*** November MTT thread ***

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
****ing A. Seriously, WTF do I have to do to run well just ****ing once?

25th/~2600 (woot. ****ing. woot.) Back-to-back deep runs, back-to-back heart-breaks. Why could P.Stars just give him JJ+?

pokerstars Game #52522390031: Tournament #329047591, $3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XXXII (7000/14000) - 2010/11/11 6:28:00 PT [2010/11/11 9:28:00 ET]
Table '329047591 138' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: ottovich61 (336657 in chips)
Seat 3: moefpoker (136602 in chips)
Seat 4: Credoiler (159692 in chips)
Seat 5: Emil Bok (827641 in chips)
Seat 6: pitodus (485666 in chips)
Seat 7: Fly.one.82 (272730 in chips)
Seat 8: TRM_SHRiMP (108125 in chips)
Seat 9: Snowball III (93249 in chips)
ottovich61: posts the ante 1750
moefpoker: posts the ante 1750
Credoiler: posts the ante 1750
Emil Bok: posts the ante 1750
pitodus: posts the ante 1750
Fly.one.82: posts the ante 1750
TRM_SHRiMP: posts the ante 1750
Snowball III: posts the ante 1750
pitodus: posts small blind 7000
Fly.one.82: posts big blind 14000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TRM_SHRiMP [Kc Ah]
TRM_SHRiMP: raises 92375 to 106375 and is all-in
Snowball III: folds
ottovich61: folds
moefpoker: folds
Credoiler has timed out
Credoiler: folds
Credoiler is sitting out
Emil Bok: calls 106375
pitodus: folds
Fly.one.82: folds
*** FLOP *** [3c 9d 9c]
TRM_SHRiMP said, "omg hold plz"
*** TURN *** [3c 9d 9c] [Qd]
*** RIVER *** [3c 9d 9c Qd] [7d]
TRM_SHRiMP said, "foajfoifof"
Credoiler has returned
*** SHOW DOWN ***
TRM_SHRiMP: shows [Kc Ah] (a pair of Nines)
Emil Bok: shows [Qh Kh] (two pair, Queens and Nines)
TRM_SHRiMP said, "come on"
Emil Bok collected 247750 from pot
TRM_SHRiMP finished the tournament in 21st place and received $25.58.
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 247750 | Rake 0
Board [3c 9d 9c Qd 7d]
Seat 2: ottovich61 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: moefpoker folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Credoiler folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Emil Bok (button) showed [Qh Kh] and won (247750) with two pair, Queens and Nines
Seat 6: pitodus (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Fly.one.82 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: TRM_SHRiMP showed [Kc Ah] and lost with a pair of Nines
Seat 9: Snowball III folded before Flop (didn't bet)

...It didnt show, but no matter how upset I am at these results, I always say 'NH' and wish everyone 'GL'.

Questions:
...Do I have a right to be upset here or am I just being result oriented?

...Should I be happy for 'getting this far'? Before, getting top 10% was such an accomplishment for me. Now it feels like just another failure. My lack of results make me feel like I'm the worst player on here (CC)...lol.

Last edited:
medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got your chips in with the best of it and got beat...nothing you can do. So, are you being results oriented, yes. Do you have a right to feel the way you do, yes! Sometimes on this site, we look at posts like this like we're robots and are just supposed to be happy that we played right and take out the human element of emotions. It is clear to me that you want to win one of these tournaments badly and while you recognize what you accomplished is an accomplishment, you WANT more. That desire is a good thing if focused in the right direction. When you calm down, take a look at that tournament and try to find holes in your play on specific hands that could help you in future tournaments.

I really relate to this post because I've been feeling the same way lately (so you're not alone) I caught a similar beat in a 180 man SNG and temporarily went bonkers after and lost another 10% of my BR before I smartened up! Now, I could post the situation and I'd be told you got your money in good and why aren't you using proper BR management and you know what? They'd be right BUT we too often ignore our emotional ups and downs. Now, should I have tilted?... in hindsite, NO! However, what I take out of it is at least I recoginized my error and stopped it before it got any worse....and that's a big improvement because a few years ago I'd have blown my whole BR!

