Which tactic is best on freerolls tournaments?

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. I watched video on ytube, about playstyles in freerolls, and they sad, then best is play only AA, KK, QQ, AK. Other hands shoud be permanently fold. Is that realy works, or maybe sometimes have a reason be agressive and use bluff?
Sorry for my english, i was worse in school.

do not be afraid to place large bets and overbets (Overbet is a bet that significantly exceeds the size of the current pot) - in freerolls such bets in the eyes of most opponents do not differ from the usual bets; Don't be like weak players - don't play trashy pocket cards, otherwise you will spend a lot of chips just looking at the flop and making sure you don't hit it. Inexperienced players, therefore, imperceptibly melt the stack and, having received a strong hand, they cannot win much if they want to;

do not try to bluff - in freerolls no one folds with any combination, so instead of bluffs, expect a strong hand and get opponents chips. As you can see, the strategy is simple: if there is a strong hand, we bet a lot, if there is no strong hand, fold and wait further!

pablow

pablow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't bluff until you have more chips than the average. if your stash melts, then all-in at the first passable hand.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tighten your range preflop. Become aggressive only if you flop top pair with top kicker or higher. Be aware of drawing boards. Bluffs and even C-bets are needless in freerolls(semi-bluffs are ok). Try to cheaply enter multi-way pots with suited connectors.

Last edited:
J

johnadams1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight/ultra aggresive. No fooling around with low pairs or suited connectors in early phase only later after double up.

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the style and value of the freeroll for me, if it has a good prize but has loads of entries I'm probably going to be a bit of a shove monkey, and if I get somewhere I have a chance if not then getting a decent prize here n there is okay too, I've been in many 888 freerolls for example and never won 1, just to many entries, you can probably spend a lifetime trying to win 1 of them, its a lotto, but you can deffo cash them consistently if your good, highest finish was like 9th out of 8k+ players and I got like $10 or something can't remember the exact amount tbh but have gotten up there a few times with $2 here n there as well as min cashes add up.

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having the best hand at showdown is usually the right strategy that works in every tournament. It s harder from time to time though :D

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In freerolls, as the name suggests, the level of free tournaments is not too high and it is enough to play according to the basic scheme. You shouldn't bluff and try to build yourself up with a good hand since the beginning of the tournament.

dom97

dom97

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove all in until you gain a big stack and then play conservativly until the final table. If that fails, try again the next tournament. Does anyone else use this strategy to build up a stack?

C

chinito2410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best tactic for a freeroll is to try to stack at the beginning, therefore go with A + tjqk or some pair, because being able to have a stack, later you see which one to enter and which one not, you can even run players with less stack than you, since if they tie you in pot chips they are out of the tournament.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. I watched video on ytube, about playstyles in freerolls, and they sad, then best is play only AA, KK, QQ, AK. Other hands shoud be permanently fold. Is that realy works, or maybe sometimes have a reason be agressive and use bluff?

Play tight, but only AK+ - no that is not a good strategy.
If your at a table (often early in freerolls) there is at least one player going all in on every hand. Yes only call with the hands you mentioned above, maybe TT+ but folding a good playable hand 15-20% range in LP or the blinds with a standard open and a call is not good poker. These hands should be played. These are the hands that will increase your chip stack if you hit, and increase you competency at playing poker.

If you only play the hands you mentioned above - you will quickly find yourself short stacked and shoving and crap rag ace, any crap pocket pair, or any 2 broadway cards, and your at best flipping vs one opponent. Don't be a nit. :) play poker.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just let every one knock out each other most of the time first hour.

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best tactiv=cs in freerolls

I find the best freerolls is to wait for a decent hand a call that idiot that goes all in every time and hopefully your hand holds up.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find the best freerolls is to wait for a decent hand a call that idiot that goes all in every time and hopefully your hand holds up.

A more reactive approach. It can still be a high variance play of course, but if it's what you're comfortable with, there's nothing wrong with that.

The best tactic for a freeroll is to try to stack at the beginning, therefore go with A + tjqk or some pair, because being able to have a stack, later you see which one to enter and which one not, you can even run players with less stack than you, since if they tie you in pot chips they are out of the tournament.

Yes, accumulating chips aggressively can be very profitable, as it allows you to apply pressure against opponents earlier than most, and is a good way to pick up dead money. Conversely, you're also busting out early your fair share of the time.

So in other words, you're 1/125 or out in like 110th place.

Shove all in until you gain a big stack and then play conservativly until the final table. If that fails, try again the next tournament. Does anyone else use this strategy to build up a stack?

I see it a fair bit, and like the commenter above, you're 1/135 or out in 134th place, no in between for you. Definitely, it's a high variance play, but if that's the game you're most comfortable with, then you're probably making decisions that are putting you in a good position more frequently than not.

Myself, I get a sense of how the table's going to play and adjust my strategy accordingly.

dom97

dom97

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A more reactive approach. It can still be a high variance play of course, but if it's what you're comfortable with, there's nothing wrong with that.

