Rebuys and Add Ons - Are they worth it?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats why rebuy/add-on is the game of survival.

No cash backing, no continuation.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must always take the add-on unless you're like 100K stack and the add on is 3K. If you're looking for a good value rebuy try out the 1+R [3xturbo] Mincash is around $20+ and if you run deep there's some great prizes to be won at the final table. Pre add-on play super tight and raise your premiums big. What i do is play shove/fold till the rebuy ends. Yes, very exploitable, but those people are just donks and call with trash. Its a big field and a bad structure but theres lots of fish and very good value. But once you make the add on you get a 30k add-on for just a dollar. In this case you must always rebuy. Never quit before the add-on, if you don't that is -EV.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Add-On is usually a no-brainer great value and should be taken.

OTH, rebuys are really dependent on your roll, how deep the blinds and antes are and what you believe your value (skill relative to others) in the donkament is.

If you're still deep (40BB w/ rebuy or more) and believe you have an edge/are rolled, ofc you should rebuy unless you wanted to do something else.

If it's closer to 20BB, I would USUALLY err towards not taking the rebuy.....and much less than that almost never.

UhhWee

UhhWee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually dont make rebuys, only if i bust in 1st or 2nd blind level.
Addon 90% a must-do if playing addons!!

widron2s

widron2s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitly say add-ons are worth it. Add-on can change the game especially if it's 2x your stack or even half your stack. Rebuys, however, depend on what you bust out in. If you have a bad beat, I would say 50/50, but if you're deep or near late reg, I wouldn't rebuy.

S

still100

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
always take the rebuys and addon in 2r1a tournaments

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that the rebuys are not usually cost effective, but the addon is almost always cost effective. Usually the addon is double or more chips than the rebuy will supply, and around the time you are allowed to addon, the addon is around 10 Big Blinds or more, which is a very significant increase to your stack. If you have over 40 Big Blinds you can start to feel secure enough not to buy an addon, but another 10 BB's can always be helpful in propelling you deeper into the tourney.

The argument could be made that rebuying immediately after your first blind is taken out can make a big difference, and it can, but you have to weigh that against your cashing frequency and the amount of variance you are willing to handle. The stack to blind ratio at the beginning of the tourney usually gives you enough room to maneuver without needing that extra depth, but if someone else at the table has already rebought up to double or doubled up through play, if you think you can beat them fair and square, it could be worth it to make sure you have an equal chipstack to take advantage of any opportunity you have when in a hand with them.

This is very well-said. I've seen general rule of thumbs that equate to "don't rebuy if the average stack is double your starting stack," but your thought process tends to make a little more sense. We should really be thinking about these matters in terms of stack proportions—which makes the case for the add ons easy.

Does anyone consider the prize pool of the minimum cash prize when they do add ons or rebuys? That seems to make the most sense to me. Even if it's a good proportion, it doesn't make sense to rebuy for 20 dollars if the min. prize is 40 dollars and you aren't close to cashing.

newelis74

newelis74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the GTD of the specific tournament, in some it may be worth doing 1,2 or even 3 rebuys. In others, just let it go and that's it .. Some can be really very expensive if one is infatuated with buy back buy buy buy back ...
I also won't buy back if the blinds are already too high compared to my starting stack. But they are points of view ... I have bought back 3 times because I had a lot of faith and ended up winning the tournament but as I tell you, only if it is worth it, on some occasions it can be very expensive.

V

VBB112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I feel I have an skill edge, then why not rebuy? I try not to rebuy if I'm going to have less than 30bb. However, my math skills sometimes fail me. :icon_tong

I need to start tracking my success rate with a single entry vs rebuying.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are tournaments with an unlimited number of rebuys, and 10-50 times more than the starting one - a tournament for luck, you need to make a calculation in advance or play tournaments without rebuys and edons

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament it makes sense to take a rebuy, I think you can take a rebuy up to 30 bb.

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually don t do them. Rebuys to me mostly are a sign of not doing well. Add-ons can be good from time to time giving loads of chips for small money. Though i dont value them too much in a freeroll since the prizepool isnt too large.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Effectively using rebuys are a significant part of the strategy in rebuy/add-on tournaments. For example, taking the initial rebuy to double your stack size means that you get to play deeper right off the bat and you can cover the table to get maximum value from your big hands.

