Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Task 3

Well, I´m not a big fan of this kind of tournament but I play
if there isn´t another one to play. Lately I was playing but It was a
long time ago, and I´ve played very tigh because when Im playing this
type of tourney, i usually don´t have money to make re-buy. Yeah I know,
Its sad but Its life hehe. So I play defensively most the time until the Re-buys are off. But I never play a tourney which we can Re-buy till the end of the tournament, even when I play live. I prefer Tourneys without Re-buys because I think It´s more fair and if you lose, you lose.

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live Re-buy Tournaments

I am currently still trying to win my regular live tournament, with some difficulty. It is unlimited re-buy for the first hour ($20 for 32000 chips), 15 min blinds, plus half stack top up for half price at the end of re-buys. There's a part of me that thinks that playing this game isn't profitable but it is the only consistent live game I have and I haven't won it yet so that really motivates me to keep trying.

There are a lot of loose players who overvalue suited hole cards, chase draws to the end no matter what price, will use the super loose re-buy strategy (they are also just coming off of the slot machines and the gambling mentality carries over to the poker). After the re-buy some players keep their super loose play, while others will almost certainly become tighter than a frog's ass. I tried mixing up my strategy last week by trying the super loose strategy myself and played my worst poker yet.

After reading this, I am going to try the Slightly Loose strategy tonight; play more hands with than I usually play, but not dip into the super loose playing. Loose enough to out flop with my speculative hands, and catch nutted hands, but tight enough to not burn money and get caught in big pots with the worst hand. I am also going to do less big bet poker and more small ball because it seems that when people are chasing in this game, they will do so no matter what the price is, and then turn up the aggression as blinds get higher.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i LOVED the $1,10+R 3x turbo on pokerstars. But i quitted playing them at some point because the variance was very high, and you could be in for $20-$40 easily if things didn't work out. Busting before the add-on would be a disaster though. You'd get 3K starting chips, and a 3K rebuy, with unlimited rebuys below a 6K stack. My bankroll wasn't made to be in for $40 in such a high variance tournament therefor i quitted playing them. I think you need to be very carefull selecting rebuy games, because you have to be prepared to keep rebuying till the add-on. You'd miss out on value not taking the add-on. If your bankroll says you can play $5 games, a $5 Rebuy is a lot higher then a $5 freeze-out.

Strategy wise i think you can take more risk and a higher variance approach in the early stage. But i wouldn't go to out of line if the rebuy tournament is deep stack with deep blind levels.

If there is one hand i will never forget its from the 1+R 3x turbo tournament on stars. This was my first ever deep run for a big score. https://www.boomplayer.com/12229453_97D88CB885

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The one bullet strategy is the worst strategy ever, if your not going to Rebuy don’t play rebuys stick to freeze outs. Your putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage. The best strategy for playing rebuys is to play your game and adjust for those playing recklessly. Employing an entirely new strategy will only make you play worse. Setting a limit to the number of times your going to rebuy is also important and sticking to that plan is very important, unless you’re going to rebuy as long as you can but you should decide before you start and not let things that happen during play effect your decision.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This was a well written, thorough article - I have nothing to add!

There is at least one first person sentence:
" I think the best thing to do is play solid, but a little looser than normal and buy as many chips as they will let you."

This should be changed unless the article is given an author credit, and even then...

I am not a veteran of many rebuys, although I have played many RA Tourneys. I'm usually a "One Bullet" kind of guy taking the Add-on only when the conditions are right - as in the article.

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the tournaments a little more loose than normal but neither to the extreme of playing all the hands. with a well-selected hand against the correct rivals we can get to triple or quadruple.

lately I'm using the strategy of a bullet, y me dio buenos resultados, ya que los jugadores loose me dan muchas fichas, I managed to win tikets and tournament tickets with only one bullet.

I do the add on only when the amount of chips obtained is very large or when it is at least 50% of my stack.

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does one always add on in tournaments? Are there situations where you should or shouldn’t?

miric007

miric007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not play re-buy tournaments, I played several times and noticed that almost all players played like donkeys. I think the best re-buy strategy of luck and the pile of money

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
This is our Forum Challenge Discussion for Week 3 in January. All members are encouraged to participate in this thread - even if you are not completing the challenge.

Please read this article and discuss it:

Re-buy Tournament Strategy

When I could play at PokerStars I loved the $5.50 re-buys. In fact I think both of my top 2 online cashes were in re-buys.