Finally, take a step back and look at how many people entered that tournament. If it is a true MTT, you're probably looking at a few thousand people and where did you finish...top 10%...there are plenty of players who'd kill to make runs like that. I know...I've been there. What I see (and assuming you as well) is that its really not THAT hard to get ITM with good solid play and I want more!! Your time will come. (hopefully mine too lol) Think about how many final tables some of the poker pros make at the wsop (all events) vs. how many bracelets they win. I'd be willing to bet the ratio of final tables vs. bracelets is low.

Thanks for making this post; it helped me a lot and hopefully what I posted may help you too.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very nice post. Thank you.

I apologize for being a whiny bitch. I was just venting my frustration.

The most frustrating thing for me (and also the hardest to explain) is that winning an MTT isn't what's most important. It's the feeling of accomplishment in a game that I love/hate to play. It's both the feeling of accomplishment on a personal level and as a member here on this site.

On a personal level, MTT is the game I've studied the most and put the most effort into. I know I've come a long way since I've started playing and I'm constantly improving, but I just haven't had that desired result to tell myself "All of your hard work has finally paid off." I'm at the point where 'close-calls' just don't cut it anymore. A win, unless it's for millions of dollars, will not be life changing but definitely boost my confidence as a player. And as an MTT player, winning is the desired result. Just like cash game players might look to maintain 4-6BB/100 over a big sample size at their stakes or SNG players might try to maintain a 10% ROI for a large sample size.

...Of course, I had the pick the game with the most variance.

As a member of CC, I've been on here since 05 and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything to solidify my place on this forums. I know I probably shouldn't but I compare myself to a lot of other members here and at times it gets to me how far others have advanced and improved and I haven't. Maybe my knowledge and understanding of the game has improved over the years, but I don't have the results to prove it. And that, in turn, makes me question how valuable of a member am I really on this site? Again, it falls back on wanting that sense of accomplishment.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really have to apologize for complaining. I've been doing it quite often and it's really getting old. I often focus on the negatives, but it helps me get over these beats and disappointments. Once I get the frustration out, I can get back to focusing on MTTs.

However, I also know I have a lot to be happy about. A lot of small things that I easily over look when my emotions get in the way of my thinking. So, I wanted to do something different and make a post on the positives of my game instead of the negatives. Maybe I look back at this as personal reminder when the emotions start getting negative.

1. I've been making consistent deep runs and ITM finishes in huge field MTTs.

-I know making ITM in 2.5K+ MTT fields is hard enough. And finishing in the top 10% or better is even harder. To have done this in not only one, but multiple MTTs consistently to build up my BR. I don't cash in every MTT I play, but making deep runs and finishing ITM enough to show a very nice profit.

2. Not only can playing in big field MTTs be challenging, but I also multi-table them (up to 4 at a time). And to top it off, not every MTT is the same format and they don't start at the same time. So, on one table I could playing a 6-max turbo that just started, trying to survive the craziness of a $1 rebuy thats been running for 40 minutes, a deep-stack MTT just hit it's first break, and a 4-max turbo thats nearing the money.

I pride myself in not only being able to play multiple MTTs at once, but to be able to make the adjustments in strategy needed for each different format, at different stages, against different opponents. I'll be the first to admit that I probably have a number of leaks in my MTT game, but I also believe I have a strong understanding of MTTs.

As for MTTs, I really enjoy playing them and sometimes I really hate playing them. I love the thrill of them/hate the frustration that comes with variance. The only thing that keeps me playing is the hope of finally taking home a win (and a nice cash).

While I do enjoy big field MTTs, I think I'll start focusing on MTSNGs. Given my consistent deep runs in big fields and cashes, there should be no reason why I shouldn't be able to crush MTSNGs. I understand the strategy is slightly different, but I know I can make the necessary adjustments to do well. I plan on starting with the $1 90-seat bounty MTTs and seeing how that goes. I eventually want to play the $4 180-seat MTSNGs.

Of course, I'll play a big field MTT every now and then...

Last edited:
crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post. Covers the feelings of alot of us, i think. Reading through it, i know exactly how you feel: Love the MTT's, but havent made a really significant result in any.

But as you point out, making the money in big MTT's often is a good result - and a result that allows for continued efforts on getting that nice win. Thats what i keep telling myself anyway, when another villain hits his two-outer on the river and bust me out...

My thinking is, that as long as i can keep my account rolling without constant re-supplies, i'm doing ok'ish and have potential to move further along.

