My MTT Strategies

ethon

ethon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So much great advice in this thread. Made sure to bookmark it!

Thanks, Snow!

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sitters are a nice source of chips.

I chat with Snowmobiler on occasion. A week or two ago I remember telling him something like "there are 4 sitters and my table, and the other 4 don't seem to realize it!" I took down a lot of uncontested hands and I really loosened up my image which (I hope) lead to some calls when the sitters left and I narrowed my range.

Once the guy on my right saw that the two on my left were easy pickings, he started raising uncontested pots to take their blinds, so I started three-betting him light. Not only did I win more chips, but that kept him away from "my" free blinds for awhile.

Anyway, the point is, in freerolls you need to pay attention to who is there and who is not. With four sitters, you are playing 5 handed poker and you need to adjust your game accordingly. Hopefully the other's won't notice or adapt, and will be using 9-player strategy.

You also need to widen your range when the sitters are in the blinds, and pay attention to how others are adapting to the sitters. If they are playing when the sitters are in the blinds, three-bet them light.
Hopefully one of these guys will have a hand like J/J and call your 3-bet. Then when your 6/8s flops a straight or two pair you stack them with their overpair. Then they go off whining in the bad beat section that some idiot 3-bet them with 6/8, oblivious to the fact that the fold equity made your 3-bet a +EV move.

One thing to be aware of though, is that people are apt to give you less credit when you open against absent blinds. So they might be apt to play back at you. So don't go steal-crazy. You are loosening up, *not* making stealing the primary factor in your game. The blinds are too small to get into risk a lot of chips on them.

Last edited:
KICKIN_ACES

KICKIN_ACES

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a great thread :)

Thank you to Snow, SP, & others who have contributed to making all of our games better :top:

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope Im there the day you do and you will be a very deserving winner imo!

Snow :cool:

I hope you'll see me too...hoped tonight would be the one, but I guess I'd better play one game at a time for now! LOL! I will never give up!:D

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok Snow, I see what your doing, now if i'm card dead should i be raising from the button if i see no one raise before me????
Also what do you think about raising the same amount, in every position, keeping the raise the same with AA to a pair of 2s, AK????

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have just found this thread. I read the half of it so far. Good job Snow. A lot of things can be learnt by these posts. :)

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok Snow, I see what your doing, now if i'm card dead should i be raising from the button if i see no one raise before me????
Also what do you think about raising the same amount, in every position, keeping the raise the same with AA to a pair of 2s, AK????

The 1st consideration for me is My M (surprise surprise),and the M of the blinds

2nd How good is my hand

Do I think I can get small and Big blind to fold marginal hands (player specific)

How many hands before the blinds are back to me.

How commited will I be when Blinds get back to me to play ATC (any two cards)

These would be the things I would take into consideration and sometimes its just a feeling I have or Something in someones play that I have seen that becomes the deciding factor.

As far as raising the same amount all the time,I don't...

I start with my M and my actual hand.Is it to my advantage to get in cheap or force the action? Varying my bets works for me.I mix things up enough that getting a read on exactly what Im doing at any paticular time ,I dont think is that easy.

My feeling is, do what you are comfortable with and what works for you.
If patiance is your strength,then use that to the best of your ability and mix in aggressive plays when the situation calls for it.

If you are naturally aggresive and find yourself making to many plays that get you in trouble,then look for opportunitys to be more patiant when its needed.

I think there are a variety of types of winning players and strategys,dont be afraid to experiment with playing styles while playing well within your bankroll limits.

Last edited:
SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...what do you think about raising the same amount, in every position, keeping the raise the same with AA to a pair of 2s, AK????

Raising the same amount: Ideally we would raise a lot with big cards like A/A to build a big pot and limp in with 2/2 to set mine for cheap. However, people will notice this so sometimes we sacrifice betting what is ideal for our hand in the interests confusing opponents. Therefore we keep some of our bets the same size so they don't know if we have a big hand or if we have a small hand.

Notice how I used "sometimes" and "some" instead of always? You see, we can minimize the impact of disguising our hands by betting different amounts.

In Harrington on Hold'em Volume 1 (buy this book and Volume II; they are gold!), Harrington says that if he has Q/Q+ early in an MTT he'll raise to 3 bb's 35%, raise to 4 bb's 35%, raise to 2 bb's 15%, and raise to 5 bb's 15%. (page 179/180).

Harrington is making big bets with big hands more often than not, but he's still slow playing them on occasion (he even says he'll limp with a big pair 20% of the time, but I don't advise doing this online unless you are pretty sure someone will 3-bet you *and* you are capable of laying down an overpair if there the situation gets dangerous post-flop).

You disguise your smaller hands in the same way. Sometimes bet them small, sometimes big.

Another factor you need to consider is the action that is likely to happen after your raise. At a table of nits, keep bets small. They'll fold to a smaller bet as much as they'll fold to a bigger bet. Early in a tournament I'll bet 3x bb usually. As the tournament progresses the loose players begin to disappear so I drop that down to 2.5 bb's.

In the same way, if there's a calling machine after you, charge him for your big hands.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The "I would have..."

Here's a hand from earlier tonight, against all CC players.

poker stars, $3.30 Buy-in (15/30 blinds) NL Hold'em Tourney, 8 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

MP3: 2,540 (84.7 bb)
CO: 2,670 (89 bb)
BTN: 2,875 (95.8 bb)
SB: 1,425 (47.5 bb)
BB: 1,745 (58.2 bb)
UTG+1: 915 (30.5 bb)
MP1: 1,600 (53.3 bb)
Hero (MP2): 2,730 (91 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is MP2 with A
club.gif
J
heart.gif

UTG+1 folds, MP1 raises to 90,

I'm next to act and I fold. I'm happy to fold A/J here. I might have opened here, but with a raise from someone who is not bluffing, A/J happily goes into the muck. If you're not comfortable folding A/J in this spot you need to reconsider your early position range and reread the earlier post in this thread about the gap concept.

2 folds, CO calls 90, 3 folds

Flop: (225) 3
diamond.gif
A
heart.gif
J
diamond.gif
(2 players)
MP1 bets 180, CO raises to 1,320, MP1 raises to 1,510 and is all-in, CO calls 190

I'm content with my pre flop fold, but had I called I'd have been all-in here as they'll have A/K and A/Q here a lot. J/J and A/A are unlikely, so I'm basically fearing 3/3 from the CO.

MP1 shows A
diamond.gif
Q
CO shows J
spade.gif
J
club.gif
A set!!!!

Turn: (3,245) A
spade.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
River: (3,245) 2
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 3,245 pot
MP1 showed A
diamond.gif
Q (three of a kind, Aces) and lost (-1,600 net)
CO showed J
spade.gif
J
club.gif
(a full house, Jacks full of Aces) and won 3,245 (1,645 net)

I would have had a full house, busting 2 players and dominating the table with over 7,000 in chips. But I do not regret a thing. I'm really happy with the way I played the hand. I got out with a hand that was beat. The results do not matter. I made the right play.

If you get in this situation and think, "Oh no I should have called!" you are just poisoning your mind.

Sklansky says something along the lines of, "Every time you make a move that you would have made if you could see their hole cards you win, and every time you make a move that you would not have made if you could see their cards they win." That is, the results do not matter. You want to make the best possible decisions for the situation you are in. You can't control what happens on the board, so beating yourself up because something statistically imporbable happened is massochistic. Don't do it.

Last edited:
Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a week filled with flopping 2 pr vs set,getting AA cracked ect.These things happen and just shrug it off and move on.I didnt really have anything that interesting to me until yesterday.

The guys/gals clash has been going on this month and it was a lot of fun.I was really impressed with alot of the play.

The 6th event was the top 9 point earners vs the top 9 gals.I was expecting a high level of play of got exactly that.

My thoughts before this started was to play it like a 18 man sng.
If you survive until the end of it,you will go through stages that are predictable.

At the beginning I expected to be playing a full 9 man table with low blinds, but I didn't take into account the late registration policy so we started short-handed for about 10 minutes (5 players).I didnt want to play any giant pots unless I was sure I had the best of it.I picked up enough pots to have a little better than a starting stack when the tables consolidated.

Im really looking to safely gain chips and survive to short handed the 1st time when we get down to 12 players or so,where your steals are more likely to work and doubling your stack seems more likely.

I had worked my way up to 3500 chips with blinds of 100/200 as we made the final table.I was behind a gal with a very nice stack and I quickly learned why.She was aggressive with her pre-flop raises and c-bets.She also was willing to go to the end with her raising hands and she was chipping up at will.

