(Most)Freerolls are a waste of time

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love freerolls especially the St and Turbo ones where Lot of A A hands butchered by 4 8 types of hands.
There are lot of people who has got plenty of time and no money in their bankroll so freeroll is the only option for them.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It do waste a lot of time, but some kind of free rolls still worth to play.:)

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars freerolls are run by partners and most of them are not for all participants. Any freeroll where more than 1000 participants cannot be profitable. Therefore, a lot of shoves with any hands, from such a game you will not get any experience. It will not be possible to wait out because of the small initial stack and the rapid growth of antes and blinds. Such a game really does not give anything.
Cardchat freerolls, this is a completely different game due to the strong composition of the participants, many use and hone certain strategies and concepts, here you can get game experience.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A chance to win free $$$ playing a fun game that you love will always be a thing that i enjoy doing,,, :dancing:

F

FergusDec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly don't see much difference in the ACR freerolls compared to their lowest level buy-in tourney's/venom challenges in terms of how people play.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't find the freerolls at pokerstars to be that big a hassle. The prize pool is larger than u stated in most tourneys and they don't take near as long as you stated. To solve it though JUST DON'T PLAY !!! Give me the opportunity to build a small stack then play in like an 11 dollar tourney with a 275 k prize pool called the Sunday Storm .

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I use freerolls to build a modest bank that I can then build into a larger amount. I did this first time ten years ago on Red Light Poker, that had one $500 freeroll each week where first paid $125 and second $75. I turned that into two $1600 checks from them over a 6 months span.

Since a decade long, government imposed poker hiatus, I have built up over $50 from freerolls in the past two months (mostly the past week since CC ACR freerolls returned). When I hit $100 or so, I'll put the money to use in cash games or SnGs (maybe a couple mtts).

Even after I start playing money games, why would I stop freerolls? They are still the most fun you can have for three hours for free.

I have never made a deposit.

Last edited:
Pufik

Pufik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
normall freerolls are bullshit, but cardschat freerolls are better, you can win on top prize from 18 to 30$. and thats is better, if you play 0.50$ 45+90+180 man, you can get 40BI more and that is a lot.

D

Dmitrij32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not agree that freerolls are a waste of time, it all depends on which side to approach this issue. After all, you can play as entertainment, if it still brings income,it will clearly increase the mood and morale))):D

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For people with time and want to play tournaments, free rolls offer a chance for no money. If you cash it still is a positive return. I still do both play mtt for small stakes.

For a new player I don't see a down side. Even to play micro stakes you still have to invest the time.But for an opportunity to build a bank roll a no cost except your time. It still has a good upside.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You gotta be crazy,freerolls here are great,geez last freeroll I placed I won $60.00 at SB ,$30.00 at intertops,$19.at Stars ,have you seen the money some of the top earners have made,it's almost to good to be true far from a waste of time,let alone what you can learn if you apply yourself, lot of really good players here and it's all free,you can't ask for a better deal:)

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hmm.. I have never played in a forum freeroll, because, you know, you have to put up "ELEVENTY" million posts in order to gain access to the password. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm talking about you, Cardchat.
WTF u on about dude??? Don't u DARE come on here and run our forum down. Go crawl under a rock and stop breathing

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope you don't believe that a free entry tournament will make you rich right?
The vast majority in free entry tournaments are people who play as a hobby
You do realize that you can win your way into the venom through freerolls and first place is over a million dollars right? If you can't dream big, what's the point in dreaming at all?

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously, they are a waste of time, where you even lose money if you win. Most of the FRs on poker sites have a 50 to 100.00 prize pool, where the top person gets 7 to 10.00.

All the Cons-

- They take forever, even longer than most tourneys, because they have several levels of late registration. I've seen some with close to 40 levels of late registration, because the freeroll offered re-buy ins.