Let us know how the MTSnG's treats you. Not sure they are for me, but a good example might change that :)

(And as for venting, i guess your method is as good as mine. So far mine has cost me 3 x Razer Naga and a few sore knuckles).

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I do enjoy big field MTTs, I think I'll start focusing on MTSNGs. Given my consistent deep runs in big fields and cashes, there should be no reason why I shouldn't be able to crush MTSNGs. I understand the strategy is slightly different, but I know I can make the necessary adjustments to do well. I plan on starting with the $1 90-seat bounty MTTs and seeing how that goes. I eventually want to play the $4 180-seat MTSNGs.

Of course, I'll play a big field MTT every now and then...
I highly recommend this course of action. I'm sort of going to do the reverse. I've been crushing the smaller MTSNGs lately (the turbo ones) and want to play bigger fields. Obviously it'll take adjustment to my midgame and I'll have to sharpen up my mid-stack play as those spots will be more common, but they seem like something useful to add (even though they're higher variance than the 180s!). I'd say the $2/180s are excellent as are the 45's. I haven't enjoyed the 90's so much though, they load more slowly than 180s/45s and the pay structure isn't my favorite (top 12 is just kinda off for me). Pretty sure PS runs $1/45s too, though I recommend playing turbos at the micro stakes to dodge stupid-high rake.

As for your reaction...it's exactly the reaction you want to be having. I mean, you don't want to just go on tilt and spew off chips, but if you get that close and lose to a vicious suck out you should be deservedly miffed. You need to feel some serious disappointment! Really, if you're not feeling bitter and disappointed you're probably not cut out to play MTT poker. Feeling like you got hosed out of a 1st place run is indication that you're in it with the intention of taking 1st, which is the mindset you need to tackle these things.

It's like how good players take more bad beats. Playing to snag 1st will get you torched in close spots more often than many players, but you'll also have a legitimate chance of winning just about every time you get far.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why can't I edit posts on this forum half the time? It's weird...anyway, MTT's, you gotta love 'em :D

daily $40 grand said:
Poker Stars $10+$1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 9 players - View hand 1022844
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: t2140 107 BBs
UTG+1: t3030 151.50 BBs
UTG+2: t4200 210 BBs
MP1: t2120 106 BBs
MP2: t2690 134.50 BBs
CO: t3720 186 BBs
BTN: t2850 142.50 BBs
SB: t3100 155 BBs
Hero (BB): t2700 135 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BB with 5
diamond.gif
diamond.gif

UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, 1 fold, MP1 calls t20, 2 folds, BTN calls t20, SB calls t10, Hero checks

Flop: (t120) Q
diamond.gif
diamond.gif
diamond.gif
(6 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t120, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t120, MP1 calls t120, BTN folds, SB folds

Turn: (t480) 9
heart.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets t480, UTG+1 raises to t1000, MP1 calls t1000, Hero raises to t2560 all in, UTG+1 raises to t2890 all in, MP1 calls t980 all in

River: (t7580) 2
spade.gif
(3 players - 3 are all in)

Final Pot: t7580
UTG+1 shows 9
club.gif
diamond.gif
(a full house, Nines full of Deuces)
MP1 shows A
diamond.gif
heart.gif
(three of a kind, Deuces)
Hero shows 5
diamond.gif
diamond.gif
(a flush, Queen high)
UTG+1 wins t1160
UTG+1 wins t6420
This was only the 6th hand I saw (was about 1min late to reg).

I seriously doubt I can get the A-high draw to fold, but what do you think about a 'C/R->bet/shove the turn' line compared to the one I took(value/value/value)? I'm not sure if the added FE/value from a c/r is worth the potential of a free turn.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^ you can only edit your post a half hour after you made it i believe

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another deep run in an MTT, but not deep enough. Finished 20th in a $4 MTT for a little over ~$20 in profit. Shoved 27s in Blind vs Blind (was down to 7 BBs after a beat). I was super short and figured I might be able to pick up the pot uncontested or at worst be a 40/60 with live cards. BB woke up with AKo and rivered an A after I flopped a 7.

If I could cash-out sklansky bucks, I'd probably be loaded. It's crazy how many beats I take and how bad I run sometimes in these games. I build my stack, get my money in good and lose. Then it's back to grinding it and rebuilding, while others run so good sometimes.