I entered every re-buy with the intention of re-buying 2-3 times depending on my situation and always doing the add-on. I liked to take advantage of the reckless play by so many players during the re-buy period.

I guess by some player's standards I should have been willing to re-buy even more - but I know when to cut my losses.

I prefer to play re-buy tournaments with limited sources remained into my BRM!
And so far, I stick to that rule pretty well.
Put in there only last cents, like I have done in 2012 with my last 0,02 USD on Full Tilt - won a sat for Double Deuces and then cashed out 102 USD :D Nice outcome and ROI :p
Well, still putting some efforts on re-buy sats for major tourneys, but really trying to avoid them as could lead to total disaster ... or winning a seat for more buy-in :D

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really need that tips, I never understand how players behaves in rebuys tournaments, a lot of bad players making a bunch of chips...

purple714

purple714

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuys tournaments are great if you are planning on rebuying otherwise they're a waste of time(imo). The add on if available is also important. This is one reason I don't play satellites where you can win an entry to a high dollar tournament. If you don't have the bankroll to play it, don't play it, lol!

Squanchy

Squanchy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments with rebuy

What do you think of these tournaments? I have bad personal experiences, and I will not play them anymore, unless someone tells me that they are not pure chance and there is actually strategy.
I just played all in against a Russian who played 8 out of 10 hands all in, with trash. We went to the flop, he with A3 and I with AQ. The first card of the flop: 3 so good night.
(AQ was the best hand I received in 50 hands, and considering that the tournament was turbo I could not wait any longer). It does not bother me to lose that specific hand, it can happen and it will happen. Nor does it bother me not to have received a pair in 50 hands, it is more than likely. What bothers me is that someone playing so bad (all in 8 out of 10, with trash like I said) can have such good results.

So today I learned: get away from the re buy tournaments, especially if they are turbos and if there are Russians! LOL

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I do not like tournaments with re-buys.

Hackerosito

Hackerosito

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing MTT, but in particular these with repurchase the scrap, is what they call it, the temptation of the devil, but would not consider any of these strategies favorable. I think that MTT with rebuys is to lose money. I, in particular, stop playing them.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do pretty good in micro rebuy tournies. You just adapt the same strategy as a freeroll. It's fairly easy to build a stack with people willing to shove draws early on. Probably a little higher variance but they can be profitable it seems.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In fact, I have one strategy for these tournaments - not to play them :D
Typically, where there is a rebai, there is also an add-on .. which increases the bankroll to rivals or need buy chips.

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to play in tournaments where there are rebuys, since the majority of players go all in with even a small pair, or with various connectors, so for me its bingo!

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I used to play for good money I actually had a grey area tactic. I would wait till the very last round (got good at timing it down to the last hand of the last round). Then I would buy in, get my rebuy in, and then do the addon. So I would actually start with the Addon and 2 rebuys without having played a single hand. Could usually start with somewhat near average stack size. And then it was interesting. The people who were supposedly playing hyper aggressive during the rebuy period would over-compensate and start playing too tight. Something I was much more than happy to take advantage of.

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love rebuy tourneys. I always rebuy at the start and add on. Gotta take advantage of the maniacs and donks.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like the repurchase tournaments much, since there are many fish with money playing like crazy, the prizes are good but the amount of time invested is even more,

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After the re-buy some players keep their super loose play, while others will almost certainly become tighter than a frog's ass.
I don't really want to know this but I'm intrigued.

How do you know the tightness of a frogs ass?:eek:

As for re-buy tournaments, pokerstars had a $3.30+R($20,000gtd) awhile back that I use to love playing, I quit playing rebuys when that was taken away.

If there is a poker site that offers a similar game with similar prize pool, let me know.

R

raymondzav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally would not like to rebuy in any tournament, if it is a really bad beat like AA's vs Any small pocket pair. I give it another try on rebuying. After that I'm done.

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strategies of one bullet. That's what suits me. I had one serious victory for the microlights, in which I used this strategy. These tournaments are good in that rivals easily give their chips, in the period of rebuys.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Once I played satellite with re-buys. And I was a chip leader at the table. Pocket kings beckoned me to play and I doubled the short stack. Then I got AQ and I doubled one more short stack. It ended with the fact that I did not get a ticket that I thought was already won. Though from me it was required only to sit and watch the play of others.

D

Dave Oxford

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya re-buy tournaments are crazy, too many times a horrible player wins.