Should you join a tournament on time, or wait?

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play from the beginning, but I don't like turbo tournaments, I only play them when necessary. in that case I prefer LR

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to join at the beginning of the tournaments. it have the advantages of low blinds. If I join very late, usually in a couple of hands I'm forced to go all in

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually wait for at least the middle of the tournament, specially when it's a super stack tournament with regular blind levels. When it's KO tournaments, I like to join since the beginning.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You need to register from the very beginning of the tournament, because if you register late, there will be a large backlog of chips and it will be difficult to win back, unless you are very lucky or using a bluff.
Not necessary. There is also such a thing as $/hour. And in many tournaments, if a person plays a lot of them, registering late can bring in more $/hour.

Everything must be carefully calculated in order to understand whether it is more profitable to register later than from the very beginning of the tournament...

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I personally don't like late registration tourneys. It's bad to see that you've been playing for 3 hours, and the other person sits in and in 10 minutes has 3x as many chips as you because he beat 3 people with 3 all-ins. That is not fair. But this is just my opinion.

drinker

drinker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the best time to join a Poker tournament? Early, Middle or Late?
I think it is best to start from the beginning, that is, from the beginning of the tournament. This way, you will have more time to build your stack, and since you start from the beginning of the tournament, you won't have to take too many risks.

A

AntoniodeLima0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
When is the best time to participate in a Poker tournament? Sooner, middle, or late
It always depends on the tournament, generally I think it's good to start early or at most until the middle of registration. You can understand a bit about the players and how this tournament works. You will be able to collect chips without being in a risky situation, if you enter the end and you could play more smoothly as well. That may not matter much in tournaments that paid the entry fee, in freerolls, but it depends on each player.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Somewhere I already saw a similar question!!! In fact, everything is very individual and depends on the style of play, the speed of the blinds and how many tables you play!!! If it's a tournament with a 5-10 minute blind increase, then of course it's better to register at the beginning, but if it's a tournament with a 12-20 minute blind increase and you play a lot of tables, then many players find it pointless to waste time starting such a tournament from the very beginning, but better focus on the tables you are already playing at and register a little later with a comfortable amount of blinds of 50-60bb!!!

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Personally, I prefer to register for the tournament in advance and play from the very beginning. Especially if it's a KO or a Bounty Builder tournament - in these it matters how quickly you manage to raise your stack to the best on your table.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Anytime it's okay to get into the games, every moment has its pros and cons. Hug

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Personally, I prefer to register for the tournament in advance and play from the very beginning. Especially if it's a KO or a Bounty Builder tournament - in these it matters how quickly you manage to raise your stack to the best on your table.
Agree 100 % with Irina.

P

Panda19977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In normal tournaments I have most success when I joint when the blinds are 40-50 bb

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
By playing from the very beginning, you will have more time to play more accurately) Late registration will force you to play very aggressively, and sometimes you will even have to move all the chips to the center of the table)

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I would always play from the first hand.
Early advantage is the best advantage.

Join later makes it hard to blend in unless you have a very strong luck involved.

In KO poker, rules change.

There you can jump in anytime and start off.

In R and A games, its fine to join late as well.

But in the classic poker, best to start on time.

KevinRBTV

KevinRBTV

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
K.O from the begining and in normal MTT it doesn't matter for me

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like joining on time, amass as many chips as possible, then put pressure on the late comers

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Depends the blinds and the amount of starting chips.I prefer 50/100 that means not too late

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi all

On some platform there are benifits to reg before start.

Such as bubble protection on GGpoker & Early bird rake on 888poker which you have to take into consideration.

Only tournaments atm i wouldnt reg past early stage is PKO because a decent % of the prize pool may already be gone.

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the tourney structure. If it's deep-stack, long levels, small ante then I wait for as long as I can before entering. If it's fast-paced turbo etc., then I register early.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It varies.
Recently, however, I have experienced several times that I applied late and reached the paid places.
online poker will not reward someone who has been in the tournament since the beginning of the game. (Same as real poker)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the best time to join a Poker tournament? Early, Middle or Late?
Hi :)
If you're a bingo player, it doesn't matter. If you are a poker player, in my opinion it is better to register before the start of the tournament.

O

optikdave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate late registrations with 3 hours or more to register. I like entering those when ther's about 1/2 hour left. Depends on the entry cost too.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, for me play on time or past few minutes to try build a big stack to play focus on.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends.

In my experiences in PKO's 40bbs is fine to start, while I had so many successes in NLH starting from 20bbs. These numbers are only valid if your small stack game is strong, but the more could be the better.
The only thing why I late-reg is the game is pretty worthy to hop in late & the structure allows me to do. There are some 4+ hour additional registration times up there, which is so long that I almost never thought I'll be there from the first moment. After playing poker years and years you may not want to spend a whole day in 1 tournament with just a normal prizepool, so at the end of this you're searching for a balance in everything. :)

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I prefer to play from the first second of the tournament, I am not used to entering a tournament late, for some reason I feel pressured if I enter too late, I must clarify that if I have played tournaments that have already started a long time, it is not something I like it a lot and more if the tournament is fast blind, I think this topic is more preferable or how comfortable you feel playing and clear strategies, I know there are people who have their strategies entering the last minutes of tournaments