I was playing my normal 9 man sng strategy,patiant and waiting for a couple of players to bust so I could get it to a short handed game and get more aggressive.

With 6 players left I am dealt A3 in 1st position.I hate this spot but with blinds at 200/400 and 3500 stack (M 5),I need to make a play and get some chips or face being called by any two cards when I do play.
I push my stack in and am instantly re-raised so I know im probably looking at a 3 outer (big PP or ACE with over card) for my tourney life.The other player turns up AK and I need a 3.No help on the flop but the turn was gold as a magical 3 comes.I survive the river and now have 7000+ chips.I knew I had a chance now and If luck was going to run my way all the better!

I now had a stack where I could pick my spots,but had to grow my stack if I was going to win.
We bust a couple of more small stacks and get down to 3 players.
The gal in front of me had continued very aggressive play and I expected it to continue.

A few key hands she raised from 1st position and I reraised her all-in taking chances that she wasn't strong enough to call and give up a big percentage of her stack.If she would have called I woulda needed to win a flip likely.When she folded I felt i was taking control of the match but knew she wouldnt back down.

The last hand Im dealt pkt 3s and this hand was plenty big to push my stack 15,000 vs 10,000 and blinds/antes over 1000 per hand.She called with A7 ( a very good call) and my hand held up for the win.

Sometimes you get lucky in a hand and it can propel you to the win.

Great play and a great event by all!

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any chance we can put a sticky on this thread? Great stuff that shouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any chance we can put a sticky on this thread? Great stuff that shouldn't get lost in the shuffle.
I'm with lizzy.

Snow, or SP, would it be right to call an all-in with AJ from UTG1? I know SP was their when i did it, so i shall post the hand here for you to see.
Stacks:
BB with 1780
UTG with 2540
UTG+1 with 1460
MP1 with 1325
MP2 with 1225
CO with 805
BTN with 1460
SB with 1405

hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: Full Tilt Poker
Dealt to UTG:A♥ J♣
Sklansky group 4
Preflop:
Hero raises to 180
5 players fold.
SB raises to 1,405, and is all in
1 players fold.
Hero calls [1,225]
SB shows :
K♥ K♦ Hero shows :
A♥ J♣
Total folds this street: 6
Potsize: 2870
Flop:
8♠ A♦ 2♠
Turn:
4♥
River:
J♦
SB shows a pair of Kings
Hero shows two pair, Aces and Jacks Hero wins the pot (2,870) with two pair, Aces and Jacks

Was i right, or was i wrong, i did think about folding, but i went with my gut.
I ran the hands he could have in my head, not one pointed to AK, AA.
What i was thinking, it was that he was trying to steal my raise, i have had it happen before.

Last edited:
Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with lizzy.

Snow, or SP, would it be right to call an all-in with AJ from UTG1? I know SP was their when i did it, so i shall post the hand here for you to see.
Stacks:
BB with 1780
UTG with 2540
UTG+1 with 1460
MP1 with 1325
MP2 with 1225
CO with 805
BTN with 1460
SB with 1405

hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: Full Tilt Poker
Dealt to UTG:A♥ J♣
Sklansky group 4
Preflop:
Hero raises to 180
5 players fold.
SB raises to 1,405, and is all in
1 players fold.
Hero calls [1,225]
SB shows :
K♥ K♦ Hero shows :
A♥ J♣
Total folds this street: 6
Flop:
8♠ A♦ 2♠
Turn:
4♥
River:
J♦
SB shows a pair of Kings
Hero shows two pair, Aces and Jacks Hero wins the pot (2,870) with two pair, Aces and Jacks

Was i right, or was i wrong, i did think about folding, but i went with my gut.
I ran the hands he could have in my head, not one pointed to AK, AA.
What i was thinking, it was that he was trying to steal my raise, i have had it happen before.

I like the raise and think I fold to the reraise unless I knew villian made those type of resteals.In most cases your beat by the mostly likely reraise hands: AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK-Reraises with under pair is less likely and A 10 or less is slim.If you know he is a maniac then I might gamble.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not only do I remember that hand, but I was chatting with someone who was observing the table and we both wrote "A/J????" to each other at the same time when you called.

So that's two more of us who agree with Snowmobiler's "fold to the reraise."

And if Snow knew who was re-raising you there he'd say "fold for sure." The re-raiser is a CC regular with 15/7 stats and A/J is just never good in that situation.

