Rebuys and Add Ons - Are they worth it?

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the tournament and it's best to add on most times. Most of the time I play tournaments, I almost never rebuy and most times I add on.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that depends on the tournament, position you are in at the time of tournament and the rebuy amount. However, I don't rebuy in freerolls, i try to make my money early

freerollz

freerollz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When considering a rebuy, I try to ask myself the following questions:

1. Am I mentally fresh enough to see any potential success through to the end? If yes, I'll be more likely to rebuy.
2. Am I playing well and, in particular, well against my opponents? If yes, I'll be more likely to rebuy.
3. Am I at an early enough stage in the tournament to effectively leverage the rebuy stack (will I be starting with enough big blinds relative to my opponents)? If yes, I'll be more likely to rebuy.

When considering an add-on, I try to ask myself the following questions:

1. Am I short stacked and, in particular, relative to my opponents? If yes, I'll be more likely to add on.
2. Do I have a distinct skill advantage over my opponents? If yes, I'll be more likely to NOT add on.
3. Am I far from the money? If yes, I'll be more likely to add on.

I should also mention that by rebuy, I mean re-entry.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
E

eluwinka0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats my strategy:

Rebuy: Always at the start of tournament (so I have 2x starting stack), but very rarely when I lose, only sometimes when it is still early phase of the tournament.

Addon: Almost always. I mean when I am not super short a this phase (like under 10 bb, so even with addon I will be still short), I am doing an addon.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Add ons seems a bit ok to me but rebuys seems like crap that's not worth it.

K

KPC16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a noob to poker but will still give my opinion on rebuys. I think it's important to me at least to avoid rebuys because you want to take advantage of the one-shot you have.

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I'm a noob to poker but will still give my opinion on rebuys. I think it's important to me at least to avoid rebuys because you want to take advantage of the one-shot you have.

I confirm your opinion and play it the same way without rebuys. 2nd problem is that the normal rebuy gives you again a starting point with smaller chips than the average player has..that makes it harder the later you make a rebuy.

P

PB1981

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy

When you do a rebuy it will helps if your first cards will be AA. Than you can come back in the game

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I always use them for sattelite tournaments. But if I have big stack, than i do not use add on.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you play a rebuy/add-on tourney you should always plan on getting the add-on imo....

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I cant see why like late registration

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing wrong with then just go into it knowing the number of re buys you would be willing to take and the add on and figure it as one entry and size your bankroll towards tourneys of that size. I never add on or rebuy in free rolls . I might reenter in 200-500 player fields usually not less than 40 bb deep. I may re enter up to the end of Late Reg is the overlay is deep.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Second chance" tournaments are just completely normal tournaments
Whenever this question comes up, people always massively mess up the different tournament formats, which excist. The most common online tournaments today allow one or more "second chance" reenter or rebuy the only difference being, that if its rebuy, then you keep your seat, but if its reenter, you are usually placed at a new table.

But in both situations its just like playing the same tournament one more time, and there are no strategic adjustments to be made. Basically all, you need to ask yourself is, if you just opened the poker client and wanted to start playing, is this the tournament, you would choose? If yes then go ahead and press that rebuy / reenter button, if no then dont.

Typically if I bust very early due to some kind of cooler situation like my KK running into AA, yes then I rebuy or reenter. Why would I not? If on the other hand the tournament has been running for 1,5 hours, and a starting stack is now only 20BB, then I probably dont, because I think, some of my edge comes from being there from the beginning. Also other tournaments will have started, so unless its something very special like the Sunday Million, which only runs once a week, I might as well play something else.

R+A tournaments are something completely different
Then however there are the R+A tournaments, which are something completely different. Its basically like a hybrid between a tournament and a cash game for the first typically 60-90 minutes, and usually allows unlimited rebuys. And unlike the "second chance" rebuys, you can rebuy, as soon as your stack is below a starting stack. This in itself is not a +EV move, but I might still do it, if my stack is about to become shorter than 10BB, or if there are huge fish at the table, who have me covered.

At the end of the late registration period players are then allowed to add-on, and this is, where the R+A really differ from other tournaments, because those add-on chips are cheaper than chips purchased during the rebuy phase. On pokerstars they are 33% cheaper, and on 888 Poker its even 50% in most of their R+A´s.

This mean, you basically always have to purchase the addon chips, because even if you are the chip leader, there is no scenario, where the ICM value of additional chips is less than half the ICM value of an average chip in the tournament. So on 888 Poker I have enabled auto add-on, so that I dont ever miss this opportunity due to being busy with other tables etc.

Purchasing that add-on, while some of your opponents dont, is probably the easiest edge, you can find anywhere in online poker. This also mean, its pretty bad to not make it to the add-on period, so usually you should be prepared to rebuy if needed.

The only times, I dont rebuy in a R+A is, if I am tilted after busting, the table is very tough, I want to end my session earlier than planned, or I want to reduce my table count. If for instance I am running deep in a 22$ MTT, then focusing on playing well there is more important to my EV than staying in a 2,2$ R+A, which I also entered.

It can also be a reasonable strategy to register in the very last moment in an R+A to reduce the risk, that rebuys are going to be needed. In that way you will start the shoot-out phase as a below average stack, but you will have paid less for your chips than what, they are worth.

ASHUKPOK

ASHUKPOK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm having trouble seeing the value of an add on or rebuy.

Hi. I saw your question, decided to express my opinion and share my experience, which allowed me to get significant prize money in such a tournament with minimal costs.
I completely agree that rebuy is effective in the early stages, but if it's not hyper-turbo, in which many play super aggressively.
As for the Add-on, it is effective when it allows you to become one of the winners when buying it, so that you have more chances to compete for higher places.
In one of the series of tournaments, I came to the stage of Addons with a stack of about 20 thousand. Moreover, I registered 5 minutes before the end of registration and the rebuy period (2 hours). The stack depth at this point was about 12 BB. By the beginning of the addons, I was lucky and I was able to double up. For $ 2.2, I bought 50 thousand more and was able to reach the prizes as a result and received about $ 20 in the end.:D

It turned out that for an hour of playing with a total investment of $ 4.4, I got a five-fold efficiency.:eek: