Stalling as a strategy?

E

Ernster86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well since online poker Is rigged, I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss this strategy. If online poker was a unrigged game, sure may the best player win, but its not and as far as i can see, do what you gotta do to win.

It works plain and simple and I dont see why it should bother the chip leaders..it helps everyone on the table climb the tournament ladder.

hipshot55

hipshot55

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well since online poker Is rigged, I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss this strategy. If online poker was a unrigged game, sure may the best player win, but its not and as far as i can see, do what you gotta do to win.

It works plain and simple and I dont see why it should bother the chip leaders..it helps everyone on the table climb the tournament ladder.

So when you're stalling you're .................doing what with the rigging? :confused: Preventing it? Helping it? Making it go away? Stalling the inevitable outcome?

Your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

E

Ernster86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL come to think of it, my post didnt make much sense did it:D

I just meant since its rigged (meaning the cards are not random), I don't think it matters that people "cheat" some more by stalling as the game is already rigged anyway...not that stalling is considered cheating...and I don't condone cheating...nevermind

not a good point I admit...I'll just go back into my cave LOL.:(

So when you're stalling you're .................doing what with the rigging? :confused: Preventing it? Helping it? Making it go away? Stalling the inevitable outcome?

Your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

T

thefatman313

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a Good Thread...I would not have believed people felt so strongly about stalling!

Stalling is part of the game and if you do not use it to your advantage then you are not using all your tools...

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I just meant since its rigged (meaning the cards are not random), I don't think it matters that people "cheat" some more by stalling as the game is already rigged anyway...not that stalling is considered cheating...and I don't condone cheating...nevermind

For the sake of this post, we can assume that rigging exists. Anyway, are you saying that even though rigging benefits no single player, it's okay to take an unfair advantage, JUST because it's not pure poker?

E

Ernster86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it depends what you consider an unfair advantage. Is stalling an unfair advantage? No I dont think so...its not against the rules as far as I know and anyone can choose to do it if they wish.

As I said I don't condone cheating in any way .

A lot of people stall so why not do it too and its not against the rules and yes since it online poker is rigged to a point, I dont think people should get their knickers in a knot about "not playing pure" by stalling, because there's not much pure about online poker anyway lol:)

N

nateogreato

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shocking that you would even question stalling as unacceptable. It works, it's logical and it has brought me to many final tables - especially in 5000 player games. Why post blinds when you don't have to. If any site told me I couldn't stall I'd stop playing there. The more a player stalls the more time you have to make the right decition or focus on multitabling.

Poker is about winning money. This is a truely embarrasing discussion.

bosoxboy29

bosoxboy29

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not stalling or sitting out!

i personally dont think sitting out is any good.for the simple reason everybody else is constantly winning more & more chips while you are not.you dont have to sit out you only have to be SMART CAREFUL & TIGHT!!! and you should be fine. i am not stalling or sitting out of any hand if i have a nice stack!!

H

highway26776

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have stalled once and only momentarily. Tournament was one off the money I looked to another table and saw 2 players all in along with the big stack so i took a minute or so before calling ..... forgive methis was unethical :)

T

tjyff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I do it all the time cus im the best. Just kidding. The only time I've ever done this is if we are close to the money and a friend of mine is shortstacked. That way, hopefully hand for hand starts before the blind kills him.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, but i want to pee, and let the dog out. I dont care about your agenda. If we are in a MTT together, I will stall as much as I bloody well like. Call it ethics, morals or whatever. I have reasons for when and where my dog pees, and it is none of your concern. When you vent steam about it all, my dog laughs.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok stalling.....sucks

but yes it can help to get you in the money.

With that being said I have seen it done near the bubble when the tables are in hands by hand mode (ie waiting for the other table to finish before dealing the next hand). That is just dumb...no reason OTHER THAN to piss the other people of and tilt them maybe?

