Strategy adjust for online games with very heavy blind and short stack

C

_CoA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys!

I've started playing some online poker in China. Here the tables are structured like this: forced straddle and ante the size of SB. Typically people buy-in for 150BB, but if we consider the forced straddle a form of blind, it's really 75straddle, kind of short stack. If we factor in the antes, the stacks are even shorter. For example, the table I played is 2/4/8 RMB, ante 2 RMB. people typically buy-in for between 600RMB and 1200RMB, and about 2~3 people with the stack size of 400RMB at any given moment.

People fold to C-bet a lot. So when I started, my initial reaction is: I must try to steal a lot of blinds and because everyone's stack is so shallow, the reverse implied odds are much less important, the value of high cards, such as K8o, goes up exponentially. I basically played with any face card in late position. Played 40% of my hands and preflop raise about 25%.

I didn't fare too well. Lost 3 buy-ins. Once I lost two pairs to a flush draw. The other time I hit an ace on flush flop and called two barrels, which is unfortunately already the entire stack because every pot is massive.

What's the correct range given the blind and ante? Should I c-bet 100%? Is floating ever a successful strategy? TBH, when I c-bet and the opponent called, I just felt he was floating me, but perhaps not? Should I simply barrel once and if he'd like to float, let it be? Many thanks in advance!

V

V8000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey man, playing 40% of your hands is pretty loose, but that could be ok as a counter strategy if your oponents are too tight. Couple of questions, are you talking about Cash games? MTT? And how loose/tight are your oponents?

C

_CoA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey man, playing 40% of your hands is pretty loose, but that could be ok as a counter strategy if your oponents are too tight. Couple of questions, are you talking about Cash games? MTT? And how loose/tight are your oponents?

We are playing cash game. People are playing mostly tight aggressive

V

V8000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well one idea

We are playing cash game. People are playing mostly tight aggressive

One idea I could recommend you is to get value making them fold, you can try play loose with marginal hands and bet in all streets, a tight player´ll fold most of the time and when they rise you simply fold.

Cheers.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You are correct that TPTK and over-pairs go up in value when stacks are shorter. So play them harder. That doesn't mean always play for stacks if multi-way pots on any board.

If by a flush board you mean three of the same suit you have to be careful. It is hard to call (or bet for value) on this type of board if you don't have the flush yourself (maybe on street hu). Also take it easy with TP with a bad kicker if the pot is multi-way. So K8o on the BU first in is OK but it is borderline so if you meet resistance it is player dependent.

Top 10 Games