- It will take a long time to get ITM, and when you do get ITM, it will be for pennies. I have never won a FR, but I have finished ITM, where I was like top 30 or something, and I won 85 cents or so. I played a 1.00 buy-in tourney with a prize pool of 1000.00. I finished top 40, I believe, and I won 3.80. I played that same tourney again, finished top 5, and won 35.00 dollars. Top 5 in a FR is around 3 or 4 dollars. I got more money for similar finishes in the buy-in tourneys.

- You also losing money ( time is money) on them, because you're putting forth tons of mental labor over long periods of time, for either pennies on the dollar, or for no money at all.

- The hand play from villains is Kamikazee style, because the game is free, and the buy-ins are micro cheap. From the start of the tourney, you will be forced to dodge shoves on 1 out of every 6 to 7 hands or so.

Maybe the exclusive club FR are worth it, but they are still insanely time consuming just to get a low payout.

People will recommend FRs for the purpose of gaining real play experience. But I disagree with that as well. You can get the same experience by playing with play money, or playing against people on a poker phone App.

It allows you a chance to win something for nothing. It is a waste of time if you don't enjoy it. But shit, it pays more than me playing Stardew Valley (farming game), and I play that for fun. But if you are not having fun playing it and you are truly grinding for $1, probably better things to do to earn $1 than to play free roll.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll is also infinitely better than pay to win. Unless you can win consistently, freeroll gives you a chance to win. Doesn't matter if you have a bankroll of $1,000,000. If you can't win, you will eventually lose it all.

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the freeroll. If it is 9000 players and 7 dollars for first that takes around 6 hours and is simply not worth my time ..

B

bloody3d

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll is good experiment for real tournaments. So you can learn much things in those tournaments

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the format I think.

I'm registered with practically every major site and the freeroll offerings vary greatly.

The best are ones that give away tickets to a high proportion of entrants.

The worst are those with 7000 entrants and $0.02 paid to the top 200 or something after 10 hours...

It's very difficult to reach the final table unless you double/triple up early on during the All-In Lottery phase.

I find that the wild play is similar to micro stakes MTTs early on so there is value in using freerolls to learn the game. They are also a good way for casual players to enjoy poker without any risk.

Don't quit your day job to play freerolls though!

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
for this time of tournaments it is a lot of pasience to wait for playable hands and regarding this time of tournaments I see them very profitable since it allows you to play large tournaments with a small investment and from what I studied it goes well for me

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls

Wow, you sound a bit angry about freerolls, Ishnock.

Yes, freerolls aren't for everyone. I limit mine to low or no late registrations, and absolutely don't play in freerolls that allow re-buys. To me, they're just RB and Add-on tournaments disguised as freerolls.

I enjoy the daily freerolls on Intertops, along with the CC freerolls on that site. I've seen a CC freeroll on Bet Online, but I don't qualify to play in that one yet. The Intertops freerolls boosted my bankroll on that site back into the black after a bad spell of variance.

I've also done very well in the ignition $2,500 weekly freerolls. Took me a year and a half of playing micro SnGs before I reached the chrome tier and started receiving tickets for those. And that tournament doesn't allow any late registrations.

Hey, it's all free money as far as I'm concerned, and I don't believe in looking a gift horse in the mouth.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel one of the greatest values of a freeroll is to be able to play stress free. So if you're just looking to play for a bit with no financial risk or a less likely emotional risk, it's time more relaxingly spent, vs time wasted.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls. It’s good that they are. But learning to play them does not work out. people are ready to catch their one out for any bet. and defeat the variance in them also doesn’t work out. although it’s useful to get certain skills

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In conversion time vs money you can win It's waste of time. Freerolls have usually small prize pool. However if you want biuld your bankroll without deposit it's great chance for you to do it.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, playing freerolls is not suitable for serious earnings. but this is a great way to build a bankroll from scratch, something like a challenge to yourself that you can do everything really out of nothing, well, just for fun will do.

And winning a Freeroll is not an indicator of your real level of play:)

Freeroll Passwords