Pocket JJ, QQ, KK advice with A on Turn

K

kworm2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact,I will do anything in this situation,raise ,check or fold.But overall, I won't put too many chips in it .

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in the SB with JJ

Well, that's the problem. Hooks in the SB ;)

Preflop good
If you perceive her as a calling station who will pay you off with just a Ten then a "blocking" type bet to pot control and simultaneously gain value should be good. If she raises you, you can easily muck and it will be cheaper than calling her turn bet and continuing out of position without knowing where you are at.

Agree with this. The blocking bet sometimes puts a brakes on a calling station, followed by a check/fold if she's that hungry.

Good question. Well played. I appreciate all the insight as well.

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally would have raised a much larger amount once the flop was all under your JJ. I don't like to stick around for the rest of the cards, so I like to make them decide on an all in or fold in that situation. It has worked well for me in the past but of course it is still poker and you can always lose an all in to someone chasing a river card. In your situation, I would have sat with the ace on the board and probably folded to any bet over 5k.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how wide do you generally raise pre here? if we look at an example range pre of give or take 9.5% (88+, ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, AJo+, KQo) we will likely not be cbetting our whole range vs a station

so when we cbet our better hands in our range on this flop, like TT+, ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, AJo+ when we see this turn this hand def isn't the worst part of our range here

you can bet the turn and likely take it down a decent % of the time and or get called by a 10 possibly

If you do 2 barrel here it is hard to justify 3 streets unless you want to turn your hand into a bluff (bad plan vs a station)

please try and think in terms of your ranges thou if this was an opened pot and you 3 bet pre you likely wouldn't be 2 barreling here

it is very important to note this

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say make notes how she plays how much and with what she raised during play and evaluate if she is just trying to fool you to stop watching the game or if she is week player. Than adjust strategy to kick her out.

Myself I dont usually reraise with this pair (if unlucky all guys will fold giving you blinds for free) in even worse case someone with higher pair will call you or maybe even lower and he will hit and than slowplay you and you will loose. I say 2x bet is in order in this case if you hit - you can slowplay, push all in or things like these, but if you dont hit you should just check and avoid the risk of loosing bigger portion of your stack :)

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this was very interesting question for me because I usually overplay JJ and TT and become pot committed

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello
Yesterday i got some sick hand
me: 8-6 h
my rival: A-9

100/200
Cheap stack me: 1500
my rival: 2100

He raise to 400 i call. Flop- A 8 8

okay i think i get him into chips.

turn - 9

and he raise 600 i sayed Ok

and magic A on river

i feeling he got aces and fold i showed him 8 and he showed ace.

that is sick

Pokerscams get me into action and i lost like allways.
Hi, this is a thread about another hand that we are commenting on, if you would like to show us your hand please feel free to make your own thread, yours is offtopic.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation I would likely check the turn, it feels like Villain could have floated you with a number of hands low-mid PPs Ax KQ KJ etc. and if they have the ace your just donating more chips to them....plus they could have called you with AT or A8 in which case your screwed! its indeed a tough spot but againist your villain checking is fine rather than bleeding away chips, however againist other villains you may considering firing to rep the ace...If anything, you got away from this hand cheap :) GL grinding

Last edited:
eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
next time overbet this flop and you 'll have less problems on the river.. ;)

B

Bjjartisan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always go strong most of the time you have the better hand

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
you have to know when to fold
even if you got AA after agg flop is not your way, save your $$ and chips for another round where you can recoup, instead of getting bust

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So that you will have no problem on turn/river, settle it at once on preflop/flop.

T

tomnovember

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am looking for some advice on a situation I faced. The situation was just a little situation, that I am looking for advice on how to otherwise play it.

I have 37K chips blinds are 300/600 and we are 8 handed. A women from middle position limps along with a tight player to her left. The women, from a half hour of play just loves to see flops and rarely folds. I am in the SB with JJ and I raise to 3000. The women calls and the tight player folds. Flop brings 3 8 10 rainbow. I lead out for 3K and the women calls instantly.

