shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I tend to avoid these tournaments. I will play the occasionally one bullet tournament if it is good value but I find unlimited rebuys to be tedious in the extreme. Just crazy all in action before the rebuy period ends. It is poor value for money.

fabiancampos

fabiancampos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the ideal strategy to play this type of tournaments is to play very tight the first levels, and try to always double with super strong JJ + cards, because really at the beginning of these tournaments many play loose. After finishing the repurchase period, the add on arrives, that's where the start of the tournament really comes from. In the long term it is convenient that you only spend up to 2 rebuys in a tournament of these, in the long term if you only play these you will have a nice return.

B

Brandon morris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone seems against rebuys. I love them. I feel like its really easy in the first hour to triple my stack pretty much every time because of the loose invincible play. The way i always look at them the tourney doesnt really start until the add on break. Then u usually notice the loose play slows am u settle into ur normal rhythm. Ive made all my cashes on the rebuy add on tourneys.

W

wildjoker68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight and try not to rebuy. if you get knocked out, then rebuy in and look for the best place to shove. a good fast double up will set you up to play tight again.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy is never to re-buy, except when repeated entry is made for a ticket. The second exception is a tournament in which it is possible that the players' contributions will not cover the guarantee of the prize. This implies an increased prize, which makes participation in such a tournament more profitable. In all other cases, this is not profitable for your bankroll.

Another thing is addon. The ability to add chips, at some point in the game to strengthen their stack.

Willroquefan

Willroquefan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer no re- buys tourneys because I'm poor and have no conditions to spend money.

kena3000

kena3000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like rebuy tournaments even though they give you another chance to stay still in the game, because most of player become maniacs, now i know there is an strategy and that's what they're doing it.

Everything has pro and con, and these tournaments are not the exception. I like to tell how i've been doing about subjects and i'm doing it again. Last rebuy tournament that i played i make one rebuy because i was doing it right and river took the one of two outs that villain (really loose) needed to win and i was just close to doble up to 40BB.
Well i did get revenge with the rebuy and got my chips back from the same guy and took all his chips. After the rebuy time i had lost some chips but i took an add-on and back to the 45BB.

Everyone started to play more tight and so i did and play for value got 65BB and i really though that i was doing just great.

Now near the bubble i got a monster hand on turn and was commited at the pot. ALL IN. Villain shows a project that is completed at the River. BOOOM OUT OF Tournament.
I managed to play as best as i could and definately but some others played better.

I agree the article about when to rebuy and add-on, but if you are just getting bad beats, because you think you are playing really well, then you will be tempted to rebuy on and on and lose your sigth and your money and maybe lose confident at yourself.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only rebuy turnaments I really played more than a few times were some Rebuy satellites. The Rebuy option is not that bad if you are skilled, as it puts good "fish money" in the prize pool. I just recently read an article on upswing poker about this and they pointed out the truth that you should not be trying to play too aggressively just because you can rebuy. I would like to experience more of these turnaments live, but I have nowhere to play, sadly :/

H

Hondo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the most part the strategies offered were generic and open ended. The article did not deliniate or differentiate the types of re-buy tournaments available. Each which needs it own strategic approach.

Re-buy or "Wheee!!-buy tournaments generally offer larger prize pools than normal freeezeout tournaments with similiar number of entrants. Experienced and serious players look at this as an overlay and consequently the field at the end of the re-buy period is often stonger than on average. Once the re-buy period has ended the game plays much the same as a normal tournament and lesser experienced players fail to adjust gears.

Just because one can rebuy doen't mean you must re-buy. Like making a bet a re-buy should be done for a reason.

A tactic I some times employ is to wait until near the end of the re-buy period before entering the tournament. If the average stack size is within roughly 10% of the number of starting chips I will fire a bullet with the intention of taking the add-on. :burnout:

:jd4:

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another great article with much information to consider for every type of player.

I enjoy rebuy games and was once told that to be successful, always rebuy at the very start of the tournament to maximise your stack size and your relative strength. Always plan to add on, unless of course the add on amount doesn't significantly improve your position at the time.

Subsequent Rebuys should always be made with reference to your bankroll and the amount you are likely to win.

So, I guess I am a triple barrel approach player, but would recommend to everyone else to play a multiple shot game and just play as loose as you like and keep building the tournament prize pool with your buy ins which you are just going to throw away with ATC.

BB

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My best Re-Buy Tournament Strategy is to avoid them at all cost.
I'm not good in that kind of tournament.
The player can go all-in with any kind of cards because they can re-buy.
I play them very, very rarely.
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm not a Re-Buy Tournament fan.
There is no acronym for a LAGTARD gone MANIAC gone INSANELY and COMPLETELY MAD ! :rolleyes:
Maybe - LAGTARDMANIACINSANELYCOMPLETELYMAD? :eek:

In these tournaments the ATC BINGO player feels completely justified to turn all the dogs loose so I seldom bother with them. :icon_tong
Yes they can be profitable by taking many more risks than in a normal tournament, but to me, that's just relying on being much more lucky than normal :dancing2:

Usually there are so many BINGOs willing to rebuy, rebuy, rebuy and rebuy that the game is reduced to just luck and most often, just to see the flop on any hand, it will cost you too much of your chip stack. Even so, I will play some, rebuy some, and if I see a good chance to go deep in the tournament - Add-On. :cool:
But actually I think I'd prefer to enter a All-In Every Hand tournament and let the dealer decide who is to win the tournament :bike:

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rebuy tournaments are great to play. Especially when the rebuy's aren't raked.

