• We would love to hear your thoughts! Click here to take a short survey on your CardsChat experience: Rate Your CardsChat Experience

Forum members receive 10 VIP Chips for participating (follow instructions on form).

NL Royal Poker

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do you have a clue on a decent strategy? I don't and I haven't seen many who seem to even understand the game period.
and we play it twice a month in special events. we have nonstop AIs but not something I would do even with aces.
I don't even like calling an AI with aces although they are the best hand preflop.
every single one of the six players has two cards 10 or better and all three of the flop will be 10 or better and the same with the turn and river.
20 cards total : 2 each to 6 players =12 + 3 on the flop, (15 of the 20 out) and two more to come. total 17 out 20 used every deal.
a full house is almost always going to hit by the river and everyone thinks they have a monster with a broadway straight.

:as4::ac4::ad4::ah4::ks4::kc4::kh4::kd4::qs4::qc4::qh4::qd4::js4::jc4::jh4::jd4::10s4::10c4::10h4::10d4:

Do you call any two pre-flop? the flop turn and river are very limited coming from only 8 cards left in the deck.
what are some of your thoughts?

Last edited:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO this game has very high variance due to the limited number of outcomes.

I question if one pair is the correct starting hand in this game. Perhaps KQ or QJ suited is actually ahead of AA preflop.

One pair is nothing in this game. Full houses or better is required.

Here's a question : do the Short Deck rules apply to Royal? ie. trips beat a straight, etc.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think the only hands you can bother raising are AA, KK, and QQ... as you say the winning hand is generally going to be a boat so you want to be in position for top boat. I've played this a few times and done well with letting others bet weak hands... people who bet straights or chase royals that never come... I don't know why it's considered a special event game, it's a boring game with very little strategy in my opinion so I just skip it now lol

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To be totally honest I've never played this variant before...

At a glance it looks like a crapshoot.

However I can see how it would be a fun one though!

There are two games of this a month in special events? Going to have a rummage in the Special Events treasure chest now...

😙🎵🎶

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO this game has very high variance due to the limited number of outcomes.

I question if one pair is the correct starting hand in this game. Perhaps KQ or QJ suited is actually ahead of AA preflop.

One pair is nothing in this game. Full houses or better is required.

Here's a question : do the Short Deck rules apply to Royal? ie. trips beat a straight, etc.
no. ;) regular holdem rules but it is pretty hard to end up with trips, if you didn't hit an FH you would make a straight.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be totally honest I've never played this variant before...

At a glance it looks like a crapshoot.

However I can see how it would be a fun one though!

There are two games of this a month in special events? Going to have a rummage in the Special Events treasure chest now...

😙🎵🎶
why haven't you rummaged through the special events treasure chest before? o_O
never having played it plus being a luckbox you would dominate this game. :giggle:
those that have no clue end up doing pretty well in this game with the same
aggression used in Holdem, although not recommended.
preflop everyone thinks they have a nice hand and do. they just don't realize everyone else does too.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
why haven't you rummaged through the special events treasure chest before? o_O
Dip the odd squirrel toe in the special events treasure chest on occasion obviously, it's simply that the CardsChat tree is a sprawling* mighty oak, and before you is just one very small (and sedentary) squirrel.

Coupled with that, over the last X years I've needed to put in a lot of volume and the amount of time I've been able and willing to commit to yet more poker outside and above regular schedules has varied widely with the ebb and flow of the tides of life...

never having played it plus being a luckbox you would dominate this game. :giggle:
Hopefully you are right..! 😜

those that have no clue end up doing pretty well in this game with the same
aggression used in Holdem, although not recommended.
This has seemed to be the case for me when playing the various mixed and draw games recently... I'd never played most of them before, had skimmed the most basic of rules/strategy guides but seemed to do really rather well despite being completely oblivious of any and all subtleties...

Beginners' luck really is a thing, eh!? 😇

preflop everyone thinks they have a nice hand and do. they just don't realize everyone else does too.
= crapshoot. :)

*Definitely don't mean this in the messy sense, just that it is large and ever-growing... :giggle:

Last edited:
jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well 4 man royal was a little different. it meant the dummies raising all in with their straight
had a better chance of winning it with only 13 of the 20 cards used. (4 fewer cards)
still, most played it like it was holdem with no real clue to the difference.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Do you call any two pre-flop?
Are you still asking? 😱
Of course I will! And even in regular hold'em: because I'm a passive limper and that's my style🤣 (at least that's what some mammoths say...)

Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Frankly that's the only variance I don't like. No strategy is a winner in my view. Only luck.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you still asking? 😱
Of course I will! And even in regular hold'em: because I'm a passive limper and that's my style🤣 (at least that's what some mammoths say...)
thank you for your reply but they may be peeing in your ear and telling you it's raining. :oops:
your doctor says you don't have a passive bone in your body and I concur :giggle:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well 4 man royal was a little different. it meant the dummies raising all in with their straight had a better chance of winning it with only 13 of the 20 cards used. (4 fewer cards)
still, most played it like it was holdem with no real clue to the difference.
Last time I played I saw quads several times. And of course lots of full houses. Took me a few minutes to realize I was playing Royal...lol By the time I realized it half my starting stack was gone. And I never stopped hemorrhaging chips.
Frankly that's the only variance I don't like. No strategy is a winner in my view. Only luck.
Ya - this is the problem with NL Royal. Just choose a hand to go with and hope you get lucky and not un-lucky.
Do you call any two pre-flop?
Any two? JTo is the worst starting hand in this game.