Note that rebuys are not the same as re-entries so you can't look at them the same way. If you're looking to only use one buy-in and not take the add-on, you are putting yourself at a significant disadvantage. It's best to avoid these kinds of tournaments altogether as you'll often be the smallest stack at your table.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. You always want to have max chips available.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only value is playing them and not rebuying or taking an add on.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having trouble seeing the value of an add on or rebuy. I guess if you get unlucky really early when the blinds are still low, it can make sense to buy in again. Rebuys and add-ons after the blinds have gone up for an hour or more doesn't make as much sense to me. Am I missing something?

yes, it's an extra chance to win the tournament, what do you need more?

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only ran into one rebuy tournament on pokerstars Pennsylvania. It's a $5 unlimited w/an add- on. I allow myself 4 units for it.

To avoid the maniacs I don't register until about 5 minutes before late reg is closed. I then try to wait for a hand to attempt to double up with, hopefully twice. If that don't work them I double rebuy and sit around and wait for another dial-up possibility and then always get the add-on.

It's worked for me so far by winning this tournament multiple times and cashing approximately 30-40% of the time.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Worth it if U have the bankroll and the time.

Rebuy's and add-ons, if it is part of your game, have value. Some need the assurance that they won't go broke with a loss on an all-in; they factor in a rebuy or two.
The downside is the unlimited rebuy tourneys. They take forever. The ladder never seems to shrink because of the rebuys.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In my opinion it depends on the point of view in which you look at it, many people rebuy in a crazy way, bet with anything and lose and rebuy after another, others just seem to play well or have very good cards and lose and rebuy ( some do not tolerate and do the same as the previous case), I do not find much sense to do rebuy, I do not suddenly have a theoretical explanation of why it is necessary to rebuy, in particular I do not do them, I avoid doing it, in case of add on I think that many times if it is necessary depending on the tournament, chips you have etc,

lexyyxel

lexyyxel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanna do it ! But i never did that !

M

mijam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the tournament.
usually 1r/1a
i register (on america cardroom) in last minute of late registration and then i take reebuy.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In R+A tournaments you should always purchase the add-on, especially if its large compared to a starting stack. Your first goal is to make it to that point, and while its not a goal in itself to rebuy, you should do it if nessesary. The only times, I dont, is if I want to end my session early, reduce my table count, or I am on tilt.

As some have said, it can be a reasonable strategy to register in the last minute, so you only have to play a few hands before the add-on. Also note that some R+A tournaments only charge rake of the initial buyin. If you are an MTT player, this is an offer, which is simply to good to pass on. So if the choise is between for instance a 2,2$ R+A and a 5,5$ regular MTT, then always select the 2,2 R+A first.

The biggest caveat of R+A tournaments are, that they require a larger bankroll. Since you are always spending the add-on and often one or more rebuys as well, the 100 x bankroll rule dont apply to R+As. You need to view a 2,2$ R+A more or less like a 5,5$ regular MTT and have at least the same bankroll.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-buy Add-on

I'm having trouble seeing the value of an add-on or rebuy. I guess if you get unlucky really early when the blinds are still low, it can make sense to buy in again.

Rebuys after the blinds have gone up for an hour or more actually make sense to me especially if you have a healthy stack. You increase your chance of getting a better payout. As for the re-buys it's not really worth it for me

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't sure about playing re buy mtts and then I found my self re-buying and making it into the money where I more than recouped my cost. Ok I thought but I then took another look at my play and realized I had overplayed my cards and busted out basically making a stupid shove. Obviously I was feeling somewhat protected by the re-buy cushion. I decided to avoid most rebuy mtts and haven't looked back since.

K

Keith557444

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no value in rebuys by the time you rebuy in 2 or 3 times u need to finish in at least top 3rd of money to just get your money back i just do initial buy in and try to play solid poker sometimes i wait for an hr to enter tourney by that time you get most of the maniacs out so you can play more sound poker instead of trying to play bad hands against these guys to get their chips so in my opinion stick to your original buy in play sound poker if you lose when u get outdrawn just move to next one