Re-Buy Tournament Strategy

COLA981

COLA981

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy/add-on

What do you consider in a situation before determining to rebuy or add-on?

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
neither
Poker usually takes a lot of time
rebuy and add-on ... only extend the game more
It's very boring

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I would like to play longer then I rebuy or if the tournament has a lot of value then it's a good idea to rebuy.

C

Cblevs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you look at the guy who came in second in the Sunday Million at pokerstars then a rebuy obviously is worth it if you think you can make it. Guess it would come down to if you have the money or not. As for me I never have the money haha.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally I don't like those tournament, there are players rebuy many times, but you can take advantage of this situation but it's hard, at any time you lose a hand very strong, the good thing those tournaments are the awards

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally dislike Add-On tournaments. You usually have to get the add on to be competitive. If I have 100 or more buy in's I always rebuy and if the tourney is special or high value I rebuy.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play them, I am ready to instantly re-buy. Then I will always use the add on, so take into account your bankroll and plan on spending at least this much.

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally hate R&A tournaments. I think it's unfair to the other players. I know, I know, the R&As are going in the prize pool, blah blah. Doesn't matter. It should be one buy-in and that's all.

PS: I'm more okay with rebuys than add-ons, but in my perfect world, there would be neither.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on prizes and some particular situation.for example in intertops when i play Jackpor freerolls i use all rebuys and addon if i need it why? because i can spend all my money since Intertops stopped paying to me.

F

Forbesy604

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant stand add ons and rebuys unless its a home game.

COLA981

COLA981

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reby/addon

i think that is hard to play this turnament without money for 1,2, rebuy and addon

woonybet

woonybet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends on the moment you bust out I believe, if it's early in rebuy should really be an option. The add-ons I mostly feel like it is not worth it compared to stack sizes. But again that varies.

Personally, when I bust out I rather walk.. :)

andrew0211

andrew0211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i always 2-4 rebuys and addons

R

raymondzav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to maybe do 1 rebuy if, I get a really bad beat. I don't like much to do the add on.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rebuy addons can get very expensive really quick. I usually try to spin in..double up on my own, and add rebuy if its not going good get out another good option, is to snipe the game and cut your loss if it dont work out. IMHO

Shalarin

Shalarin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
none of them. That only makes poeple play much too lose if they can afford to re-enter (in my opinion) I think it's more fun if you only have one chance in a tournament.

molodoi3000

molodoi3000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never do rebuy. If you have lost you will lose also the second

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how I'm feeling. If I make a horrible play and am not feeling like playing I will just quit, but if I get coolered or sucked out on I will usually rebuy. If I need chips I will add-on during add-on period.

If you don't like rebuy and add-on tournaments don't play them. Fairly simple concept as the have many freezeout mtts out there.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebut depends on blinds. Add on only if I am mid pack if I'm low I'm low and if I have plenty of chips a waste to me

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally try to avoid these tournaments, but sometimes there just isn't enough freezeout tournament action. I guess rebuying can be worth it if you will have a good amount of BBs.

K

KevinLee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider this before the tournament. If I'm not willing to rebuy a few times and not addon the tournament is not worth entering.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider this before the tournament. If I'm not willing to rebuy a few times and not addon the tournament is not worth entering.

This is exactly right - don't play them if you are not willing and able to re-buy at least 2-3 times and always do the add-on.

The mistake a lot of players make is not calculating this into the buy-in. A $3+.30 re-buy needs to be considered at least a $12 entry - and if those are over your budget then you shouldn't play it.

Entering a $3+30 re-buy with the intention of only spending $3.+.30 is a very bad idea. You are immediately out-stacked by players who are way better than you are and have chips to use against. Plus even the weaker players will be playing extremely loose in the re-buy period - and unless you get some lucky double or triple ups you will not be able to play a proper game against them.

B

BigSlick20

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like rebuy tournaments in general but you can gain a lot of chips from the bingo players.

RakeFace

RakeFace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ran sharkscope on my latest games before moving into Spins

I was heavily focuse on small field R/A games that allowed entering into addon break only gettin the initial BI and addon. This would "print money" just by regging as you would get a comfy 10-15bb stack near the bubble and on some smaller fields almost right into the bubble.

So bunch of dead money by players joining early spending all rebuys and no addon just busting out before the addon. This can sometime create buch of overlay on the tournament so it is just EV+ just to reg in into the addon. Plus you get rakeless usually 3-5 sometimes even 10x stack from addon without spending moeny on any rebuys. Also usually the GTDs are tad bigger on the R/A games. ipoker and ACR atleast have overlay on the small to microstakes R/As if you check into them. Not always but enough often to make them a habit.

here a graph from the last rough 2k games on top FO games and below the R/A games

jkj7tzN.png

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a really great article. I already adhere to a pretty strict rebuy/addon strategy, but it is nice to think about all the strategies and how do defend against other players. I haven't really thought much into reading a player based off their rebuy/addon history. I will definitely integrate information from this article into my game play.