***May SNG Thread***

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn couldnt edit my post but Id have shoved the aces after the flop with the str and flush draws out there if he wants to call most his stack off chasing let him do it here. he could have two spades here which is what I thought at first but the bet of 400 is inviting a call to many players and I can see the check on the flop isnt terrible but I think on a board like that you need to bet the flop. I would throw half or all my remaining stack in there and if I get our drawn well I get outdrawn. If your gonna throw yer chips in even when the J hits I think you misplayed that a little. Sigh Im supposed to be sleeping but I think I will stay up watch the rest now.

Also I know its probally just generall chatter but I think its just as good watching a video of someone losing as well as winning, shows how poker really is. Really good bubble play on the last game too.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he was being sarcastic, well I hope he was because I enjoy reading his posts. Finished all coursework I had to do for now so now I am going to be back playing some poker, probally not untill tomorow apart from CC game but I am not sure where too start. I have been thinking of trying another site but I am not sure what one or where has good traffic on sngs.....
Sort of, I wont be leaving for good, but just not contributing as much, like, not going out of my way to create things etc. like the videos as it's taking up too much of my time.

Just watched half of Wizzims vid, and already I can see a few spots where you have helped me things I have noted so far-

I am stealing your note system!Haha, i use that for just a quick reference, i havent really fine tuned it yet, have you seen the new notes system in pokerstars, it's really quite good. it's in options somewhere.

On the 66 hand, do you think thet you should have called the 65 bet? And do you think at that stage of the game you could have limped it? Yeah, but the idea of limping is to entice bad players into the pot with you and create a big multiway pot, now when your in later position limping loses it's effectiveness. so im fine with raising preflop, if i was a seat or two to the right, id limp. as for the flop bet, it was kind of small, probably could have peeled. but what card am i happy to see on the turn? a 6, yep, anything else im folding to a turn bet, so why put in another 65, If i was happier with the board texture, or if i had a read my opponants folded to flop bets often, then i would have cbet myself. As played, i think it hit their range pretty well so i decided to fold, another issue is the guy behind had been a bit loose, so i didnt know what to expect from him.I didnt really want to put in 100-200 chips to find out if my 6es were ahead.

Watching you play it looks like I comlpete to many blinds, I think I would have called the 15 with KJ but as you say those hands can get you on trouble in that instance though do you think you could have called it?I'm usually pretty tight in the sb, i will complete with these hands if A) i feel the opponants who limped are bad and will stack off light B) if theres a lot of players in the pot C) with a good multiway pot hand like 76 s id be much happier completing with, as it plays a lot easier postflop D) if im playing a lot of tables, im more likely to just fold, as i said earlier, i used the strategy i would play if i was loading up 20 games, If i was just playing the 4-6 im more likely to complete in spots like this, as i can pay more attention to that specific hand.

Ok well its funny how watching other people play the same levels/games shows you how bad your own game is, I dont think I have seen you bluff alot and basically your just playing a solid game and playing well I think I need to rethink a lot of my game now, espically the shoving watched around 35 mins and can barely keep my eyes open nice vid so far. Bluffing is kinda a waste of time at these levels, however, against the right opponant i will two barrell, check raise as a bluff etc. but i need to get a read on a guy before im comfortable doing so, If im playing at a higher level agaisnt regs, im more likely to try some plays agianst them, But even the good regs at the 3.40's are pretty bad.

Think I will have to watch the rest later, I havnt slept properly for over a week now and need some rest, enjoyed so far though and I may try some turbos later!

Damn couldnt edit my post but Id have shoved the aces after the flop with the str and flush draws out there if he wants to call most his stack off chasing let him do it here. he could have two spades here which is what I thought at first but the bet of 400 is inviting a call to many players and I can see the check on the flop isnt terrible but I think on a board like that you need to bet the flop. I would throw half or all my remaining stack in there and if I get our drawn well I get outdrawn. If your gonna throw yer chips in even when the J hits I think you misplayed that a little. Sigh Im supposed to be sleeping but I think I will stay up watch the rest now.

Also I know its probally just generall chatter but I think its just as good watching a video of someone losing as well as winning, shows how poker really is. Really good bubble play on the last game too.
Yeah, i botched that aces hand up really well, i agree i should have probably bet the flop. However he confused me, when he checked on the flop, it looked like he had the 'Check/fold' button on, so i immediately put him on absolute air. i didnt think he had a draw of any kind, if he had a flush draw, why wouldn't he think about it more? so the 400 bet was designed to allow him to shove over me as a bluff, as i showed weakness on the flop. im still reasonably happy with my play apart from the river,, that's where i really didnt think it through, i should have definately check/called the river.. shoving was horrible to say the least. especially after he called, i still put him on air, though. When im playing these small stakes things i kind of get myself into trouble in spots like this, i try and get max value occasionally i let someone catch up and beat me.

