Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
true, should I change the title to short deck I could get more replies lol :oops:

the screenshot looks like GGPOKER .

obviously, some places 3 of a kind beats a straight in short deck.
house rules are king of the hill, just like a home game the house can change any rule.
wonder why we have no wild card games lol, dueces and one-eyed jacks are wild was fun in my day. :unsure:
Everything is possible in Cardschat. You just need to ask.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Ok can we have a HORSE series :cool:(y)..
Why not? And in 2019 and 2020, and in 2021 and in February 2022, Cardschat held a Decathlon series, which included HORSE. 😉
Ask and receive.😇

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yes and thank you.
I actually understand the game very well
but that doesn't play well against someone who doesn't. :oops:
I woiuld love to hear your thoughts on the game and also
what you think the difference in 4 players verses 6 players makes?

Thank you for posting this Tammy.

Unfortunately I didn't get any real tips & tricks from it.

AA is still the best starting hand? Ok.

Aggression is good? I'm probably the only player that folds preflop in Royal.....
Ohh, I see what you guys mean now. Honestly, I don't know that I've played a game. Maybe back in the very very beginning. I'll have to jump in on the next one if I can to get a feel for it.

Do you all like the game?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ohh, I see what you guys mean now. Honestly, I don't know that I've played a game. Maybe back in the very very beginning. I'll have to jump in on the next one if I can to get a feel for it.

I believe that every poker variant requires the use of different poker muscles.

So, I like variety.

But I think that Jay's question about how to best play this variant has led to a conclusion by the thread that there is more luck involved in Royal because of the extreme variance.

If I had to say yes or no - I would vote that I do not like the game. But that is also a reflection of the lack of success I have had in it. So, I might like it more if I won three games in a row.

What do others think?

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

it generates a lot of action but mostly from those who don't realize what cards may be coming,
there are only 5 cards left in the deck for the turn and river and each one from 10 thru A.

I like the game but would much rather play one of the other variants that are more likely
to be played somewhere besides Replay.

I hope Masha was correct about her assumption that a decathlon may be due :giggle:

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
do you have a clue on a decent strategy? I don't and I haven't seen many who seem to even understand the game period.
and we play it twice a month in special events. we have nonstop AIs but not something I would do even with aces.
I don't even like calling an AI with aces although they are the best hand preflop.
every single one of the six players has two cards 10 or better and all three of the flop will be 10 or better and the same with the turn and river.
20 cards total : 2 each to 6 players =12 + 3 on the flop, (15 of the 20 out) and two more to come. total 17 out 20 used every deal.
a full house is almost always going to hit by the river and everyone thinks they have a monster with a broadway straight.

:as4::ac4::ad4::ah4::ks4::kc4::kh4::kd4::qs4::qc4::qh4::qd4::js4::jc4::jh4::jd4::10s4::10c4::10h4::10d4:

Do you call any two pre-flop? the flop turn and river are very limited coming from only 8 cards left in the deck.
what are some of your thoughts?
I actually understand the game very well
but that doesn't play well against someone who doesn't. :oops:

As I have said elsewhere, NL Royal is one of my least favoured variants, because I seem to spend most of the game trying to stay out of trouble. No fun in that.

I agree, it's very difficult playing against someone who does not understand the game. And I'm not saying that I understand it, because I have had my AA run down by JT or QJ more times than I can remember. I would have thought that JT and QJ, followed closely by TT, the worst starting hands in NL Royal. But what do I know.

If it was played as a fixed limit game, I'm sure the cream would rise to the top.

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
do you have a clue on a decent strategy? I don't and I haven't seen many who seem to even understand the game period.
and we play it twice a month in special events. we have nonstop AIs but not something I would do even with aces.
I don't even like calling an AI with aces although they are the best hand preflop.
every single one of the six players has two cards 10 or better and all three of the flop will be 10 or better and the same with the turn and river.
20 cards total : 2 each to 6 players =12 + 3 on the flop, (15 of the 20 out) and two more to come. total 17 out 20 used every deal.
a full house is almost always going to hit by the river and everyone thinks they have a monster with a broadway straight.

