Should you join a tournament on time, or wait?

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on format. I never late reg for PKO/KO's but for standard tournaments I often late-reg down to 20BB.
i completely agree about PKOs and bounty events . entering late short stacked just makes you a target for all the headhunters !

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi :)
If you're a bingo player, it doesn't matter. If you are a poker player, in my opinion it is better to register before the start of the tournament.
Funny read this from you, the person who don't know 3 bet. AA 100 blinds? Shove. Villain open 2x same efective 50 blinds? Shove. Really Fun read some things

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On time if not early..... talk... find the fish...

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most people have mentioned - depends on format and your playstyle.

Personally for low stakes non KO tourneys i prefer joining late for several reasons - usually you are one double up away from the average stack, the field is much smaller so you are a lot closer to a cashing spot and you also get to exploit mid game fundamental gametheory. If you do get the double up, players have less information on you (goes both ways) so you can put the probability in your favour by understanding tournament structure and mid-game player tendencies and exploit that. You get a solid chip stack with less playing time invested.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the best time to join a Poker tournament? Early, Middle or Late?
To the beginning.
For me, this is always the best option. I very rarely register for a tournament during the late registration even if it is the very early stage.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It depends on the level of player. If you are comfortable post-flop and you have the experience and the advantage against your opponents you can register at the beginning of the tournament.

On the other hand, if you are a beginner or you have difficulties post-flop in this case you can register late and apply the Nash table.

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello!

When deciding when to register for a poker tournament, I consider several factors. If I choose to register early in the tournament, I have the advantage of accumulating chips early on and building a solid stack before the blinds increase. Also, I can take advantage of the early stage to observe my opponents and gain valuable insight into their playing styles. On the other hand, if I choose to register late, I can avoid the most volatile early moments of the tournament and get into the action when the dynamics at the table are more established. I can also assess other players' chip stacks and adapt my strategy accordingly. Ultimately, the best decision depends on the structure of the tournament, my style of play and my comfort level in each situation. The important thing is to have a conscious and strategic approach when making this decision.

GL