Thanks for the feedback, if i helped a couple of people it was worth making it. All in all, i dont think i played them great, it was ok though. I was kind of sick at the time and i really havent played a lot in the past two months, so errors creep into your game if you dont play often. Im looking to get back to grinding some sng's next month, probably the 6.50 turbo's.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shame but I also can't access Wizzim's vid. I'd echo the comments made earlier in that I rate Wizzim's thoughts on this forum, particularly with regard to ICM and SNG Wizard.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea Wizz - you can't get discouraged over the video. It is buried in a thread that only a handful of us frequent and half of that handful can't even watch it.

Though I do understand about the time factor. Just don't let this one thing frustrate you - us sng players need you around here! :)

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea Wizz - you can't get discouraged over the video. It is buried in a thread that only a handful of us frequent and half of that handful can't even watch it.

Though I do understand about the time factor. Just don't let this one thing frustrate you - us sng players need you around here! :)

This ^

Plus people sometimes have things going on in life where poker just isnt important at the moment but it would be a shame if you let that discourage you, some good threads on the site die without discussion some dont, I think in the short time you have been here you have for sure added alot and has been good/intresting reading your insights. I dont think you should have to put out loads of videos or stuff but if you have the time and inclination to do one at any point I would sure like to see more, ok maybe I will watch it a few weeks late :p but I will get too it.

Did u post the vid in the videos section too?

Using poker anaolagies now I am just vcoming off a downswing in life :rolleyes: so today is the first time in a few weeks where I want to play !!

Edit- I would still be tempted to call that 65 bet :p

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i suppose you have a point, but it isn't just the video, it's a lead up thing. I mean, i just don't get why the silly threads get all the attention, when we could be having a much better discussion about stuff that actually improves our game, not just boosting up ego's.

At the end of the day, that's what were here for, isn't it? to learn... trying to post new things or idea's, rather than answering or reading similar questions/answers over and over isn't something id be willing to read/post on..

I didn't post it in the video section, as i don't want novice players learning bad things, In no way am i a professional sng player, and in no way is that video perfect, thus, i decided to keep it in here, i dont want to be instructing people to play 'OK'. But i guess dakota is correct, there arnt that many of us :D...

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i suppose you have a point, but it isn't just the video, it's a lead up thing. I mean, i just don't get why the silly threads get all the attention, when we could be having a much better discussion about stuff that actually improves our game, not just boosting up ego's.

At the end of the day, that's what were here for, isn't it? to learn... trying to post new things or idea's, rather than answering or reading similar questions/answers over and over isn't something id be willing to read/post on..

I didn't post it in the video section, as i don't want novice players learning bad things, In no way am i a professional sng player, and in no way is that video perfect, thus, i decided to keep it in here, i dont want to be instructing people to play 'OK'. But i guess dakota is correct, there arnt that many of us :D...

I have been thinking of maybe starting up a monthly sperate discussion thread focusing on one aspect of sngs, how do people feel about that?

Maybe like one month, blinds play or position and then we see what everyone wants to talk about the next month.....

First too hands in league 7-2 off :rolleyes:

Edit- wow only just saw your faq guide wiz will take a look at that.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm glad you have decided to stay Wizzim. I really don't know that much about you and haven't really read much from you except in this post. I will be checking out your SnG FAQ thread, but right now I need to be getting back to work. Thanks again for any and all work that you do put in this forum.

P.S. Some players can benefit from 'OK' play. It's tough to jump from a losing game to a winning game, so I think vids in the realm of 'OK' are actually a better thing than just all 3rd level thinking vids.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been thinking of maybe starting up a monthly sperate discussion thread focusing on one aspect of sngs, how do people feel about that?

Maybe like one month, blinds play or position and then we see what everyone wants to talk about the next month.....

First too hands in league 7-2 off :rolleyes:

Edit- wow only just saw your faq guide wiz will take a look at that.

We could just come up with a monthy discussion in this thread, it's already set up, so we can just add to the conversation in here.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We could just come up with a monthy discussion in this thread, it's already set up, so we can just add to the conversation in here.

This is true but the thought behind it was that people may not come into a sng thread but may come into a thread say on push/fold or early blind play.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sort of, I wont be leaving for good, but just not contributing as much, like, not going out of my way to create things etc. like the videos as it's taking up too much of my time.

It's important that you get to an equilibrium where what you get from taking part in a forum is related to what you contribute to it. Even though the nature, quality, quantity, ... of what you put in and what you get out may differ greatly, it should balance out in your own subjective evaluation of it all.