:as4::ac4::ad4::ah4::ks4::kc4::kh4::kd4::qs4::qc4::qh4::qd4::js4::jc4::jh4::jd4::10s4::10c4::10h4::10d4:

Do you call any two pre-flop? the flop turn and river are very limited coming from only 8 cards left in the deck.
what are some of your thoughts?
I'm pretty sure you have explained the strategy that most if not all freebee low risk players will take in this game :unsure:
This game is called "Royal" - do they know the odds of hitting a Royal Flush in this game? (The only flush BTW)
And do they care? :poop:

Here is a clue - In your profile at Replay Poker in your “levels”, or “achievements” or your “best hands” you will not get credit for a Royal Flush if you got it in Royal Hold'em :sick:

I've only played the two recent CC games @ Replay - my total "Royal" experience so I surely do not claim to be knowledgeable about this game o_O
But from what I've seen - In a low to no risk Royal game the 'strategy of most will be shove it. :censored:

Looks to be another "get your all in fix" game (IMHO)

Last edited:
jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I have said elsewhere, NL Royal is one of my least favoured variants, because I seem to spend most of the game trying to stay out of trouble. No fun in that.

I agree, it's very difficult playing against someone who does not understand the game. And I'm not saying that I understand it, because I have had my AA run down by JT or QJ more times than I can remember. I would have thought that JT and QJ, followed closely by TT, the worst starting hands in NL Royal. But what do I know.

If it was played as a fixed limit game, I'm sure the cream would rise to the top.
yes those are terrible starting hands unless suited for a possible royal but everything depends on flop, with just high cards coming they could easily hit four of a kind or at least a full house although probably a lesser one than else.
if we keep this game that sounds like something we should definitely try :D
I'm pretty sure you have explained the strategy that most if not all freebee low risk players will take in this game :unsure:
This game is called "Royal" - do they know the odds of hitting a Royal Flush in this game? (The only flush BTW)
And do they care? :poop:

Here is a clue - In your profile at Replay Poker in your “levels”, or “achievements” or your “best hands” you will not get credit for a Royal Flush if you got it in Royal Hold'em :sick:

I've only played the two recent CC games @ Replay - my total "Royal" experience so I surely do not claim to be knowledgeable about this game o_O
But from what I've seen - In a low to no risk Royal game the 'strategy of most will be shove it. :censored:

Looks to be another "get your all in fix" game (IMHO)
like you said our games are no risk so many dummies will shove regardless of what the game is, but as stated most play a hold-em style.
if they understood the game I don't think there would be much shoving before the flop, and after the flop when they hit a straight they
don't realize that it will most likely be beaten by the river.
I wish we could see a few games with all cards exposed so more could really understand what the odds are.

but no matter what these opinions are very helpful. thank you both :cool:

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like Royal Hold'em. This is one of the most enjoyable disciplines. Despite the fact that I rarely participate in Cardschat events, I managed to win a couple of prizes thanks to a successful game of Royal Hold'em. Strict play brings results in the multi pot. No need to count on a serious pot with some combinations. For example, straight on the river often creates a split pot. And if you collected it before the river, then expect problems.
I would recommend that new players at least familiarize themselves with the rules before playing in the Replay Poker room.
The more opponents play with any cards, the better for tight players.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ribby had something, horse or 8 game but anyway it took 6 hours.

just come play the decathlon, I'll train you as we go :ROFLMAO:
I think the polite thing to say is, "Thank you!" ?? LOL

I am often told I can use training!

But to get back to Masha's post about the "training" practice games - they are now on the Homegame Tab in poker stars.

So anybody - including myself can play.....and today I came in 2nd in Horse! lol

Was good to get my feet wet.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the polite thing to say is, "Thank you!" ?? LOL

I am often told I can use training!

But to get back to Masha's post about the "training" practice games - they are now on the Homegame Tab in Poker Stars.

So anybody - including myself can play.....and today I came in 2nd in Horse! lol

Was good to get my feet wet.
2nd is an excellent finish. you must be Canadian eh?
in American home games, you would have to already be a club member to see any games offered.
horse game sun ;) and Royal at Replay.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2nd is an excellent finish. you must be Canadian eh?
in American home games, you would have to already be a club member to see any games offered.
horse game sun ;) and Royal at Replay.
Just so everybody knows - Masha's link to the practice games are in PokerStars Homegame section and are open to everyone.

Thanks for the compliment - but I just got lucky coming in 2nd!

Horse on Sunday - yay!

Royal also?? I guess I can pinch my nose as I call shoves preflop! Sigh.......

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just so everybody knows - Masha's link to the practice games are in PokerStars Homegame section and are open to everyone.

Thanks for the compliment - but I just got lucky coming in 2nd!

Horse on Sunday - yay!

Royal also?? I guess I can pinch my nose as I call shoves preflop! Sigh.......
just so everyone knows- the games are available only to those who have joined his homegame club.

yup, any two cards can win, 8 cards left in the deck for the flop, turn, and river.
17 of the twenty cards are in play by the end.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
.... I played the 6max version of this today, it was an entire game of being stuck on the same table with the same guy going all in pre every hand... naturally he won the game so congrats, I think the next time I decide to play this game I'm just going to stick a fork in my ear instead👍