Should I call 2 shoves with AKs in the early stages of tourny?

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy fold
i cant understand players who shove ak or call in that spot
you want to let luck decide?
or you ll win a tournament the day you will win all the coinflips?
in that stage shoving with anything worst than qq is bad play and definetly if you call with ak there...

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not risking my stack early on with AK in that scenario. There is plenty of time to build up a chip stack without having to risk your entire tournament life.

cjmoles

cjmoles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the Buy-In....cheap tourney, push; more expensive tourney, fold; in between....roe, sham, boe!

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was months ago, I would say is logical that must push AK. But today I say no. It mellhor play more safely and to accumulate chips, even if you have note about the player saying he is a complete idiot. But that does not mean that I do not do this, day after day. In short, if you are in your right mind do not do that.

M

mosdvzone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Early stage in a freeroll go for it. Late stage of a real I say know how your table players are. How much are you risking.how much will you gain.

ViresIntus

ViresIntus

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It just depends on the flop at that point, you could call and possibly make a big win to chip up, but if its late in the tourney then expect better players playing with better hands. Sometimes its so enticing to go in with a really good hand, but when you sit back and see 3 or 4 other players all playing hands, chances are they have your Aces and kings, and you wont see them on board. SO, why not just fold and fight a different hand.

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a sketchy spot because the two other guys might have some of your outs.

pricechoppin

pricechoppin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think its a good call but a lot of people love to shove when holding AK

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would rarely do this early in a tournament becuase more than likely you are completely dominated or at best flipping. The only way I would call this is if it were a very small buy in and i have seen some definite reads on the players that pushed. Other than that pick a better spot to call and hope to get in a 4-1 or 5-1 favorite when you put all your chips at risk. Even a 4-1 or 5-1 you arent really that far ahead you can still easily lose, so the point of a tournament is to never ever put your entire stack at risk. So the best you can do is get in when you are way ahead. Good luck at the tables.

duckeyflop17

duckeyflop17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like others have said its a coin toss, Most would make the call on a very good chance of chipping up nicely

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the people who want to know the info about the opponents. If the BB is a super-tight player then you better be careful. Judge the hand strength and the situation. I was recently in a similar position. I was UTG +1 in the 3rd level. I opened for 3.5 BBs and it was folded around to the button who re-raised and the BB pushed. These two had been calling big raises and pushing with any suited connectors or better in late position. So I called with AKs and the button called with 10 8s, the BB had KQo. The point is that even though AK is a monster and your in great shape against most other hands, you have to know your opponents. That's probably the most important and most overlooked skill in poker.

R

RandyMarsh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Def a better spot with 2 all ins. Likely that one of the player also has an ace or king so could be in worse ship than u think

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you even HAVE a concept of just how many insane people play online poker?! :p

Personally, in the early stages of a tournament, I wouldn't call a preflop shove with less than KK until the blind levels reach a point where the stack you started with constitutes 20 BB or less. But then, I'm confident enough in my ability to outplay people to not rely on early double ups. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that unless you feel you NEED that kind of advantage to be able to go deep, steer clear of situations that put your tournament life at risk early on. In the early stages, your life isn't at risk unless you voluntarily put it so.

Btw in before someone asks me, YES I would fold QQ preflop if someone raised all in preflop at level 2 of a tournament. There is NO good reason to take that kind of risk so early no matter how much of a favorite you are, unless as I said you believe you need to win that kind of pot.

I agree 100%. I would fold in this case too.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll I will call 100% of the time even if it is a CC freeroll. Might be smart enough to fold this in a CC freeroll and would definitely fold in CC league for the team.
If there is a cash buyin involved it is an easy fold. No need to gamble all your chips early when there is a buyin involved.

E

ElgringoLoco

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll, or if it is a low stakes rebuy tournament I would call to chip up early. If this is a mid-high stake or live tournament it is an incredibly easy fold to make. Someone UTG with that many BBs should have a strong range. Then you have the other villian with 90 BBs shoving on top. Insta fold in any tournament with decent players.

Last edited:
J

jacksonionh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either way is fine, all the time in a freeroll but not freeroll you can pretty much do whichever you'd like. Kinda depends on whether it's a turbo tournament or deep stack. Keep that in mind as well

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should be a fold here, when the 80BB stack re-shoves like that it looks very strong, I'd say QQ+ or AK. You're not short on chips to be taking these gambles.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too early,unless you got AA,its better to fold in tournament play.

M

Mug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a LAG player by default, but this is without a doubt in this situation an easy fold. It is not even close. Calling 90BB preflop with nothing but AK is gambling, not poker. You should expect to have no more than 32-42% equity with most reasonable situations putting you in the 32-38% range. Which means more often than not, your tourney is over. If either player has a pocket pair, even deuces, and the other player holds rags, you are looking at about a best case scenario of 42%

In another scenario if one person has pocket TT-QQ and the other person has a hand that you dominate such as AQ, you are in a worse scenario and at best have around 33% equity.

If you run into KK you could estimate 25% and if you run into AA you are looking at less than 8%.

There is no favorable situation in any of these scenarios where you can expect to win more often than not in a 3 way pot. Early double ups are not nearly as valuable as some make them out to be. It is best to find another spot.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would depend on the type of tournament it is.

If it's a freezeout MTT, easy fold in the early stages.

If it's a rebuy or re-enter MTT, I'll call and hope to do better than a double up.