Now I know why I hate freerolls.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who went all in on the first hand with 85 suited? That sounds more like ESPN Poker Club than a Cardschat private tournament!

It also brings up an idea for a new standing thread topic: Nominees for "SuckOut of the Week". Nothing like a good dose of peer pressure to clip the wings on these little maniacs. :tomato:

(Whoops! I just realized that Batista's post for the 85 vs. AA blowup was in another UB freeroll prior to our own. Should have known that one of us would NEVER make such a phresh phish play.)

Last edited:
H

hustle16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im definatly with murph, he seems to play the same tactics as me, and it does work! you just cant let the allin'ers get to you, just wait for your time and pounce, there normally all gone by the first hour anyway, if you take a bad beat . . . . well it happens its poker! theres always more games to go . . . right? unless you all of a sudden lose both your arms in a freak fridge accident? :icon_clow
JoRd

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel for ya Twizzy but do you chase cards often? I mean unless I can check, I wont bet hoping a J is gonna fall for a straight. You might hit it 1/10, if you're lucky and unless you got a big stack to play with, you will go broke real quick.

I NEVER bet all-in pre-flop unless I can get a feel for my opponent. Even bet say 20% of your chip stack, make them pay to see the flop. If they call, they MAY have something, if not they fold, if they raise you can still get out if you want.

Z

zippo38

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ALL-IN'S

I agree with Murph... i like to watch the "crazies" knock themselves out. My goal is to learn and then try to make it to the later rounds. Someday I might just lucky and win one of these things.

P

policy_maker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Allin players usually get beat out early in a tourney. However there was this 1 time i saw a player in a freeroll go allin every hand believe it or not and won the tourney. It was the dumbest thing I have ever seen in poker. People with great hand were getting beat by crap hands. I have never seen that before, but it was pretty funny watching it.

Jesus Lederer

Jesus Lederer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winjammer said:
Jesus,

I disagree with you. If you get outdrawn enough it doesnt matter how skillful you play. And there can be long streaks where you get outdrawn consistently.
If it doesnt happen to you very often then either you havent been playing long or you are luckier than the average player which might be the case. For every super lucky player there is someone else on the other end of the spectrum who has the same luck in reverse. I noticed the phenomena not only by playing but also dealing for many years. Just my opinion though. I could be dead wrong. Just my observation.
Maybe you´re right because i´m a newbie at this (just 1 year) and i don´t have enough experience. I know that bad beats happens a lot, and i know that even if you play a very good poker you´re able to get outdrawn. But i think that if you play consistently a good poker you will have more earnings than loses. If it were all about luck, how some players like Brunson, Hellmuth and Chan have 9 wsop titles? how T.J Cloutier has more than 50 major titles? Maybe i´m wrong, but i think that good poker is rewarded with top places at most of the tournaments.

The Silencer said:
Hey Jesus not disrespect but i am one of those who kinda start to like the game because of television.Belive me not because the players that start from there are bad players .This is simple bad players are just bad players and no matter what there always gonna be bad players around.Actually i wont be playing poker if all the players are great ,so i kinda like the players that come and play badly and if the television is promoting the game for more bad players (fishes) to come then let them come dont you think ?
lol it seems that you dind´t understand me. When i said: "turn off the TV" i was just saying that if you like watching TV while you´re in the computer, you better don´t do it when you´re playing a tourney. That´s because you need to concentrate plenty on the tourney, watching all your opponents moves to see their styles, how much they bet on different situations, etc.
In fact, i also started playing by watching last year´s WSOP on ESPN.

Last edited:
MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If those "all-in" players are following TV, they better beware. Do you think they show all the hands folded and folded and folded???? That would be really boring TV. They only show and edit to the good and exciting hands. Tournaments are hours and hours if not days long so I hope the crazy all-in players you talk about aren't thinking they can mimic TV!

Anyone that goes all in during the first round or two or three or even first 1/2 hour, I just fold even with a good hand (unless I'm short stacked). Flopping to the river is very dangerous at that time and his 7/2 will surely pull 3 7's over you pp KK's. LOL

Patience my friend.

M

MattS05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is key in freerolls....you have to wait out the maniacs...and then when thats over...its time to strike and start playing poker instead of bingo with the idiots

C

ChrisHrobak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I now what you meant someone could have a 2-7 off suit and pick off someone with pocket AA

G

gocubsgo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya usually bad players make it easy for you to make a lot of money.

M

methos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with you

:thumpdown I want to play some poker. And I have to wait out these fools that :banghead:obviously didn't come to play. I can almost understand it as a strategy, take a shot, double or triple up immediately, after all, you aren't exactly losing any money, gives you an edge, start to play. But most of the time these fools just keep doing it until they go out. I want to play. I don't want to waste my time while they guys knock out other people who also wanted to play with bad beats, just so they can get knocked out themselves when they all in with nothing for the 4th time.
And half the time they pull a superiority thing. Hey, it's only a freeroll, I don't care. The prize pool's $1000 bucks, pal. Glad you're so well off. And if you don't care, stop wasting everyone's time!
Now at the rebuys, I dont mind so much. Cause these fools will just keep re buying until the prize pool's tripled up. Dead money I love. But these idiots that come to the freerolls to all in until they get knocked out, that's just..... rude. Don't show up unless you want to play.

