Should you join a tournament on time, or wait?

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Micro/low stakes. I've had success both starting from the beginning or registering within the first 30mins. I rarely late register. I mostly play MTT's with 8min or longer levels. Prefer 10mins blinds or longer. But a lot of the Bounty's or KO....MTT's are 8 min.

Cheers!!!

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to start early, register before the tournament starts and wait.
I believe that luck or randomness will not benefit equally, for example who enters later in the tournament is not more profitable than anyone else.
For me to enter early in the tournament and have the chance to double up against a weak player is very advantageous.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, this depends on kind of tournament... If this, for example, KO tournament, then better, by my opinion, to play at once,
that to win, by possibility, more the bounties in addition to basic prize money!.. If this tournament with rebyus and add-on,
then may to register and later, that to waste a less of money on rebyus, and etc... Some thing like that!..

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are many thoughts on this to be honest and some I belive are not so bad. I tend to start from the begining. I want to have every advantage I can playing and I think this is a great way to play. I do think its OK to join later if you need to and I will when i miss the start of a tournament.

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the best time to join a Poker tournament? Early, Middle or Late?
In my opinion, it depends on the structure of the tournament itself, its speed and the number of players. If we participate in fast tournaments with blind levels up to 8 minutes, it's better to play from the very beginning to try to increase the number of chips right away. But in tournaments with 15-minute levels, I would start playing after two hours from the start of the tournament and still have a good stack for normal play. Well, I don't play tournaments often, but if I do, it's exactly this strategy.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
id say middle if you have a healthy bankroll and you can rebuy pretty easy if its affordable for you, with a low bankroll though I would just start off from the get go:)

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
For me it depends on the tournament
There are turbo tournaments that are very aggressive so it is better to sign up late

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
You need to register from the very beginning of the tournament, because if you register late, there will be a large backlog of chips and it will be difficult to win back, unless you are very lucky or using a bluff.

Grabobbe

Grabobbe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
For me it depends on the tournament
There are turbo tournaments that are very aggressive so it is better to sign up late
Unless you join too late… Joining a Hyper on pokerstars 1/2h late, and you will be left with just one all-in with all your eggs in one basket.
Joining early will make it possible to rob some of the poor players, or the ones who doesn’t care if they bust out quickly. Just play defensively in the beginning, and you’ll be fine with all the aggressive players.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to start the game right away at the start of the tournament. More chances to watch the flop when the BB is low. That means raising the stack.

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends,if I play freerolls I love to join in late game because many bad players will leave game until then but if I play with my own money then I would go and join in start because I would need to build really big amount of the chips so I can be ready for late game.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me I decide mainly on the opportunity cost of my time. If there are other things I should or could do instead I will late register. Right now with the ACR streamer tourneys I am mostly late registering because they are extremely long tourneys and I do not want to commit that much time. However I know in doing so I am forfeiting almost all chance to win a thousand dollar bounty.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like 50-60 blinds stack , more I tend to make mistakes, overestimate the high cards value

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It ABSOLUTELY depends on the tournament and your own personal goals.

I have a weekly tournament that I can earn a free entry into very easily. In this tournament I wait till the last second then I SLOW PLAY the entire game and I ALWAYS make the prizes. I can't say it's FUN poker just using up the clock, but hey it's a guaranteed win. Once I am in the prizes I will play regular poker.

BUT..... in general I tend to do better playing right from the start. But that is because of my style of play. I look at the game style and speed and decide then.

GREAT question!!

ramorleans

ramorleans

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow! All your insights are awesome! So I think it really depends on the tournament structure and how you play including your bankroll.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
whilst I'd generally prefer to start on time, in reality, I play whenever I see a tourney which has a decent payout and with a relatively small number of players. I like to search for the games which offer good value, regardless of how far into late reg it is. I still play a lot of freerolls and will register any time i can with those. For most knockouts or bounty builders its good to get in early and set mine...but I don't mind getting in with 18 blinds or so..it's still enough to make people think twice when you shove...but yyou can double up quickly when shoving AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK against the big stacks.

For the super deep tourneys though, I can find it tiring if I'm just playing and not doing something else at the same time. So I'll go as late as possible with some of them. As some have mentioed, the stack size can still be reasonable, and it saves a couple hours without seriously impeding your progress and you avoid those early crappy suckouts that happen when playing against the fish who are playing any two cards.

In the end, do what works for you and which suits your needs.

Cheers,
JT

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If it has late registration, early till middle is better because the blinds are suitable to play comfortably. If you get in the game late, the blinds are very big compairing to your starting stack.

waitandblead123

waitandblead123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like to start the tournament from the beginning, sometimes from the middle.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
the sooner the better you enter the tournament, you will have more time to collect the chips from the fish and go far ahead so that you have a chance to make it to the final table later

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is the best time to join a Poker tournament? Early, Middle or Late?
for me it all depends on the late registration time, up to 30 minutes, I enter from the beginning, then I try to enter in the middle of the late registration

whinwa

whinwa

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on format. I never late reg for PKO/KO's but for standard tournaments I often late-reg down to 20BB.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to be playing right from the start. I like to get in when the blinds are super low and get a feel for the players at my first table.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online in the micros I do like the late reg and try and double up quickly.

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On Time or early, get to know the players..... Catch the fish.......