TOURNAMENT MISTAKES.

J

JVal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing wrong with being upset when making mistakes

but if you feel like it's affecting your play then you should definitely consider taking a break to cool down

otherwise just try to move on, understand that none of us are perfect and mistakes will happen just as surely as your aces will get cracked now and then. important thing is to try to learn from it so it doesn't happen again

dwelling on it serves no purpose other than to distract you from your game and give an advantage to your opponents. do you really want that? think of it that way

good luck

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys. Looking for some help with this problem of mine. Playing lots of tournaments these days and if I make a mistake and lose and big pot it's taking me to long to get over it emotionally. It's definitely a form of tilt and it doesn't happen if I lose a flip or get KK against AA it's just when I make mistakes. I keep going over it in my head and then I don't concentrate on the table. Do any of you have a tip on how to get over it fast? Thanks for any help.

I have some advise. My advise is that you should never forget this mistake!!! You need to realize that you found a leak in your game. Fixing this leak is important and by fixing it means knowing how to avoid it. You get me? By thinking about it over and over again is not the right way to fix it. You must recognize it and confirm it. By doing this, you will understand the signs and understand the past experiences. One of the best gifts in poker is understanding your mistakes. Embrace your mistakes so you may recognize it later. ;)

negreti

negreti

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like watching a movie when I see that I am so easily forget

FromHereOn

FromHereOn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play my best poker with no emotional attachment to hands out of my control when my diet is clean. I know it sounds weird, but the more I simplified what I eat (no sugars, no processed food), the better I can deal with most things in life including keeping my head in hands. Exercise might be helpful too.

laceypearls

laceypearls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've made mistake because I make quick decision I accidentally went all in with 23 os I was not happy I was rushing not paying attention but I was lucky and flopped a straight SMH now I let the clock run down longer so that don't happen again.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Behind every success is a mountain of mistakes. You have to have failures to learn from.

X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's possible that this doesn't work for everyone, but it helped me, to play more tables. Because if I lose on a few tables, because of lost coinflips, I still have other tables, where I can make a deep run. But like I said, this is not working for everyone.

Deep Bhavsar

Deep Bhavsar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tournament poker you don't win hands easily and bad beats are about to happen, you have to keep calm always, always have fun while playing or there is no meaning of playing, have fun :)

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't take to heart ol the BB and your mistakes which happen all the time. Take it with a touch of irony.

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you know you made some mistakes and you learn from them...think it is a good lesson for you.......you should learn from you mistakes even pro players make mistakes..

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to be upset at the loss.There are days when the card itself is in hand and I use it and try to win. But if the map is not coming...at least super professional-anyway the game is not out. But that's just my opinion

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The past is past!... Let it go, learn but dont dwell. You dont need to keep replaying your mistakes especially if you already know where you went wrong. Always learn from your mistakes but never dwell on the past. You have to let it go and get better at doing so, just tell yourself " well i wont make that mistake again" and then dont! Then move on to the next hand and focus all your energy and focus on the hands you are playing, if you are dwelling on the past hands you arent playing the ones you are currently in as effective as you should be. Let the past be past and move on. Good luck in future tournaments! :)

T

Tredine

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Solid advice from many in here. From trying to listen to music or going for a quick cool down walk or just trying to have fun.
I also like the advice about learning from your mistakes and understanding these are opportunities to improve and learn, which is a great thing in itself.

One common theme I've heard from many high-volume MTT players is you need to adjust your mentality when it comes to playing hands and poker in general. We shouldn't feel "entitled" to pots. We don't "deserve" to win them. Sure we had Aces vs Kings and took a tough beat when the King came on the river, but we are going to lose in that situation 20% of the time. We are actually a little bit lucky to win in that situation. I know this is an oversimplification regarding a variety of philosophies and might sound like it disregards important things like situational awareness, figuring out implied odds or putting villains on ranges. Those are all very important things. But I think once we feel like we DESERVE to win or are ENTITLED to win, we essentially set ourselves up for emotional failure when it doesn't happen. And let's be honest, binking an MTT is a rather rare occurrence.

But I digress. Basically, we're a bit lucky because our opponent got Kings when we had Aces, we got all the opponents/our money in ahead, and we managed to survive 5 cards. So a big part is your mentality.

Jason Summerville talks about the importance of not feeling entitled when you play poker. We sit at a computer and are dealt cards in a random order. There's nothing we did to "deserve" Aces or top set or the nut flush. With that being said, all we can do is put ourselves in favorable spots, make sound, logical choices when we play, and hope that our hand holds up.

Just try and approach the game from a different perspective and see how that works. Definitely utilize the advice given in this thread from all the other CC members too and it should help improve the way you handle those bad beats and downswings. We all face them and have to overcome.

Good luck to you sir.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just live some time without poker, have a rest or go for a walk in the park

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do any of you have a tip on how to get over it fast.

I think this is a mistake already. Don't think you can learn things fast. In life, good things take time. You can do some study for now and learn, but experience will make you truly understand what you have learned. When you understand, making good decisions will become more natural.

Good luck.

juanchoak

juanchoak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The less mistakes one makes the more profitable they shall be. I have 3 years playing online poker under the belt and I have a good strategy on MTT and STT that serves my ITM% and ROI%'s very well. A strategy that most of the time dictates my actions ahead of time, so very ABC. When my action equals a loss by mistake (rare), I will review to see if I could have done it differently and will compare to a similar hand where I was right. I know playing robotic ABC is not for everyone but when I am beat by shear luck like runner runner or suck outs I very rarely let it get me down. If its bad luck beating you, your playing properly and this will begin to balance out as your skills improve.

Thank you man excellent appreciation.

juanchoak

juanchoak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to overcome instantly from tilt, if you have chips left you need to center on starting to build your stack again, if you get busted you have to make some hand analysis. Playing poker with emotion is a bomb, you have to be an iceberg.

laceypearls

laceypearls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
US players can't play poker stars or full tilt poker. I was thinking of depositing at True Poker. Has anyone had any experience withdrawing through them. The only thing I don't like about that site is that I have to dep through visa. Ugh sucks.

J

Ja_Ray_Rob

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when I do this I use an Native Indian forgetting trick.... SMOKE A BIG FATTY!

A big fatty peace pipe smoking? I am down, would definitely keep me from tilting! =X haha.:D

B

bobbyboy43

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I tournament poker you don't win hands easily and bad beats are about to happen, you have to keep calm always, always have fun while playing or there is no meaning of playing, have fun :)

HE IS RIGHT, HAVE FUN. I AM RESIGNED TO THE FACT THAT ALL THE poker sites ARE FIXED AND UNLESS YOU GET LUCKY, YOU WILL LOSE. SERIOUSLY THOUGH, YOU HAVE TO BE PATIENT, AND SOMETIMES WE WANT TO WIN EVERY HAND, GET INVOLVED WITH EVERY HAND AND SIMPLY LAW OF AVERAGES MEANS YOU LOSE. ALSO THE HARDEST THING TO DO IS FOLD A GREAT HAND, PARTICULARLY TO THE ALL-IN DONKEYS, LOL.

duckeyflop17

duckeyflop17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do be successful at poker, You have to be very mentally strong. Do not be afraid to stand up from the table and take a water/smoke/walk break to clear your head. Every one makes mistakes. What separates the men from the boys, Is the ability to mentally over come these mistakes and continue on in the game. Do not forget about your mistakes, Learn from them instead.

AvaPoker13

AvaPoker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well this is not wrong, but as not always the best hand wins you have to rely on the 10% luck.