Re-buys... Is it worth it or not?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of players shove with bs during the rebuy period and it looks more like gamble than like poker.
and that's not a bad thing.

bad players are shoving in their deep stacks with bad hands. would you rather have them fold and only play the best hands?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the tournament that I play is slow and they give 100k in chips, I feel that if the registration is about to close it is not good to make rebuys, it is very risky, usually I register in the middle of the tournament and if they eliminate me a little quickly I do the rebuy
if you're taking the re-buy option, thinking about joining in right before it closes and take the add-on option .

let's say you play a $1 mtt and buy in with an hour left in the rebuy period, and you start with 30 bbs. you still have an hour left to play until registration to end, which means it takes an longer and more players to get through. if there are 200 players when you join, and they all re-buy, there will still be 200 players an hour later, or more as other players late register.

if you buy-in right before late registration ends and take the add-on option, you still start with a decent stack. usually the add-on will be 1.5 - 2x your starting bbs. so, if you start with 10 bbs after late registering, you'll have 25-30 bbs when you take the add-on option. it'll depend on the site, though.

the best thing, is that there is no more re-buys and the mtt now plays like a freezeout. so, if there are 200 players remaining, there will be fewer an hour later, which makes it a little easier for you to make it to the final table. all you need to do is make stack size adjustments, which is no different than starting with 100 bbs and getting down to 30 bbs as the game progresses / blinds go up.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer frezeouts over re buy or re-entry events. Are they worth it? I am honestly not sure but starting to see some of the values of them. My poker coach told me something that has brought on this change in my thinking. They are not as bad as I thought but depending on how you use them is more important. Recently I say a player who had bought in for the max 10 times. OK its his money and we were getting closer to the money at the time. The problem was for him to break even he needed to finish 6th.

I think using the rebuy option is not that bad an idea if used wisely.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you rebuy late you only have less blinds and you will be succumbed to playing bad cards and lose anyway .

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will depend on how many bbs they give you at the moment of buying back, I think if it is more than 20 bbs it is worth it, because it will allow you to make moves, it will also depend on how you are at that moment, and also if it is a big tournament.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi guys

Could you give me some tips on re-buys, if it's worth doing and when?

Thanks in advance!
I think it should only be done in the early stages of the tournament. Although probably it all depends on your strategy and your bankroll management as a whole. I mostly prefer tournaments without rebuys.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer frezeouts over re buy or re-entry events. Are they worth it? I am honestly not sure but starting to see some of the values of them. My poker coach told me something that has brought on this change in my thinking. They are not as bad as I thought but depending on how you use them is more important. Recently I say a player who had bought in for the max 10 times. OK its his money and we were getting closer to the money at the time. The problem was for him to break even he needed to finish 6th.

I think using the rebuy option is not that bad an idea if used wisely.
re-entry mtts play similar to freezeout mtts. when a player re-enters, they start with a fresh stack and at a new table. so, it's almost like it's a fresh new person late registered into the game.

if you think about it, there is very little difference between:
  • 200 players starting a re-entry mtt and 100 of them re-entering once, effective adding 300 buy-ins to the prize pool.
  • 200 players starting a freezeout mtt and 100 more players joining in during late registration, effectively adding 300 buy-ins to the prize pool.
the only difference is you can re-enter as a fresh new player and you'll have to adjust for players who play a bit looser during the re-entry period. but, if you have the edge, that shouldn't matter in the long run.

with rebuys, play is a lot looser in my experience, especially at the early stages. but it can also be very profitable, especially if you take the early rebuy option to double your stack. again, if you have an edge, this could be to your advantage.

personally, I don't like super deep stack play or early stages of a rebuy mtt, so I late register last minute and take the rebuy + add-on option. yes, I am at a slight disadvantage by doing this, but:
  • I'm usually around average stack. if not, I still have 30+ bbs to play with
  • late registration and the game plays like a freeze out
  • majority of the field is gone, usually 50 - 75%, but the payout field size is the same for all total entrants. I've played rebuy mtts where it was only 20 players from the money and the bottom dozen didn't even take the add-on option.
  • note: it's important to play for the win as min-cash rarely covers the total buy-in. it's not terrible if it covers the rebuy and add-on, basically given extra chips for free in a $1 buy-in mtt.
another slight advantage to rebuy mtts vs re-entry is you only pay rake once / less rake in most rebuy games, at the initial buy in. the re-buy and add-on options are usually rake free.

so, re-entering into $1 + .10 re-entry mtt is $3 + .30 total, or 10% rake. same as buying into a $3 + .30 freeze out. when I late register into a $1.10 rb/a mtt, and take all options, I'm only paying $3.10 in total. or 3% rake. and I get a bigger late registration starting stack.

anyway, just some things I wanted to share.

Last edited:
WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it´s worth but when i take a badbeat i move in to next tourney.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm trying not to play rebuy tournaments. Only at the beginning of the game can you use the purchase. Then, when BB increases, the purchase effect decreases.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No re buys for me . You are at a disadvantage,look at chip stack of top 10 players

O

OstroLB

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I already played making three re-buys and I did well twice, I already won that way so I like to bet making re-buys

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on many factors - time - bankroll - desire, etc

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
it's easier to beat variance in re-entry tournaments, it definitely makes sense to do one to three

D

dmnchmp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
Hi. I don't re-buy ever. I believe that if I am capable of getting into the prizes, I can do it without re-buying, and if I am not good enough, re-buying will not help me. It's funny to watch a person make a re-buy and lose their entire stack in a minute.

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion rebuying more than twice is pointless because you're unlikely to get your money back if you get paid, It becomes gambling the final table most of the time

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No re buys for me . You are at a disadvantage,look at chip stack of top 10 players
how is this any different than playing a freezeout mtt and not having a top 10 chip stack?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion rebuying more than twice is pointless because you're unlikely to get your money back if you get paid, It becomes gambling the final table most of the time
which is why final table, top 3, and 1st place should be the goal in mtts.

the point of mtts isn't to get your money back because you never will if your goal is just to cash. why spend hours in an mtt just to get your money back? you could just not play any mtts and keep 100% of your money because you're never going to cash in 100% of the mtts you play. even with a hefty 50% itm finish, you're going to lose money.

sidd4rt4

sidd4rt4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
if u are close to the add ons it works

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that if it's a good tournament and you're playing well, it's good to rebuy. As long as you keep up the good game. Many times it happens that they are left out of the tournament due to a bad beat and they are bought back and they continue playing but not as focused.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me, it really depends on the structure of the tournament and the standard of the player pool.

I will often rebuy as many times as I need to when I feel I have an edge on the field.

Also if there is an add-on, this is a major factor. Most add-ons are the same as the entry fee, but twice the chips, so you're essentially getting a 50% discount, so you really want to get to that add-on stage. Even if you have to rebuy right at the last moment, that add-on can mean you have 30bb.

Personally, I don't really think about it as rebuying, but more simply entering a new tournament. You do need to think about BRM a bit more with Rebuy tournaments though. If your max buy-in is $100, you probably shouldn't play higher that $33, or even $22 Rebuys.