Another way to look at it... Look back a few posts where I fold A/J to someone who opens in a similar position to you.
Now consider that this smart CC regular is playing fairly similar how I play. That is, he knows about the gap concept and he is still three-betting your early position raise for his entire stack.

Last edited:
T

testreet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the first time I 2 am starting to change my donkey strategies and become more of a conservative or "tight" player in order to build up a stack with almost unbeatable hands

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ Yeah. According to the gap concept, the 9/9 isn't typically good enough there.

The Gap Concept:
A player is likely to have a good hand to bet, so if they bet you should have a hand *better* than what they are likely to have.

As we've mentioned earlier in this thread, hand ranges for early positions are narrow (very good hands), and get wider (with so-so hands) in later positions.

So... if someone opens under the gun, they are likely to have a very good hand. If someone re-raises them, they are likely to have an excellent hand (because of the gap concept). If someone re-raises that, they should have a K/K or A/A because those are really the only kind of hands that are likely to beat the other two players.

I guess if the 4-better is really short and not in a bubble situation he can shove with a wider range because as he's looking to get lucky.
:D Ok, now i know, that some will steal, will put that move off in late position, with crap.
I should use it more, then i have been, maybe it will save my chips.

I like the raise and think I fold to the reraise unless I knew villian made those type of resteals.In most cases your beat by the mostly likely reraise hands: AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK-Reraises with under pair is less likely and A 10 or less is slim.If you know he is a maniac then I might gamble.

The player is a great player, the last CC freeroll he was doing it to my raises all of the time.
But i don't know if he was lucky at getting hands or not, i could not get anything to call him with.
See the hand at the bottom, redid my thinking on that hand, he was not SS to shove.

Not only do I remember that hand, but I was chatting with someone who was observing the table and we both wrote "A/J????" to each other at the same time when you called.

So that's two more of us who agree with Snowmobiler's "fold to the reraise."

And if Snow knew who was re-raising you there he'd say "fold for sure." The re-raiser is a CC regular with 15/7 stats and A/J is just never good in that situation.

Another way to look at it... Look back a few posts where I fold A/J to someone who opens in a similar position to you.
Now consider that this smart CC regular is playing fairly similar how I play. That is, he knows about the gap concept and he is still three-betting your early position raise for his entire stack.
I even felt that if he had a high PP, that i could rebuild my stack if need be.
Also thinking if he had AK, we could split the pot.
I guess it would of been better, if i had a HUD, but i was going on past info i built up on him.
I don't use the gap concept, as much as i should, tho i have had AK, reraised by AJ lots of times.. I know you have seen me do this lots of times, with KK, AA, AK, well in the SB, or BB, i only have 3 games to were it failed.
And i was also thinking about what snow had said in the first post, was picking the spots that i would raise from, getting more of a read for hands.
I have been adding all of what i can in to my game, the last 2 games it has helped alot.
Also i did not have, any data for his hand range, none of the hands i have seen him play never made it to the showdown..
Tho now i got a new note on him now, i wished all of the sites would stop giving me all of the same CCers every game,:joyman: i need to get info on some of the players i have not played that much.

I had the same thing happen to me, just before the CC game, heres how that happened, i'm sitting UTG1 with TT, the blinds where 120/240 i raise to 720, get reraised all-in by UTG2 2,105, it folds around to the BB who calls, then back to me, i'm thinking on it, know hes been playing alot of hands, limping with them, so i call, he shows Qh Kd, the BB shows Jc 8c, with the flop i way ahead Ah 6h 2c, the turn 2s, now the river killed me Qs.
Now i'm still trying to think, how he could shove, with 3 bet???? He knew i was raising with top hands..

^^^^^ That i don't get one bit......

Last edited:
Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:D

Imo these 2 statements indicate a serious leak in your game.The idea in building a stack is to "preserve" and build it.With AJ the only hand you are ahead of is a bluff and it was so unlikely in the situation described that you are really just giving away an advantage (and your chips) that you had earned.

To think that AJ might split with AK is stopping you from advancing in tourneys imo.You really need to respect reraises except from a total maniac.

The sooner you can start making folds that you do not want to make,the sooner you will go deeper in tourneys and the easier those folds get.

I can go so far as to say, If you ALWAYS fold AJ to a re-raise you will be way ahead over time.

I know Im pulling out 2 statements of a longer post,but this is so important that you understand this!

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Wha???? That's crazy talk. You need more respect for your chips.

You split the pot 4.6% of the time!

What's happening here is that you're getting in a situation where you are going to win less than 25% of the time, and maybe split less than 5%.
It's trouble. Bail!

Best case scenario is that he's feeling bluffy with T/T (and is still a favorite), and that doesn't happen enough to justify a call.

I guess it would of been better, if i had a HUD, but i was going on past info i built up on him.

You don't need a HUD in this situation. Stats don't mean a whole lot as plays are situational in tournaments, based on blinds, chip stacks, and positions (M and positions). You know he's solid. You should have folded.

I only use a HUD in a tournament to display mucked showdown cards and to get a very rough idea of how people I don't remember tend to play.

I don't use the gap concept, as much as i should, tho i have had AK, reraised by AJ lots of times..

That's a big leak. Pay heed to the gap concept.
Look, people play bad and will 3-bet with A/J. Sometimes they will win. Let them play losing poker. Open with A/J, and fold to an early raise with A/J.
I fold A/J all the time on the button or in the blinds when someone in early position raises. And it's an easier fold when I'm in early position. A/J is just trouble.

Now, if someone in the cutoff or big blind raises my blind and I have A/J, they're almost always getting 3-bet. They're likely to be bluffing.
But if they are 12/5 players or something, I happily muck the A/J. A small loss is better than a big loss. And chances are the pot is only going to get really big if I am crushed.

Also i did not have, any data for his hand range...

Neither did I. I never looked at his numbers. I just knew he was tight and in that situation there's nothing that A/J can beat.

i wished all of the sites would stop giving me all of the same CCers every game,:joyman:

This is an advantage to players who can pick up on the tendencies of others, and a disadvantage to those who cannot.

I had the same thing happen to me, just before the CC game, heres how that happened...

Monekys flinging poo at each other have nothing to do with this CC buy-in game.[/quote]

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think i played good, well all for that call.:eek:
I see plenty of players who do well early on. They acquire more chips quicker than me and build up a pretty good stack, then they asplode. They call a 3-bet with Q/Js or K/T or A/J or some other slop which totally invalidates all of their previous work.

If you're going to make plays that invalidate all of your previous work, all that work is for naught.

Note: There is a big difference between calling an all-in with Q/J or K/T or A/J and shoving with these hands, as the latter (hopefully) comes with heaping helping of fold equity. That is, you need a better hand to call than you do to shove.

Also, when you quote people, delete the stuff you don't need in their post.

Last edited:
Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see plenty of players who do well early on. They acquire more chips quicker than me and build up a pretty good stack, then they asplode. They call a 3-bet with Q/Js or K/T or A/J or some other slop which totally invalidates all of their previous work.

If you're going to make plays that invalidate all of your previous work, all that work is for naught.

To say it another way that might hit home with you,A chip saved is a chip earned!

They dont call it having "leaks" for nothing.When plumbing leaks it loses water a little at a time,but creates a big puddle before long.If your dribbling off chips here and there ,before you know it your out of chips!

Those chips really cost you when you double a couple of times in a row (like we all hope to),when you double twice that is 4x,so if you wasted 500 chips,that is often 2000 chips.Plug those leaks and make more final tables and have more chances to win.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q3,K8,83,72

These are the hands i busted the last 4 people with and I upset at least 1 person and likely convinced a few more that I am a luck box donkey.

I won the UB $5.50 buy-in for $66

Now lets break down some of what happened.We were on the bubble (Pays 9) and 5 players at each table.This is a good place to try to build your stack and ideally you do it against small stacks,limiting your downside risk to your stack.

I raise from 2nd position with K 10 off with 2 small stacks and 1 big stack behind me.My goal was to put pressure on the BB (SS) but not bet so much that if the big stack pushes that I couldnt fold.It folds to the BB who calls,He called knowing he is going to bet the last of his chips no matter what flops.He only had like 350 chips into a 3500 chip pot so im calling flop bet no matter what comes to.My K 10 busted his A5.