Yes, accumulating chips aggressively can be very profitable, as it allows you to apply pressure against opponents earlier than most, and is a good way to pick up dead money. Conversely, you're also busting out early your fair share of the time.

So in other words, you're 1/125 or out in like 110th place.

I see it a fair bit, and like the commenter above, you're 1/135 or out in 134th place, no in between for you. Definitely, it's a high variance play, but if that's the game you're most comfortable with, then you're probably making decisions that are putting you in a good position more frequently than not.

Myself, I get a sense of how the table's going to play and adjust my strategy accordingly.

I guess my sleep pattern also has to do with it. Playing an ACR freeroll at 1AM UK time, I may be tired and either want a big stack or sleep.

G

gazdagleszek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

The most important, that have to be patient. especially when so many people play but also many people can win. Because sometimes you only need to eliminate one player then keep the stack sometimes raise a bit and then you win. When only some player can win you also have to be lucky and check kepp eye on your feelings. Many times I do not hear it then get out of the tour soon.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There just isn't that one tactic that will make you win.

If you only play 5 hands then you will be blinded out and you still
can be beaten by a donk with 9 3 off...

It really depends on the players on your table.
Good poker is more about adjusting your game than to follow one tactic.
You must exploit weaknesses of others and make use of profitable situations.

If the pot odds are great because 5 people in front of you limped then you
have to play weaker starting hands because it is profitable in that situation.

pot odds are an essential concept that you should learn, to be able to win
when you are not having an excellent hand. Only relying on getting the
top 5 starting hands more often than others is simply hoping that you are
more lucky than your opponents. If you are, you can as well play crap and win!

You should rely on your skills instead. Because in contrast to luck, you can influence
how skilled you are.

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Don't go "ALL IN "

Don't go "ALL IN". Always keep in mind the rule of watching our stack of chips and gambling wisely without getting unbanked.:):)

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a certain Mr. Helmuth knows a bit about nlhe tournaments. he tries to avoid going all in, except when holding the nuts. Having the nuts after the river, rather than any previous streets where you can be outdrawn later, is the best situation of course.

think about this...if you never go all in for the whole tournament, you will win it....easier said than done.

avoid going all in against bigger stacks if you can. if you have say, 50bbs, and your oppo has 10bbs...you can pressure them with an all in move without damaging your stack tooooo much...but if your oppo has 45 bbs...well...losing a flip would cripple your stack.

don't overplay small pocket pairs and suited connectors...especially in early position.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

There is no magic wand for MTTs. You cannot play one particular Tactic to win a Tourney, it takes patience and a lot of changing gears, playing differently on each hand depending on it's own merits and values.
I think when you do get strong hands like the AA, KK, QQ, then you should play them aggressively, being prepared to call an all-in from another player and then calling and cross your fingers because then it is in the lap of the gods.
Sure you can in certain situations fold your way into the money when close to the bubble, but if you have a decent stack you should put pressure on the shorter stacks hoping to steal blinds and ladder up yourself.
I would certainly recommend Colin Moshmans course here in Cardschat to improve your game, and read a couple of books on MTT playing styles, Some of the better books have chapters on all different types of poker games and break Hold-em down into cash games, single table games, MTTs and so on, each with their own chapters.
Good Luck.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play many hands but low pots. Once you will make great hand and bet vs this fishs. Do not afraid lose all chips. In freerols make sense only final tables.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tight aggressive. I have learned to play what the situations need. I will say, I see odd hands being played more than they should, so this can cause more headaches than it should. Just play your hand and decide what is best for your play. Just do not consider freeplay as a gauge for the rest of the tournaments you will play.

One example is that on NLOP, which is freeroll heaven, there is a player that will overbet heavily preflop with random cards, but usually with at least one face card. When the flop hits, they always make a massive bet like they hit. If they get anything, they go all in. This person basically becomes an ATM for many of us who understand how to play with some sense. Just learn play styles, because no matter how random a person acts, they are in some category.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Playing tight and in position does work.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tight aggressive, unless with the nuts or a good read on opponent dont shove, and most importantly position awareness. low vpip and prf.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Personally, I think bluffing is essential.
As is varying your range according to position.
If you stick to hard and fast rules, you will find that people notice your rules and just avoid you.
For instance, if I notice a player only playing premium hands, I label them a NIT.
Nits are easy to steal blinds from. They are easy to bluff.

Position and range are more important than "the cards".
In the long run, you will have roughly the same cards as everyone else. Being ahead is about playing a winning strategy.

That said, I recognise that I have been known to play a bit too wide and get spanked frequently. So what do I do? I change it up.

I know that the saying is "tight is right"...but if everyone is playing tighter than a drum, the winning strategy is to open up.

If everyone is playing fast and loose, the winning strategy is to tighten up.

But most importantly, you need to find YOUR edge. That may be in extracting max value out of infrequent strong hands, but it also might include stealing blinds...or even more useful -- targeting specific players for which you've identified a weakness which you may exploit.

But playing like a Robot, rather than an AI is a dangerous road to go down which will be littered with losses and being blinded out.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Freeroll Passwords