L

Loreto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was knocked out the same way yesterday, watcha gonna do? Suck it up and jump into the next one.

Prysm

Prysm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are the equivalent of the lottery. If you expect better play, we should also have touraments that require a buy-in. Some people will never improve their game or are unwilling to improve their game. This includes people on this site. The only answer here is to have a buyin. Ive seen some of the worse players play completely different with as little as $1 on the line....

And Freerolls should only be used to introduce winning skills. It does not build them. To improve poker players game, they need to start playing against other people who under no circumstances be OKAY with losing.

T

Tall Jaye 500

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
FreeRoll Follies

:ridinghor Alas, the "ALL-IN" syndrome of the freeroll. Its spreading quicker than you think. Why??? You ask. There are numerous reasons why people go all-in with bad starting hands, but the main reason is becuase they have misunderstood an aspect of no-limit hold'em. Skilled players use all-ins to protect a hand or to isolate a given player. they also use their skills to bet properly before they have to resort to the all=in tactic. Here are few things that i have nocticed playing in varoius freerolls on different sites.

1) The more advanced players rarely call all-in bets, unless they've got the goods. So the "all-in" player can steal blinds, or gets a call and gets lucky. This lucky play is then mistaken as skill and they all-in until they get crippled(chip wise). Then all-in because they're now short stacked. Vicious cycle I know, but thats the play of the day.

2) Any two cards can win. Heard that before, well good. This is another reason why people go all-in. Poker is a five card game. A good player can create a table image and bluff weaker players out of some pots. This causes the weaker player to go on tilt, and say that they are gonna call everything from this point on. They become suck-out artists, hence the best way to suck someone and not be bluffed off of a pot, and see all the cards is to go all-in. Very simple strategy, key word SIMPLE, as in stupid.

3) They just don't know any better. When they call your pocket Aces with an all-in bet, some think that they have a legitimately strong hand. Or they won a big pot with their 8/5 os at their sister's house game one time. Ask the average poker player what a strong starting hand is(referring Texas Hold'em) and you'll be surprised by the answer that you get back. You'll find a majority of people who prefer a suited AK to pocket Aces.

So the long and short of it is...play tight, play right. Luck is when preparation meets oppurtunity. Be patient, and disciplined and you'll do fine.

145Robster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find the all-iner's probably the most annoying people in the world along with people who own baby on board stickers and chavs.

I know its only a freeroll but I like winning, surely they do too and have to realise at some point they arent doing particularly well with their current tactics.

Although it is amusing when you get one in a re-buy tournament and they've been giving away, then buying up, chips for fun then finally they go all in with the best hand and the flop kicks them in the teeth, now thats what i call justice.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think too many people whine about getting beat by crappy players. If you don't get involved with them they beat themselves. Sure there is luck involved so occasionally those players will suck out a pot, but those occasions are few and far between. Stay above the fray and don't get tangled up in their antics, and you'll do fine. Above all don't whine, suck it up and move on.

R

radbeligion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Online "bad beats" make it hard to call all ins if you're holding KK, QQ, even AA preflop because of the rifraf that go all in with 10/2. I am a live player who recently started playing online and cringe at some of the strange scenerios I've wittnessed. On the other hand, it's hard to play tight or by the book because you're playing against so many styles of players. WHo knows?? Just don't call or go all in unless you have the absolute nuts. (easier said than done, howerer) GREED will always prevail..

K

kaves52

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yea....i agree with u all totally...the stuff online is nothin i have seen playin live poker ppl go all in jus to bust you

M

Mithos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls.

I usually sit back and let everyone go all in while i just wait for a monster :D

Works like a charm.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
redbirds3 said:
i agree that too many people play poker online when they dont know what they are doing
Didn't know what I was doing 16 months ago when I first started playing online. Everybody's got to learn somewhere.

S

sickandtired

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a new player I need to ask if the more experence player is going all-in, to steal my blinds and just scare me out of the better hand because I am playing to tight?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually a more experienced player plays witxh a good hand and bluffs every now and then. The trick is to find out when. When you are in a freeroll, wait for the good cards and the "all-in"ers or stupid players lose quickly. I played a $500 freeroll last night with 864 players. Within the first half hour, half of the players were out. Be patient.:icon_thum

K

Kristin

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a love/hate relationship with freerolls - it is too hard to lay down pocket aces on the first or second hand of a tournament with 3-4 people already all-in yet it has happened three times to me in the last 45 days and yes I lost each time. On the other hand, it sure is rewarding after you get through the crazy's and win a tournament as I believe it is harder to beat 3000+ unpredictible players so I think it is good experience overall.

R

runner428

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls combine a perfect ammount of skill and luck that can really prepare you for the big real money tourneys
conserve at first
accumulate in the middle
strive in the end

freerolls are really great paracice

Freeroll Passwords