And don't forget that you're 4-handed.

And of course - there is a big difference between pushing with any two or calling any two preflop.

So, if you get aggressive w JTo - do you have fold equity vs villain's AT preflop?

Last edited:
jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last time I played I saw quads several times. And of course lots of full houses. Took me a few minutes to realize I was playing Royal...lol By the time I realized it half my starting stack was gone. And I never stopped hemorrhaging chips.

Ya - this is the problem with NL Royal. Just choose a hand to go with and hope you get lucky and not un-lucky.

Any two? JTo is the worst starting hand in this game.

And don't forget that you're 4-handed.

And of course - there is a big difference between pushing with any two or calling any two preflop.

So, if you get aggressive w JTo - do you have fold equity vs villain's AT preflop?
I have done that a few times when we first started playing the game but now when I think to myself
hey, I'm getting really decent hands it's like snap we are playing royal.

J10o isn't a very good hand unless you flop at least two pairs and have that shot for a boat,
straights rarely win it unless a few people have one too.
the normal way with 6 hands almost all the cards are used and knowing what cards are coming with only 5 different cards
available in different suits is way easy to read the board, and literally, the turn and the river come from the last 5 cards.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Um trips don't beat a straight in short deck.
Only hands whose value is changed is flush and full house making flush the better hand .

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Um trips don't beat a straight in short deck.
Only hands whose value is changed is flush and full house making flush the better hand .
It depends where you play short deck.

Always check the house rules.

When trips does beat a straight - and there are trips on the board - then a straight is no good and you must consider your opponent's hole cards.

If you correctly put your opponent on a straight with his Jx - then your Ax is superior with the trips on board and you can felt them in NL Short or get another Big Bet of value in limit.

It's a dangerous situation because your opponent can always flop trips and you are drawing dead or close to dead on the flop.

Last edited:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have done that a few times when we first started playing the game but now when I think to myself
hey, I'm getting really decent hands it's like snap we are playing royal.
My situation was - OMG everybody is getting good hands except me!! ROTF
J10o isn't a very good hand unless you flop at least two pairs and have that shot for a boat
Well there you go....this is true of almost ATC in Royal!

G0930

G0930

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
It depends where you play short deck.

Always check the house rules.

When trips does beat a straight - and there are trips on the board - then a straight is no good and you must consider your opponent's hole cards.

If you correctly put your opponent on a straight with his Jx - then your Ax is superior with the trips on board and you can felt them in NL Short or get another Big Bet of value in limit.

It's a dangerous situation because your opponent can always flop trips and you are drawing dead or close to dead on the flop.
I never saw any short deck game where trips beat a straight .
House rules normally don't change the rules of a poker variant.
House rules are not game rules .

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not trying to argue with you.

I am telling you there are different rules for this particular poker variant, Short Deck.

That was the nature of my question about Royal.

House rules are absolutely the game rules in that room or on that particular platform.

My friend - you should absolutely confirm the rules for Short Deck when you play at a new place.

Clearly - if trips beats a straight - then that would be a rule you would want to know about. And adjust to and exploit.

ACR used to have short deck. Trips beat a straight. And I'm sure support was fatigued by complaints! It was great while it lasted!

Good luck !

Last edited:
Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
The set is stronger than a straight in hold'em 6+ with a deck of 36 cards and flush is stronger than full house.
20230320 114027

About half a year ago, a community member got into a situation where he had a full house, and he could not understand why he lost the flush combinations (even attached a screenshot).

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The set is stronger than a straight in hold'em 6+ with a deck of 36 cards and flush is stronger than full house.
View attachment 327219

About half a year ago, a community member got into a situation where he had a full house, and he could not understand why he lost the flush combinations (even attached a screenshot).
What poker site or platform are those rules from?

And for clarification - not just a set - but any trips.

Last edited:
Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
What poker site or platform are those rules from?

And just for clarification - not just a set - but any trips.
Do you mean, what platform did our community member play on?

G0930

G0930

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
View attachment 327219

That's weird .. well certainly not on pokerstars or any live table I've watched .
Screenshot 2023 03 20 12 09 05 255 comandroidchrome edit

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you mean, what platform did our community member play on?
I meant the rules that you posted. But yes related to the community member - per your post.

Sorry Jay. We've derailed your thread!

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I meant the rules that you posted. But yes related to the community member - per your post.

To be honest, I don't play much anywhere and the screenshot is blurry. I do not know what kind of platform it is. and the rules from the WNP website
20230320 115714

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

To be honest, I don't play much anywhere and the screenshot is blurry. I do not know what kind of platform it is. and the rules from the WNP website
View attachment 327233
true, should I change the title to short deck I could get more replies lol :oops:

the screenshot looks like GGPOKER .

obviously, some places 3 of a kind beats a straight in short deck.
house rules are king of the hill, just like a home game the house can change any rule.
wonder why we have no wild card games lol, dueces and one-eyed jacks are wild was fun in my day. :unsure: