Should you ever limp?

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Small Blind if its all folded to me I might sometimes limp to see the flop if BB doesn't raise.

And if a few have already limped and I'm in a late position with OK but not good hands I might limp a hand I'd normally fold to see if I can get value if there's a good flop for me.

But other than that, if I'm not in a blind position or following others I'm increasingly trying not to ever limp, whatever stage of the tournament. If I've got a good enough hand to go into the pot, then I'm going to make the BB pay to see the flop. If I don't have a good enough hand to raise, I'm trying more often to fold.

Is there for you a stage in a tournament when it makes sense to limp from an early or middle position?

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's keep it simple...YES.

Not to over think a situation. I would just to "lure" in a "field" of bettors and swoop in for the kill later.

Thank you for listening!!

..bluff..

:cool:

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely it pays to limp in, in many cases, especially if you have a large stack.

It's all about circumstances, odds and reading opponents.

And change it up if you get busted !

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yes, I forgot that one. Limp to bluff a sense of weakness. I was UTG with AA the other day in the first blind level of the Tournament so I limped in. Everyone folded, even SB.

Checked flop, BB checked. Min-raise on Turn, BB folded.

I won 110 chips from my AA FFS.

Any other circumstances when it makes sense to do so?

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I limp way to much these days. and get crushed.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, medium strength hands are good candidates to limp in, especially against opponents who overplay their good hand, you can win a big pot if you hit the flop hard.

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a big fan of limping. I feel like I should be folding or betting. By limping with your not so good hands that you want to see a flop with. I feel multi way you're just going to end up folding that hand the majority of the time. Seems like a waste of a blind in my opinion.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am limping in position where I want to see a cheap flop with low racked cards. The strategy is low risk high reward in a sense that no cards hit the flop, fold it but hit a grand hand that’s the moneymaker.

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I like to limp after I take down a hand being the aggressor. The limping then makes the table think I’m weak…then I crush them.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping behind and SB limping with an ante are the two situations, where it makes sense to limp. If you never do it in other situations, that is going to be totally fine and certainly not a leak.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better to pick up the blinds right away if possible. Since limping will not give you enough advantage.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As Small Blind if its all folded to me I might sometimes limp to see the flop if BB doesn't raise.

And if a few have already limped and I'm in a late position with OK but not good hands I might limp a hand I'd normally fold to see if I can get value if there's a good flop for me.

But other than that, if I'm not in a blind position or following others I'm increasingly trying not to ever limp, whatever stage of the tournament. If I've got a good enough hand to go into the pot, then I'm going to make the BB pay to see the flop. If I don't have a good enough hand to raise, I'm trying more often to fold.

Is there for you a stage in a tournament when it makes sense to limp from an early or middle position?
You limp a lot of starting hands, including outright rubbish, and fold very few of them. For a long time, it was believed that opening limping - including with SB - is a bad (suboptimal) game. However, with the development of poker and poker software in particular, namely solvers that help to find balanced, non-expansive strategies and solutions, players began to understand that limps are an integral part of an optimal strategy for playing on SB. And the confirmation of the correctness of these decisions is the top high-stakes cash players,However, the problem with all these complex strategies is that they cannot be implemented in practice. After all, if you play with implementation, you can lose more EV than if you were playing with a simplified strategy. That is why in poker you always need to find a balance between complexity and practicality.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping from SB is good, other cases? well maybe if it's really aggressive table and you're holding AA in UTG knowing for sure that there will be raise so you can 3bet it.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Limping depends on what your table image is!

razarach_xD

razarach_xD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Of course... if you are in the mid position there no matter hand but opponents to left are just checking and folding.... why not see cheap flop... because implied odds (will get to formula with more limpers if on your call pot was small...
I also limp with small pair from mid on blind...
Etc...

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's nice to see other peoples thoughts on this but I tend to limp when I have a strong hand with still 3-5 players to go, most people enjoy raising the pot and when they do you can be the one then to make them really pay after they raised it.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp

Of course I will limp after seeing the flop and knowing I have a winning hand such as quads in hopes others might fill their boat or flush. Raising on the flop will usually just caused other to fold. So I will just check or call others bets until the river and then bet max

GL ALL :D

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually limp when my foot is really sore...LOL...I tend to limp with nothing if others have limped in before me. I don't limp with a strong hand...every time I do that, it backfires on me and somebody beats me with a lucky river. I do not limp in the small blind because the BB raises me 100% of the time, and I fold having donated to his stack.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are uncountable occasions to limp.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also like you play limp from the SB position. I can also limp to multipot in the position of CO or BTN. In other cases, I play fold or open-raise.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open limping ie being the first one to limp is usually not the optimal play, because you usually end up in a hand out of position and without initiative. When you raise... it gives you initiative in the hand, it causes other players to fold, and it makes the pot bigger when you win.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always hear professionals saying that Limp strategies are actually really hard stuff to implement and that only the best have this kind of strategy,

At the same time, limping seems to be used in any situation on micro/freeroll games.

BTW - Limp is a Pre-flop action.

So, out of SB position and based on my experiences I would never recommend doing something like limping.

Remember, poker is about telling a story. If you limp, what are you telling the other players?

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping

I agree with your analysis re limping however many times early in a tourney I have seen players Limp with Premium hands, i.e. AK, KK, etc only to get beat by Junk that played because of the limp???:):):)

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely limp, just when I'm slow playing, but even on slow playing, not 100% of time

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Many limp with specific hands and stack sizes , it can be profitable , see what odds you get , or even set traps and win big . I lump sometims KK UTG , but never AA , got some crashes in the past by limping AA , maybe only in cash games , sometimes lol