not having patience in tournaments

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iv been playing poker online for 3 years now, but i always lose money or tournaments because of my patience.
i cannot stay hours and hours just folding hands , so i just sometimes raise and all in hands i should not. please if anyone knows how to help my self improve thank you

B

Boudica

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
iv been playing poker online for 3 years now, but i always lose money or tournaments because of my patience.
i cannot stay hours and hours just folding hands , so i just sometimes raise and all in hands i should not. please if anyone knows how to help my self improve thank you

It does take a special mindset to play poker, especially tournaments, maybe tournaments are not for you...Maybe you should switch to sngs, or cash, and see if that works better for you.

That said, I find that meditation and deep breathing works well, and is a good thing to do on breaks, and of course before starting your sessions.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello ! It also happens to me to get bored in too long tournaments where patience is essential to achieve good results. That's why I almost always play the low late registration games, where if you're lucky enough to win a couple of hands you have a chance of getting into the cash bubble with no problem. Greetings, I hope it helps you

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're focused on one MTT (recommended) then just do something else while playing. Stream an old show or movie (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or whatever. Even old hockey games work) that you've seen before but could still enjoy. It will hold enough of your attention while you're not in a hand, but also won't captivate you so you don't notice table trends, soft players or aggressive nut jobs you can take advantage of at chosen times.

Remember, an MTT is hours of play if you're in from the start. The super late reg crap going on lately is an option if you want to try cherry picking from short field guarantees, but still can take awhile if you want to actually win them.

Once you're in the money, i'd recommend paying more attention to the tables than anything else, but this will help you survive till you get there! Also, stick to your game plan and don't make those "outside your box" moves unless you really have a handle on the table and can get away with it.:D

M

Memphis legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson once said, "the object of poker isn't to win but, to make the best decision possible." That said he also preached, when making a decision, to take emotion out of the equation... No steaming, or giving up, or playing on hurt feelings, i.e. "woe is me". All I can suggest is to take your emotions outta your decision making. Being bored is an emotion. If long tournaments get to you, try "fast" tournaments. setups where the blinds go up every 10, or 20 minutes.. Good luck.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like tournaments are just not the type of poker game you're best suited for. If tournaments are just not for you, stick to cash games. They may better fit your skillset and ability to stay on top of your game.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
agree just play cash games, mtt's are not for you

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don’t want to multi table much, sometimes just having one other cheap or free game or micro stake cash table going on the side will stop you from getting bored in the big game
I find I usually do better when I have many tables, I just play with math and odds, and not worry about figuring player styles, bluffing, boredom…

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, if you find it difficult to maintain focus and discipline for several hours in a row, then maybe try other game formats than MTTs. A 9-man SnG is still a tournament, but depending on the structure it typically only last something like 45-90 minutes at most, and after a while the action gets shorthanded and therefore much faster.

Another option is to multitable. If I only play a single MTT, I certainly also get bored, unless its a deep run, and I am near or at the final table. Going through maybe 4 hours of 8-9 handed action leading up to the bubble, where the MTT might only deal something like 40 hands per hour, because people are often painfully slow, is certainly not something, I want to do without having other tables to focus on.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to accept patience as part of your victory over your opponents, make a game plan before the session and stick to it, analyze your game and the game of your opponents after the session.