Small Pairs

LLIypuk

LLIypuk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have thrown out, we've got in the best case will coinflip.

S

SyCo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
33 is not the best at all.
when many peoples are in, the risk is high that they hit their pair wat is in most cases higher than yours.
wait and check - go out if someone is raising.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally call. If raised from BB call up to 3x. Then it's all about the flop. You can also fold to represent you are a stealer from the button, but in MTT online most player don't pay attention to other players behaviors, just their own stack, style and hand.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally call. If raised from BB call up to 3x. Then it's all about the flop. You can also fold to represent you are a stealer from the button, but in MTT online most player don't pay attention to other players behaviors, just their own stack, style and hand.

That is just completely not true, how can you say MTT players do not pay attention to other players, throughout the game you HAVE to look at your players to discover weak points in there game that you can use to your favour, for instance is Player A calling too often then folding if missed (we can use)
will he let go of draws (we can use)
is he limping and playing passively (we can use)
is he agressive (we can use for post flop play)
is he stealing too often (we can use when we have a restealing size stack)
can he let go of a steal attempt (we can use to know what to resteal with)

Pots shouldn't get to showdown too often with a medium stack, because your not playing your cards, your growing your stack through the players mistakes, by there actions they reveal what they most likely hold

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that 44 is a winning combination. Maybe because I won with this cards several times when I followed all in. But it is very big risk to play with small pairs.

Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that 44 is a winning combination. Maybe because I won with this cards several times when I followed all in. But it is very big risk to play with small pairs.

Dont be so sure. I was losing several time with 44 chasing for straight or three of a kind. Maybe is just my bad luck with 44 :(

B

Brazenly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I LOVE TO SHOVE small pairs when im the dealer,sb or bb or 1,2 seats awa from dealer. Only if no one is all in already,then you should fold. Seeing aflopwith small pairsmight pay out with a set in 1 out of 7 but sometimes puts you in bad spots

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
4 bet or fold. 33 is really hard to play post flop against an aggressive player even with position.

Naitras

Naitras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to reraise and watct that opponent do, need to play strong with 33

D

Dingospo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once folded 22 and guess what, there was 22 on flop. I was so angry I could eat the keyboard. :(

A

amadeusace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't call until you ready to make a 3bet on the flop despite the board (except an Ace is there) in order to play reversed equity. What do I mean?
To hit your set.. you need about 12% but... Villain is going to miss the flop 65% (even if he holds 88-JJ an overcard is likely to come) and this is where you bet. If an Ace is coming on the flop... Just call andif he checks on the turn you throw 3/5 of the pot.. if he double barrels you fold.

So... 2500 pot on the flop.. he is going to bet about 1600 you need to 3bet 3500.. are you willing to do that? If he checks on the turn you just shove.. there is no other option... If you are willing to do that then make a call on the flop... If you want to survive you should be ready to die.

Otherwise just fold... In the long run(let's see 10 hands) you lose 8000 more chips but when you hit nothing guarantees that you get back more chips than a cbet.

media

media

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold for me, but if my stack less than 3-4BB easy push.

Zokac71

Zokac71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of us would go to such cards, but they can be quite strong ... I always follow, i can not wait to develop a new 3 or a full ..... whatever I always go with small cards in their hand

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would call at least the flop. as ive said before in other posts I have won a third of my winning hands on low sets.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Is this from '' Harrington on holdem " books :confused: :confused: :D ?

fold most of the times or shove if you think he bluffs or he plays very loose (now for the shove part I aint sure but I 'm tired of others' bluffs and 3bets:eek: )

T

theresets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
probably fold. You arent hitting a set often enough to justify calling imo

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think i would just fold in that spot. calling isnt the best choice here because you are commiting a big part of your stack on a low pair and going all in is possible however i dont think thats the best choice here considering that villain is tight aggresive and might have a strong hand so folding its the best option here.

B

bkr3026

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just take it easy here, 3's can get you into big trouble but they cn also win big if you trip up. so relax and lets take a peak at that flop

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold. Effective stacks are too shallow. It's early in the tournament. I would consider a 4 bet shove if BB had been overly loose pre-flop.

Generally you need about 8:1 implied odds to set mine
Starting with 6000 effective
1700 in the pot (hero 400 + sb 100 + bb 1200)
800 to call
4800 effective stack remaining on the flop
Assuming hero doubles up with a set+ and loses nothing more otherwise, it is 800 to win 1700 + 4800 or 8.125:1 in the best case

Then there are the times hero hits and doesn't get paid or loses with a set.

Edit:
Quick estimate for set mining is the 20/5-10 rule
hero needs to be able to win 20 times the bet to set mine (about 80bb effective here)
here should generally not risk more then 5% of stack to set mine (maybe up to 10% in special circumstances)

800 to call times 20 hero needs 16k to call

This!

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold in that position. You will commit not a small part of the stack and the chances for dangerous flop are huge.

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold 33 here

I think it's a fold. You are not getting the pot odds to call here. Unless you hit a set, (11to1shot) you aren't going to see too many favorable flops. And this guy is tag, he may c'bet fold to your shove. (which could be used) You need acquire chips and always look for ways to build a big stack. Yes, small edges matter in tournaments, however you aren't going to win too many big pots here with 33. I would continue to raise this guys bb and take chips off him that way.
Also, not sure of his 3bet range / percentage he is doing this. I
if he had done this a couple times, or i had prior knowledge of this player, that could change my thinking here.

I say fold, and move to next hand.

stoke:smile:

strodawg

strodawg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your holding 33 on the btn blinds at 100/200 no antes you have atound 30 BB and the BB 3B your min raise makes it $1200 to go, BB has played a pretty tag style and has about 60 BB, whats your play? Ready Go!

Id fold its to low. Id rather king or ace high. to many over pairs very little outs i feel

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also fold in this situation. If they came in cheap thats one thing but since its 3bb against a TAG player, I fold.

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TAG villian + effective stacks not deep = fold