Here is where I am looking for advice, as an A hits the Turn. What are the best actions to take.

Thank you

Just bet ~3000 on the turn. If she has AT or above, she will definitely raise you on the turn. Otherwise, if she just call you, bet another 3000 on the river. You may get paid by KT-9T

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
However, maybe we can gear this question towards how to play 10's or JJ pre-flop from the blinds after a few limpers.

Any thoughts!?

A 3bb raise should be fine.But you should be considering a fold against a 3bet or more reraise from the villain.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
consider her chips, if she has left less than the pot just shove and take all risks if she has similar stack than yours or better then is a tough call and you need all info from her (past hands) and try to figure out what she is looking for in this hand, maybe she hit one pair in the flop or maybe waits to finish a project, so no necesarily hold an ace

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread is so great.

I think we all know this situation.

It is frustrating.

History on opponant is the key here.

She could have bluffed you the whole way with a set or being fisher with two small pair.

Or actually waited or that A to come.

This thread is really what we learn from

W

winningpoker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If anyone gets a pair surely he must hav not keep all in .... he wil raise slowly .... if anyone keeps all in while A is inside surely he dosent hav A with him.... It is just like bluffing

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Originally Posted by Tulipaneiro
Hello Yesterday i got some sick hand
me: 8-6 h
my rival: A-9

flop A 8 8 - turn 9 river A.

Repply : Well when I flop 8 on flop and I see A - I dont wait for oponent to hit hard another A and I raise by 4-bet or push all-in - removing mostly oponent choice to call it.. If I wouldn't raise and slowplay him in this situation - he would flop A on river because it is Jokerstars after all :D

Today lost 15 USD and win 16... mostly fullhouse vs fullhouse on river - he gets higher.. also pushed all in with QQ and he had AcKd and he got flush and I got trips... happens.. and it pains a lot... but it is poker afterall ;)

W

wilki88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally would have overbet the flop to give me some comfort as the turn and river come along

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Top pair on turn with rainbow flop means pretty much the woman is drawing dead or is a calling station.

Value bet and extract as much as possible on the last two streets.

Watch out as too high of a bet might scare her off.

M

mikema63

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the decision would be entirely based on the player, would they cbet bluff an ace fairly often? Or are they less likely to bluff and really have the ace.

If you think your beat, your beat. Throw it in (and lament I suppose).

S

shawkid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would take into consideration the chip stack of the loose player. If they want to see flops they could have an open ended straight draw and check call you. I would check the turn and river. The wild players always seem to be the dangerous ones to me.

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so I've disregarded all posts except for the OPs.
Continuation bet on the turn for let's say, 35% of the board... if you get a flat and a danger ( strait or flush filling card comes on the river) check-fold the river. Barring a filler card I think you can value bet the river.
She easily hit 2 pairs on the A but clearly did not make a nut hand here.
These weak passive stations are soooo hard to range it's just not worth putting much equity out there in my esteem.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have pocket jacks one thing you should keep in mind anyone who is holding a queen, king or an ace have a 30% chance to hit the flop and win so i will check the flop if your opponent bet on the flop then we can put a re raise to see how strong her hand is and if they call the hand is all-most over for us as we can not beat anything but a buff.
In this case she can have hands such as Ace 8 ace 10 or even ace 3 i think you played the hand fine and made a good lay down.

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also personally think you should have raised a little more on the flop.
Maybe something like half pot forsure, letting her know you have a monster.
The ace was a killer card for you and I think you did fine check folding there.
However if you speculated that she was a loose player and usually called with anything, then I would use a defensive bet on the turn.
why? you can easily represent a strong ace by betting the turn, and if she raises you then that's it for you on that hand.
I sometimes hero call in these situations and it ends up right for me about 80 percent of the time.