However it is important to be willing to survive to the add-on (fire extra rebuys), and to treat the tournament similar to you would a normal freeze-out.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I allow myself a re-buy if I suffer a bad beat or it is just some other unusual anomaly that I should just shake off and re-enter and carry-on as if nothing happened.

Sometimes a new table is a whole new tournament and it is weird and easy - smells fresh - .....it's hard to believe I just busted out.....

On the flipside I have a buddy who always thinks of tournaments in terms of multiple bullets.

He may choose to fire 3 bullets at a tournie that fits his style and calendar.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't the whole state of manic play the best reason to get into a re-buy? So many people donking off their chips couldn't be a better dream scenario. The reason I avoided it was because of ill disciplined tilt control when it severely affected by BRM at one point. But if that can be reigned in, my opinion is that you should be able to get through to the add-on with a really healthy stack without having to apply one.

Plus if you play tighter than you usually do you should be able to exploit that table image when things tighten up right after the add-on, when remaining players start playing regularly again.

A

andreii955

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe

This is our Forum Challenge Discussion for Week 3 in January. All members are encouraged to participate in this thread - even if you are not completing the challenge.

Please read this article and discuss it:

Re-buy Tournament Strategy

When I could play at PokerStars I loved the $5.50 re-buys. In fact I think both of my top 2 online cashes were in re-buys.

I entered every re-buy with the intention of re-buying 2-3 times depending on my situation and always doing the add-on. I liked to take advantage of the reckless play by so many players during the re-buy period.

I guess by some player's standards I should have been willing to re-buy even more - but I know when to cut my losses.
I think that in order to be able to play in rebuy tournaments, you need to allow at least 10 rebuys + ad on, because there are many players who approach a loose game and enter many pots, often happen to win their hand because they have many possibilities, but you can often take advantage of their naivety and take their money. In online poker, in most cases who has more chips wins, for others to bring their money into the tournament, may seem absurd, but that's right, it takes this situation to raise money and cover the guarantor. Of course this over a long period of time for loose players is a disadvantage and must be profiled. By the way , is a very very good article .

drbottlecap10

drbottlecap10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy tournaments are typically not my favorite. I hate add ons, hate that I feel like the field never shrinks, etc. It's always be against the world in those. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, less people typically place in comparison to regular tournaments.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play Re-buy tournaments I usually take 2 Re-buys + 1 add-on to maximise my chances of doubling or something , if I'm against a player who did the same as me and took a re-buy on the beginning if I had an opportunity to double through him I need to make it profitable as much as possible , if I get the double up I will have a 4x starting stack and you can play comfortable then , so all the times I take 3 buy ins.
And it's very useful also in re-buy satelittes

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article. I realize these are good strategies to play the Sunday Storm Sattelites at PS. I think during a tournament like this when you are able to have unlimited rebuys before the late registration ended a good player will know how to combien this tips during the game. For example, I think it is a good idea to play the firshour with the super loose strategy, then play the next hour using the slightly losse strategy and also applying the defense against super losse once you get a big stack. In this tournament it is always a good thing to add on since it is 30.000 more chips against 3000 from regular rebuy, even if you have a big stack 30k it is a good ammount of chips if you really want to reach the final table ;)

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like play rebyus in fact but recently I started to play some at 888 and I feel that such structure of tours suits my style and I hope to make some money on these tournaments.But the specific needs to have in your bankroll few byuinns more cause at rebyu period everybody try to go allin.The result is that we can get money in rebyus but have to hold the rebyu period !!!

Last edited:
DannyWhite

DannyWhite

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In rebuy you should risk more (semi-bluff) betting with draws and be more agressive pre-flop I think you should always raise and give your opponent chance to fold

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First and foremost the re-buys tournaments are not much my style, for that you have to have a good bankroll, they are tournaments where there is a lot of variance and many players that their game is very extreme because at all times they will go all-in and play like this is a lottery, clear depending on the tickets of the tournament, but my advice for those who like it, is to wait for the best hands and have patience and hunt those players who play all-in always with mediocre cards .. the idea is to go up in the first levels and already feel comfortable in the rest of the tournament.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rebuy tournaments are places where players play very loose, so my game plan is to play little tighter, and wait good opportunity to double my stack. In a second I’m in chiplead. That works for me in 80% of time. No need for rebuy or add on.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only poker tournaments I hate is the Re-Buy Tournament, I tried several times to play cheap Re-Buy satellites, I made myself a good stack by knocking out one player from the tournament several times, but he did Re-Buy every time. And played All-in every hand, then he still knocked me out of the tournament ((

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
reckless play sometime's can help you :D for example, if I can rebuy so why not to try double or triple my stack at start? But after that you can loose your doubled or tripled stack same as you get it. Patience is the best advice :)