I saw a player who was sitting on super short stack (about 4 BBs) double up so many times in the course of about 20 hands and go from super short to top 5 chip leaders. And I can barely get my stack into the average zone. Some people run so well sometimes, but I guess thats how the game goes. It's impossible to control the luck factor in these games and there always has to be a winner and a loser.

Anyway...I'm thinking about writing an MTT guide. Unless that just sounds silly...

I know I don't have the best results and we probably have a dozen guides floating around (and by better players) but maybe I can put my own spin on things. I may not have solid results, but I have tons of experience in micro-stakes MTT...

It's just a thought and I probably wont do it, but it's still a thought...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rounding off the night with another cash...min cash, though for ~$5 in profit.

Not bad considering joined a turbo MTT right before late buy-in period ended. Blinds at 100/200 + ante and starting stack is 3K. A bit risky there but I think buying-in late can be profitable...if you run well enough.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep trying philthy...you'll get there man...you're obv going deep continuously so it's all in a matter of time!

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rounding off the night with another cash...min cash, though for ~$5 in profit.

Not bad considering joined a turbo MTT right before late buy-in period ended. Blinds at 100/200 + ante and starting stack is 3K. A bit risky there but I think buying-in late can be profitable...if you run well enough.

like KC said, it'll come soon. Just keep making correct decisions, one day the flips will fall your way and you'll make that final table.

After that though, it's a totally different game, lol.

crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres some strange dynamics in the micro MTT's. Mostly due to the low cost, but also because its where people learn, i think. (+EV plays in the weirdest situations). If you can capture some of that and make sort of a Nutters Guide to the Microes, it would be well worth reading.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theres some strange dynamics in the micro MTT's. Mostly due to the low cost, but also because its where people learn, i think. (+EV plays in the weirdest situations). If you can capture some of that and make sort of a Nutters Guide to the Microes, it would be well worth reading.
Yeah, I think the dynamics of micro games have to approached a bit differently than slightly larger buy-in MTTs. I believe, given how big micro MTTs can get and how willingly more players will gamble at spots, makes it a very difficult game to do well in consistently if you don't adjust accordingly. Maybe that's what I'll focus on.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ty god run bad is over, took first about 5 min ago on UB with some left over monies....25$, BI 2k GTD, 700$ 1st prize...low but makes me feel better!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We might be getting some USA COOP satellite tickets that we can give away in a freeroll. It will be short notice for this weekend so stay tuned if you are interested. I will link the thread in here if it happens.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We might be getting some USA COOP satellite tickets that we can give away in a freeroll. It will be short notice for this weekend so stay tuned if you are interested. I will link the thread in here if it happens.

pretty cool, let us know!! Although the weekends I work, but we'll see!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously, PokerStars?

PokerStars Game #52931630102: Tournament #333091050, $2.00+$0.20 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level X (300/600) - 2010/11/19 3:37:33 PT [2010/11/19 6:37:33 ET]
Table '333091050 7' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: TRM_SHRiMP (5775 in chips)
Seat 3: klaas331 (20209 in chips)
Seat 4: galactic2000 (5715 in chips)
Seat 5: sativa666628 (5928 in chips)
Seat 6: Gerceg666 (9554 in chips)
Seat 7: tonymahoony (10282 in chips)
Seat 8: ringoo1973 (6177 in chips)
Seat 9: II ZODAC II (1665 in chips)
TRM_SHRiMP: posts the ante 50
klaas331: posts the ante 50
galactic2000: posts the ante 50
sativa666628: posts the ante 50
Gerceg666: posts the ante 50
tonymahoony: posts the ante 50
ringoo1973: posts the ante 50
II ZODAC II: posts the ante 50
TRM_SHRiMP: posts small blind 300
klaas331: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TRM_SHRiMP [Kc As]
galactic2000: folds
sativa666628: folds
Gerceg666: raises 600 to 1200
tonymahoony: calls 1200
ringoo1973: folds
II ZODAC II: folds
TRM_SHRiMP: raises 4525 to 5725 and is all-in
klaas331: folds
Gerceg666: calls 4525
tonymahoony: folds
*** FLOP *** [Jd Ts Jc]
*** TURN *** [Jd Ts Jc] [9c]
*** RIVER *** [Jd Ts Jc 9c] [Ks]
TRM_SHRiMP said, "QQQQ"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
TRM_SHRiMP: shows [Kc As] (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
Gerceg666: shows [Qc Ah] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
TRM_SHRiMP said, "NOOOOOOOOOO"
Gerceg666 collected 13650 from pot
TRM_SHRiMP finished the tournament in 31st place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 13650 | Rake 0
Board [Jd Ts Jc 9c Ks]
Seat 1: TRM_SHRiMP (small blind) showed [Kc As] and lost with two pair, Kings and Jacks
Seat 3: klaas331 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: galactic2000 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: sativa666628 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Gerceg666 showed [Qc Ah] and won (13650) with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 7: tonymahoony folded before Flop
Seat 8: ringoo1973 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: II ZODAC II (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ty god run bad is over, took first about 5 min ago on Ultimatebet with some left over monies....25$, BI 2k GTD, 700$ 1st prize...low but makes me feel better!

