SNG Equity & ROI: Understanding Key Poker Tournament Concepts (VIDEO)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question on equity in a freeroll!

The answer is that there isn't an effect besides a different way of calculating.

For example, suppose there's a $50 freeroll with 100 entrants. The average player has equity of $0.50. That's true whether it's a freeroll or everyone put up the money to buy in. ICM calculations will be the same too. So it's a nice result!

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wohh very interesting video im more a cash player so i didnt know very well thouse concepts,i have heer about ROI but i didnt kno wath it means, thanks Collin an Katie

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cool video, and most importantly funny. Made out the main thing for yourself, you need to be able to switch speeds depending on the number of players remaining, which is personally a problem for me, as soon as I get a big stack I play without brakes)

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Return on investment or ROI for short is the best way to determine the profitability of SNG tournaments. As I understand it, if you want to get a close to reliable estimate of your ROI, then you must play at least 1000 SNG tournaments.

But even then, if you play in a large number of SNG tournaments, variance will have a significant impact on ROI. However, 1000 SNG tournaments are widely regarded as the number of tournaments that you must play before drawing any conclusions about your ROI.

In order to get a good idea of ​​what your real ROI is, you should strive for a mark of 5,000 SNG tournaments played.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apparently the video is good ,but without understanding the language is meaningless

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sample size for reliable ROI

Return on investment or ROI for short is the best way to determine the profitability of SNG tournaments. As I understand it, if you want to get a close to reliable estimate of your ROI, then you must play at least 1000 SNG tournaments.

But even then, if you play in a large number of SNG tournaments, variance will have a significant impact on ROI. However, 1000 SNG tournaments are widely regarded as the number of tournaments that you must play before drawing any conclusions about your ROI.

In order to get a good idea of ​​what your real ROI is, you should strive for a mark of 5,000 SNG tournaments played.

I enjoyed the video and my only question was about this subject. How many tournaments should you play before you can say the ROI is reliable?

Is it really 1000? 5000? Is it people who earn money from rake saying this?

If am am losing money after 100 SNG, should I not care until I have done another 900, then think about changing my strategy? If I have a hugely profitable ROI after 1000 MTTs, should I wait till I get to 5000 before I up my stakes?

For one thing, I don't believe that your level of play would be the same over 1000 games. Surely you would improve over that time, so that the first set of 500 games would have a lower ROI than the second 500?

Also you must bear in mind past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Last edited:
Naty2585

Naty2585

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excelent video, a lot off new thighs i have learn today

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I looked at my ROI and do not understand what this means and how I should interpret it. Thanks Collin for the explanation. I will learn more about ROI and equity.

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you Collin and Katie for the video! I also liked a lot Katies laugh and jokes. I have a question about ROI and rake. Is the ROI counted with rake and without rakeback? Like you play 10$ SNG where the rake is 39snt is the rake included there and you just count your ROI straight from it and possible rakeback is just bonus?

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, this pretty much sums it up :) I expect a follow up videos, with a tad bit more examples and info for beginners! Keep it up :)

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ROI and ICM are very important concepts, especially for the final table, and you explain it very well. The difference in prizes is very significant, and you need to understand ICM in order to get more profit!

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Know of Colin from Tournament poker edge, great coach! will check it out for sure

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is pretty simple and understandable video about equity and ROI. It will be very helpful for everyone who is playing SnG and MTT tournaments. If you know how to calculate your own ROI percentage it will help you to achieve some goals in poker.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
short and clear. thank you very much for publishing this article.
I hope your lessons will help improve the quality of my game.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A nice little video and I love the way Katie gets the spirits going with her infectious giggling. If only equity could be 100%.

Thanks Team

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is difficult to leave a comment without coinciding with the previous ones. It is a good video, but quite short. However, I am sure this would have enlightened several.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
exelente video very well explained and easy to understand so .continue with great vidios to help us. I get used to play but SGN

CAC1QU3

CAC1QU3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After many years where I'm starting to play Poker again the ROI-concept of SNGs is still the same ;-)

Not a surprise. What I don't found in the forum is an overview of Rake in Micro/Low-Stakes SNG on different sites? Is there somewhere such an overview or is it planned (would be nice :p)? Thanks in advance!

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to admit that for the first time, I play for these poker fields, even though I have been playing for 10 years, but recreationally, with no big money, just for fun, but now I have to pay more attention to ROI, quite often when I have something on my account, I play SnG , thanks for the explanation.:)

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great video, easy to digest information.

Is it wrong when people say equitiy as in pot odds? I don't mind it, but then again, it goes hand in hand with what you said in the video.

ROI is pretty self explanatory, great video.

C

chattydb4567

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice out there

Most of the posts I have read on this thread have been helpful thanks guys

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent introductory video of ROI fundamentals.

It is important to differentiate between playing MTT and playing SnG because the calculations are different when calculating the ROI, And this video takes an interesting approach to equity and provides a good explanation of how the value of chips changes during a tournament.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Do you ever factor in time to ROI? For a lot of the freeroll games how would be determine ROI