation strategy.

Off course, the game is highly dependent on the level playing field (type of players in the game), but something that you can easily adjust to in a SnGs (since you'll play a particular opponent more often), you can keep updating your strategy with more & more information on the level playing field (taking notes, predicting opponent's strategy, ranges, etc) and your strategy keeps getting better. In MTTs, its rarely possible unless both of you are REGULARs in that particular game and that game happens pretty frequently.

I feel a llitle lost playing MTTs at times. Playing 9 handed on the bubble is a little uncomfortable and I'm not even sure when we are on the bubble with over 100 tables in action.

Any advice?

Keep a track of it. Once the registration period is over, check the lobby to know the payouts and keep your "INFO" display ON.

I particularly like to play both and some satellites when I have a comfortable bench.

If I'm forced to choose only one between the two, I will go with SnGs, for the reasons I stated above.

Last edited:
Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
My favorite are tournaments but the variance is a bankroll killer so I would rather Sit&GO because you might have profit monthly but the adrenaline of winning a life changing prize on a MTT is by far more exciting xD

Good Luck on the tables!!

A

AndreyS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer the format of the non-turbo BIG tournaments, because they have more prize-winning excellent ratio to the total number of participants - it's better that you can find for beginners

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've only played MTT and I really enjoy them but you have to have the time to invest. You don't want to get near the money and find you have to rush out for an appointment. I might try a Sit and Go. I guess it is a lot quicker.

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The tournaments are still better, because it can make more money, it's thesis, but we are also moving forward faster.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Round-the-clock action of tournaments.Quick start, due to the constant operation of the tournament.Quite an operational game, which takes less time than a regular multi-table tournament.It is more likely to win a cash prize, given the winning and the third-ranked opponent.The ability to get an impressive poker experience, given the significant raise of the blinds, throughout the entire gambling process.Thanks to a minimal bankroll - often from $ 1.2, almost every novice can participate in the game.

A

Auron

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Once again i think it depends on the level of play around you. If you are on the low side of buy-ins you will often see much more erratic play in tournaments as people seem to take a gambling approach (small buy-in and if i get lucky i am in a good position for a bit payout) and get bored or tired and play unpredictably. However in STG with few players (90 is my favorite but 45 or 180 is similar) people feel closer to the money and play more carefully which makes it easier to read them. I do love tournaments much more due to structure but due to reasons stated above i've taken a turn to STG until i can get into bigger tourneys. Finally, i find you can get in more expensive STG as you have a better chance to get paid which also helps minimize the amount of gamblers/erratic players you face.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellites

Satellites are a great way to get into some bigger buyin tournaments without putting your bank roll at risk.

I am definitely of this mindset right now. Trying to play steady in some freerolls for enough cash to play a satellite and hopefully get a seat into a nice tournaments. I definitely feel like this is my best shot to get back into playing poker without spending any of my income on it.

T

tysfm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll play in game games, sngs and mtts simultaneously, depending on how tough the competition is. If it's hard in the mtt or sng, i'll dip out on the cash game if it's making my play suffer or i'm losing.

W

Wellingtonaakkk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNGs are one of the very important options for which you want to increase your bankroll in the medium term.
Many err on wanting to play in addition to their bank allow, so I come here to pass on a tip: first, with a game of 9 players from 0.50 to 1.50. Second: When your confidence has risen, play MTTs of 1.50.
Anyway, when your bank has had better, come back to share with me and thank me.

Particularly, I'd rather play mtt than qe sng.
I dedicate a couple of hours at least to play tight, after that I start playing loose (with + - 10k).
Winning 3 to 4 all in, already put myself in finalist position and continue with aggression, mainly in bubble.
If any player pays all in, make sure your real odds of having a good hand go.
Stick to the tip, keep calm and be bold.

Last edited by a moderator:
SydTheCat

SydTheCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoy both, but sit n go's are best for bankroll

F

Forbesy604

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer sit and go's just because theyre are shorter, but a longer tournament once in a while can be really fun in my opinion!

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
SNG and better because a table fixes players in limits there for players that so beginning and better to play and to know the games of poker!

melodyman169

melodyman169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer sit and go, it takes less time than tournaments.
But if I have more time, I can play some tourneys (especially on weekends)

subaru16162

subaru16162

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoy both... but I succeed in SnG's never in MTT. MTT I get so far, then get in a sticky situation end up all in with 80% equity to win and lose. Every. Damn. Time. Sunday storm last night my pair of K's got rivered by pocket nines to hit a straight. This is all on jokerstars. I have a love hate relationship for that site.

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a mtt player but now I want to be a profitable stt player. I love mtt's I just want a little more flexibility on time

A

Aparajit

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer tournaments than sit and gos, unless I want to play and win some cash fast like in 45 mins or soo then I play sitngos But usually get knocked out because of my hurry to do so...

I like tournaments because, playing just a couple of strong hands in over 1 hour time and then sitting out will literally guarantee you minimum cash as other players will get knocked out...

So just doubling up and little more and sitting out literally gaurantee u money. Where as in a sit n go, u gotta be more alert as its single table etc.

F

fernandoprrt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments, but for now I am playing mostly sit n go.

Trick1988

Trick1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play both in games and in tournaments at the same time and for me it's normal, or I run two tournaments, and there are players who play only tournaments and they do not like the cash games, but I like everything connected with tournaments or cash games, the main thing is that the bankroll was you had a desire to play