Short Stacks stalling has become part of the game.
Is it illegal - NO!
You have the right to use your time as you want.
Is it anything else (immoral, unsportsmanlike etc) - depends where you are sitting
Just remember, we are playing for MONEY and people do do ILLEGAL things to make money. Would you rather play against a player that is stalling or someone who has illegally hacked the system and can see your cards ?

Big Stacks stalling? other than to raise the blinds I dont see a reason why they would.

Anyway my 2c worth

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stalling is the worst moraleless unethical thing one could ever do... scuse me my dog has to peee (I could be making this up to buy time) so will pee u later

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I ever find myself playing against some of y'all, I now know that the best way to piss you off and get you off your game a little is to stall as much as possible, regardless of my stacks!

BTW, it's a huge reach to try and make "life-lesson" analogies out of a single SNG or poker tourney. Is stalling annoying?-hell yes, but it hardly makes someone a "coward."

B

bocheech21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im brand new to online poker. The only way I could make money was in freerolls and when i got close to the bubble i always thought i should run the clock out so other people get knocked out. I did this once when i had the chip lead with 40000. I said to myself THERES NO WAY IN HELL IM NOT GOING TO MAKE THE MINIMUM AMOUNT OF MONEY SO IM NOT GOING TO PLAY ANY HANDS CAUSE EVERYTIME I DO I BUST BEFORE THE BUBBLE. so i didnt play any hands and ran down the clock everytime time and i founf myself with 6,000 left and one more person left before i was in the money.....but the blinds were 8000 and it took my money on the next hand and i got shit cards. so i learned my lesson and said **** that never again i dont care if i lose playing the right way i just dont ever want to lose like that again. I do like the tip about timing out when less then a minute left with the blind and the next player would lose all his money to the higher blind and most likely bust but only do this when its the last one or two people left before the bubble. I wouldnt hate on people for it i would just feel sorry for them because they dont realize how dumb it is. i would nicely try to explain why its not the best strategy...especially if they have a big stack

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes stall if i find it frustrates other players and puts them on tilt,,so they play badly,,,it works:cool: It`s about winning. period. thx for the chips:smile:

miric007

miric007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a good tactic I use this tactic.
I do not understand why anyone bothers (delay) so I'm not playing blitz chess.
Poker is a game for patient and do not mind when someone plays slowly.

M

Marx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.. i don't think the chip leader should be concerned with making "the minimum amount of money" .. play to win ... shoot for the stars ... it might be different if you're short stacked then okay .. generally i don't think stalling would be defined as a strategy .. but i can understand it at the bubble .. gl

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have totally used this tactic online and in the brick and mortar tournaments. I try not to make obvious, I have no problem limping into a cash. I would rather make something then come out with nada.
We saw at the wsop this year that William guy made an art form out of stalling.
All sporting events have stalling. Football, basketball, boxing, soccer, nascar. Baseball is a sport built around stalling. It's tactic that is useable by some people and why not? I can't stand slow players but If I have to use it to squeak out a cash then so be it. It's no less annoying than players that cover up with hats, hoodies and sun glasses.
BTW I wouldn't ever stall if I had the lead. At best I would just sit out.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can see how it probably is very annoying but it seems a lot of people do it and it's not against the rules if its the time given.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Online isn't rigged, how can it be? It's less 'rigged' than live games. Online relies on RNG and it's not predetermined. The cards are shuffled once and what comes next isn't random, that is predetermined on the shuffle. Anyone who thinks online poker is rigged is either A) A bad player or B) experienced high downswings with variance

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In fact I have no strategy I play the game of the opponent I make the strategy

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time I feel stalling is something you can do is on the bubble of a sattelite

Otherwise I hate it when somebody does it.

L

ludomaniaco24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The method of the villain seems to me the best auque sometimes ends badly most of the times the bet in some moments with very good card and the second play any card that comes to my hand without teneer account the position or the number of chips the Try to despair the opponents making them wait my play take the time of the clock to my favor to bet strong before to generate a big pot and that they go all inn against others so when I win a hand of many chips that seems to me is my strategy in The tournament