Congrats on this.Hope for you you'll continue.
I'm kind of in the same spot.
On Stars running so terribly bad this month.
Sometimes due to a lack of concentration, but there are tournaments I got the feeling I play the best I can and got those beats like philthy shows.
On the other hand, the 2nd one I played on Titan this month was a 109 $ buy-in and finished second.
HU I've got the guy AI twice.
First time he survived due to 4 spades on the board which made his flush, second time, while holding AJ to his A4 ofcourse a 4 fell on the turn.
Glad with the 2nd place finish though.
Sure hope the 2nd half of the month will be good on Stars.

Gl and best play to all of you.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey KC, didn't you write a guide for 90/180 seat SNGs?

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played the FT daily dollar R/A on wednesday because I was bored and Bianca was out with Elias so no distractions ;) .

After 7 hours of playing I finished 43rd of 5700 for a whooping 31$ win.:p

Last hand AA<KJo aipf for 380K chips booooo, lol.

It was almost 4am as I went out - then I remembered why I stopped playing these DD donkfests.... had to work at 7:30 meh.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey KC, didn't you write a guide for 90/180 seat SNGs?

I have a feeling I did but don't remember. I do remember killing the 4.40$+ 180 mans on PS though wayyyy back....ever since i found rush i obv play the 135 mans on FT....Ill have to look around...it might have just been the kc strategy but thats too outdated imo

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sums up my tournaments tonite

poker stars $5.00+$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds + t25 - 9 players

UTG+2: t7450 M = 14.19
Hero (MP1): t11456 M = 21.82
MP2: t3878 M = 7.39
CO: t3965 M = 7.55
BTN: t20297 M = 38.66
SB: t7315 M = 13.93
BB: t7492 M = 14.27
UTG: t13431 M = 25.58
UTG+1: t9536 M = 18.16

Pre Flop: (t525) Hero is MP1 with A:club: A:heart:
UTG raises to t600, UTG+1 calls t600, 1 fold, Hero raises to t3000, 5 folds, UTG raises to t13406 all in, 1 fold, Hero calls t8431 all in

Flop: (t23987) 4:diamond: K:club: K:spade: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Turn: (t23987) 2:heart: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t23987) 9:heart: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t23987
Hero shows A:club: A:heart: (two pair, Aces and Kings)
UTG shows K:diamond: K:heart: (four of a kind, Kings)
UTG wins t23987

Poker Stars $10+$1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds + t25 - 9 players

UTG+1: t13370 M = 19.81
UTG+2: t4762 M = 7.05
MP1: t312 M = 0.46
MP2: t9663 M = 14.32
CO: t25806 M = 38.23
Hero (BTN): t3322 M = 4.92
SB: t12744 M = 18.88
BB: t12035 M = 17.83
UTG: t5179 M = 7.67

Pre Flop: (t675) Hero is BTN with J:heart: T:heart:
6 folds, Hero raises to t3297 all in, SB raises to t12719 all in, BB calls t11710 all in

Flop: (t27542) 5:diamond: 7:heart: 8:club: (3 players - 3 are all in)

Turn: (t27542) 8:spade: (3 players - 3 are all in)

River: (t27542) 3:heart: (3 players - 3 are all in)

Final Pot: t27542
Hero shows J:heart: T:heart: (a pair of Eights)
SB shows J:diamond: J:spade: (two pair, Jacks and Eights)
BB shows A:club: A:diamond: (two pair, Aces and Eights)
BB wins t17426
BB wins t10116