We are at the final table and i continued to bust people and we got down to 5 players (here is where a guy gets upset.I was putting pressure with my big stack and raised with Q3 (suited I think).the sb (other big stack) calls my raise and bb folds.The flop is j 10 3 and I caught the pr of 3s and he checks instantly which seemed weird for his style of play, so I check behind.The turn was like 7 (seemed innocent) and he bets 1200 into a pot of 5000.I had him covered both having around 10,000 chips,so I call hoping to catch a card i can bust him,A magical 3 comes on the river and he pushes in with top pr and I insta call with trips.This player says OMFG,
Q fn 3, ect and was upset that I cracked him.

He should be mad at himself and not taking it out on me (which I just laugh anyway).Ok his 1st mistake was calling my raise with kj.We are the 2 big stacks( M 10) and 3 others with M of 2-3,if he cant reraise then just fold and look for a better situation.
His call isnt completely horrible but you want to proceed with caution when tangling with the only other big stack. He flops top pair with a good kicker and checks to me (mistake 2,he shoulda bet) I assume he was check raising all -in if I bet but Im not sure.This check is often a
check/ raise so I check behind figuring his turn action would tell me more about his hand.On the turn he bets 1200 into 5000 pot (mistake 3, to small of bet) and I put him on top pr (80% sure).I mostly ruled trips out with the 10 J possible straight draw on the board.I call the 1200, pretty sure I need a 3 or Q and I might bust him.Yep, miricle 3 on the river and he insta shoves and I insta call

He was so upset about me winning with Q3 but his play let me have his chips.If he doesnt stop and figure out what happened he will likely repeat it again.

Now I have like 25,000 chips and 3 stacks of 2500 or so.I just push-in until someone doubles,because it would be a mistake to fold any 2 cards to these stacks and they might fold to me to try to move up a spot or 2 in the prize pool.

My next 3 hands (k8,83,72) won and were all behind pre-flop but ended up winning.
If someone wins a pot then i would have adjusted my play accordingly.

Dont worry what people think if you bust em with any 2 cards,make the right play and chuckle when they whine. :D

GL at the tables all :)

Last edited:
PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just want to step off the subject for a second here

For those reading snows thread for the first time... Read it again... and again..

Snow is not only giving u things that will help but is also giving u things to refer back to while your in the MIDDLE of a MTT.

I sincerely hope that Snow can attest to this but in my time here at CC ive been a aggro spewtard but recently after reading this thread (honestly now more than 100x) Ive been cashing in more than 50% of my MTT's..

I play micro limits and have only been stepping out recently for CC buyin games..Ive been posting many more rail requests and I get a lot more responses because Ive been battling fields of more than 3-4k ppl..

My last one was the $11 15k GTD on stars.. 4k ppl and I ended up finishing 90th for about $50.

Before that I played the $1.10 2k GTD on stars.. 4800 ppl and I came in fourth for $180..

Not much u say?

I say big swing and bigger ROI for a spewtard who decided that he didnt know nething and others may know alot more than he..

Thanks Snow and Savage for the insights.. I know I said that already I just wanted to share whats been happening to me personally since I ve been a frequent viewer of this specific thread

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As usual Snow, you have hit my playing on the head! I'm never sure of what I want to do in certain situations & am trying to plug the leaks. But, as most people know, I can be quite emotional & I often let that get me 'on tilt'! I love reading what you have written & am constantly trying to improve myself everytime I play.
I think that sometimes I do surprise you however with my bravery in action, when you push me to raise or fold.:eek: I need to respond more with this & to also be more patient in building my stack!
I am still in the 'learning phase' though, and will try to apply one thing at a time, rather than trying to digest it all in one sitting!:D

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Q3,K8,83,72

These are the hands i busted the last 4 people with...

Now I have like 25,000 chips and 3 stacks of 2500 or so.I just push-in until someone doubles...

For more detail on what Snow is doing here, read the "Flyswatting: The 10-to-1 Rule" chapter of Harrington on Hold'em Volume II. he has a great story about the 1995 wsop where he went all-in with J/3, and how that changed how people played him (for the better).

Basically, at the end of a tournament you can push with any two cards if you have ten time's their chip count is well worth the possibility of losing a few chips, as suckouts are fairly common (Harrington has a "Domination Isn't As Bad As You Think" section). People who don't understand the play will think you're an idiot. (BFD)

Also, when people see you shoving they think, "If I shove on his big blind he's apt to call with anything! Do I really want to bet a so-so hand against him and risk elimination? I need to wait for something good!"

Now, calling a shove is a bit different. I want a little something, as there's no fold equity and you're random hand is facing an above-average hand.

Last edited: