Small pairs (22-99)

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think of 77-99 different than 22-66. Late when shoving 12 or less BBs you may be called by Ax hands. Often having only the ace as an over card is much different than having a true flip with two over cards when called by AT-AK. This of course happens more often with 77-99 than with 22-66. You are 70% when only against one over card instead of a small 54% favorite (flip) when facing 2 over cards.

When playing deep I still open with all pairs in position whit a chance to take down the blinds. If called I am looking for a set with a deep stack. In a limped pot I will often limp along, again looking for a set.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Question

If you hit your set, but the flop has three cards of the suit, and your opponent is all in.

(The situation - is 3bet pot. Your hand is 99. Flop K97s)

What will be your decision?

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play small pairs very carefully when there is a small bet I play in small pairs or when I have a big stack too, but in small pairs I try not to play all-in because they rarely play well for me!

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are two ways to play these pairs depending on what happens at the table. If you have already entered the boat several limpers before you, I like to match for low cost to find a set. If you have to talk and have folded until the action came to you or if it's your turn to speak first, I like to go up to isolate the options, these cards are good in 1vs1 against big cards like AK, AJ, AQ, K10 etc. in The confrontation has a 50% chance of winning and you can sense if you go ahead when you see the flop.

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing small pairs is rather risky if you do not get a set on the flop! you can also play all-in with these pairs in the middle and late stages of the tournament if you have 10-12 bb

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Usually, I raise preflop, depending on the my position and specific situation.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Not depending on the size of my stack, pairs:

Not depending on the size of my stack, pairs:

88-22 fold in early position
call in middle position
raise in the late position, provided that if you were not raised by anyone, otherwise just call.
just call on the blinds
99-TT fold in early position
raise in middle position
raise in late position
If someone raised to you or after you, I call if the stack size is 20 bigger than the raise size, otherwise I make a fold. I think this is the right decision, because getting into the set on the flop is a very small probability and risking the whole stack or most of it, it's not right.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play for not big bets, but not all. There is always the possibility that the enemy also has a pair, not a small one, it often happened.

Andrei Nesterenko1

Andrei Nesterenko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in knockout tournaments against one player you can go all in with such pairs, it will be completely justified, in other situations I would limp such pairs in the hope of triple

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
small pairs 22-66,med. small 77-88,med 99-JJ,big QQ-KK, super pair AA
that is the statistical breakdown.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have to choose to play for value or bluff, playing for value, you have to call if there is impied odds. Pairs hit the third of a kind about 10%, so you have to get a pot with 10x over your cal.

MorDa

MorDa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a small pair, your task is to get into the set on the flop, preferably when several players participate . The set you will get one time out of 8

D

DUSTIN BRYAN

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on stack sizes around you and your position at the table. often times lower pairs can be folds UTG later in tournaments if you have a bunch of stacks with 20 BB or less behind you that might shove

D

domdiego

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i be a small to BB i push all in 90% for win

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i am in utg i make a raise, if i have less than 12bb and i am in the button for example i go all in.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends how much it costs, but I have become more careful to play small couples, you lose more often than you win

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, sometimes I play, but the truth when it does not threaten my departure, at the initial stage is extremely cautious, but that cool feeling when with a small pair of screaming aces, it's a fiasco bro.

DSUMMER10

DSUMMER10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Match game according to my stack and position on the table. If I am in final position with small stacked all in to press the villain and make the fold in better hands, if it is with large pile, I give standard increase of 3x.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With middle stack early position try to see a cheap flop , late position min raise to possibly take the blinds . The bigger your stack is the more aggressive you can get.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get low pairs preflop I try to decide which other player stacks I am willing to go all in with. Then I look at my position and see if I think I can go all in with the players I want or if Im going to get pushed all in by someone else. Or if I can steal blinds.

LemonAmnezia

LemonAmnezia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is 99 6 handed UTG on the bubble still a clear all in?

S

seawolf84

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
more of small pairs i fold them if my stack is small, if i have normal or big stack , playing with check.

T

tladake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check every small pair on beginning of tournament, when blinds are low, that time I very often beat preflop. I also check my position, if I am one of the last to play my turn it is easier for me to bet with low pair, when I am one of the first after dealer and blinds are high, i rather check it than I bet it. In knockout tournament i feel more justified to bet it at any time.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very stack dependent
deep out of position- limp or call small raise

deep in position- raise small

under 30bbs but not desperate - fold them

short stacked - shove them