Small pairs (22-99)

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All small pairs are good at the early stage only when you watch the flop cheap and get into the set, then you can spin the stack! If a short stack the all-in with them, too, good option! And in the rest of the need to from discharging!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set mining when cheap on the flop is optimum play, playing small pairs after the flop with overcards there is only asking for trouble..
Even the weakest will play paint to the river, flush fishes and Ace rags amongst many other variants will find a way to cook small pairs..
That said..vary that opinion dependent on the stage you are at in the tourney, number of remaining BB, effective stacks including your own and you will find many, better players then myself look to jam any pair late on..the number of times i see a flip in latter stages between AQ/AK v 22/33/44/55:)

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set mining when cheap on the flop is optimum play, playing small pairs after the flop with overcards there is only asking for trouble..
Even the weakest will play paint to the river, flush fishes and Ace rags amongst many other variants will find a way to cook small pairs..
That said..vary that opinion dependent on the stage you are at in the tourney, number of remaining BB, effective stacks including your own and you will find many, better players then myself look to jam any pair late on..the number of times i see a flip in latter stages between AQ/AK v 22/33/44/55:)
Agreed

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in knockouts, often the middle stacks go all in, because large stacks respond fairly well to get a bounty, and of course fold equity from short stacks also expands. But with a short stack this is more dangerous, several people can go into the pot and the chances are lower

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends but if im short stacked i usually go all in,if i have healthy stack i call raise to see if im going to hit set,if i miss it i fold

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i have deep stack then occasionally i will try to make set.In situation when i am pinned down and i have only opponent to draw then i will go all-in with small pair.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
What I have noticed is that a short stack goes all in with low pairs because of desperation, sometimes it works for them, sometimes it does not.

you have to be careful how we play the low pairs, you can not abuse both by playing them all in or aggressively

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Large stack I'm opening them from any position mainly set mining. Depending on villain I might call 2-3 streets depending on run out, bet size and villains cbet frequency/position. I will play for short stacks as long as I'm in position and in control of the action. Not going to call 3bets for the most part without 1010+

When I'm on an average stack I play most PP, folding out 22-88 depending on position and the habits of the people left to act. Still playing for short stacks given the right spot. Not playing for my stack without QQ+

Short stack I'm jamming most pairs in late position and folding 22-88 from early. It's really dependent upon position and who is left to act. I'm not jamming deuces into the chip leader who can afford to call off ATC.

Few blinds left I'm jamming any PP from any position.

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on everyone's stack size.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on your stack , how do you play small pairs - 22-99?
I often see how a short stack plays all-in with small pairs, but the player is often so played with the middle stack, especially in knockout tournaments
Is it justified?

Sorry but I disagree with what you are calling a small pair.
Small piars = 22 through 77 is small
Medium pairs = 88 through JJ
Large pairs = QQ through AA

The way I play them depends on too many variables to explain.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but I disagree with what you are calling a small pair.
Small piars = 22 through 77 is small
Medium pairs = 88 through JJ
Large pairs = QQ through AA

The way I play them depends on too many variables to explain.

I agree with you, 88 - JJ Medium pairs, but I do not think that playing a hand 77 is much different from playing the hands of 88. Without getting into the set, they both are not too good at post-flop. The difference can be when playing push-fold and calling 3-betting

K

klada152

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate going all in with small pairs when I 'm short. Would rather go all in with 98 suited then 55, but if I am super short i have no other choice. Middle pairs are different story if I am short I have no problem going all in. And sometimes 3 beting with them when I have normal stack.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play as if they were big pairs always aggressive.