That's what will keep you in here in the long run. So imho, it's perfectly fine for you to ask for more or give less if that's what's needed to reach that equilibrium.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand of the tournament...I'll take the luck.

pokerstars Game #44345412568: Tournament #274626113, $3.00+$0.75+$0.35 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2010/05/19 21:36:06 ET
Table '274626113 1' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: TX_JR FAN (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: Slarry2627 (1500 in chips)
Seat 3: dreman14 (1500 in chips)
Seat 4: Dorsy1 (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: ibetyouwin2 (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: Don Galimo (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: orioles32 (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: billevar (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: bk3686 (1500 in chips)
Slarry2627: posts small blind 10
dreman14: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to orioles32 [Ks Kd]
Dorsy1: folds
ibetyouwin2: folds
Don Galimo: calls 20
orioles32: raises 60 to 80
billevar: raises 1420 to 1500 and is all-in
bk3686: folds
TX_JR FAN: folds
Slarry2627: folds
dreman14: folds
Don Galimo: folds
orioles32: calls 1420 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [6h 8d Kc]
*** TURN *** [6h 8d Kc] [3s]
*** RIVER *** [6h 8d Kc 3s] [Tc]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
orioles32: shows [Ks Kd] (three of a kind, Kings)
billevar: shows [As Ah] (a pair of Aces)
orioles32 collected 3050 from pot
orioles32 wins the $0.75 bounty for eliminating billevar
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3050 | Rake 0
Board [6h 8d Kc 3s Tc]
Seat 1: TX_JR FAN (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Slarry2627 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: dreman14 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: Dorsy1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: ibetyouwin2 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Don Galimo folded before Flop
Seat 7: orioles32 showed [Ks Kd] and won (3050) with three of a kind, Kings
Seat 8: billevar showed [As Ah] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 9: bk3686 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's important that you get to an equilibrium where what you get from taking part in a forum is related to what you contribute to it. Even though the nature, quality, quantity, ... of what you put in and what you get out may differ greatly, it should balance out in your own subjective evaluation of it all.

That's what will keep you in here in the long run. So imho, it's perfectly fine for you to ask for more or give less if that's what's needed to reach that equilibrium.

That's a really good way of thinking about it, thanks a lot :D.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know whats up with me I just have no desire to play right now, even though I have the time too. And if I play I dont know where too start, I play 18 mans and built my roll this time from 45ish dollars from the end of feb till end of april. I was planning to start putting in some volume and did so in may made silver from the 3$ games and have a roll of around 750$ right now. I dont seem to "get" turbo games although I would like to play them if I could.

I was playing four tables so put a lot of hours in too get silver then took a break for scoops then just didnt bother much trying to sat in. I think I need a game plan like set my self a number of games a day to try play maybe turbo maybe non. I am also thinking of buying some software using my poker funds any ideas, thoughts or experiences? I play only at stars.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am going to start coaching with a new coach tomorrow. He is very good and has a great graph so I am anxious to see what he can teach me.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing four tables so put a lot of hours in too get silver then took a break for scoops then just didnt bother much trying to sat in. I think I need a game plan like set my self a number of games a day to try play maybe turbo maybe non. I am also thinking of buying some software using my poker funds any ideas, thoughts or experiences? I play only at stars.

If you don't have a HUD, I would suggest HEM. I feel it's better than PT3, but I'm pretty biased. Plus they have a couple other programs bundled with HEM software that uses your stats to help you out, like SnG Wizard, Leak Buster and since you play on Stars they also have TableNinja.

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been multi-tabling the 45 and 90 player sng's on stars since the beginning of this month. I plan to move up in stakes soon if I can just stay away from the ring games. I did take a shot at the $109 SCOOP Main Event (I won a $1 rebuy satellite and was too late to unregister). I played a few micro MTT's, but these are my May Results so far. I may not be able to play any more this month because of my regular job, but this is the most volume I've ever played in such a short period and it seems to be working for me. http://officialpokerrankings.com/po...lts/65726BC85622479897994F1F563C1477.html?t=2

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't have a HUD, I would suggest HEM. I feel it's better than PT3, but I'm pretty biased. Plus they have a couple other programs bundled with HEM software that uses your stats to help you out, like SnG Wizard, Leak Buster and since you play on Stars they also have TableNinja.

Thanks Dg I am gonna have a look through the site today, think I need to sort my pc out and give it a good clean then I am thinking of getting some software in the next few weeks.

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Dg I am gonna have a look through the site today, think I need to sort my pc out and give it a good clean then I am thinking of getting some software in the next few weeks.

IIRC, PT3 has a 60 day free trial. I'd give that a go first. Then when it's up, down load the HEM trial and give it a shot. If you're like me, you'll be ready to spend the money on HEM inside the first few hours.

And as far as Table Ninja, keep and eye on this piece of software that's about to hit open beta. I'm quite excited by it.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IIRC, PT3 has a 60 day free trial. I'd give that a go first. Then when it's up, down load the HEM trial and give it a shot. If you're like me, you'll be ready to spend the money on HEM inside the first few hours.

And as far as Table Ninja, keep and eye on this piece of software that's about to hit open beta. I'm quite excited by it.

Thanks mate, I have come to a realisation that atm it wont be worth it because I have played near enough no sngs, so I have decided that when I have a routine again and play like say 2 weeks in a row I will shell out for HEM, it just seems great value with the other programmes added too. I am 75% sure right now that HEM is the way to go, alas I did do the ptr trial when I had an attempt at cash (2 days lol) so I guess thats out. My thinking right now (and your will be right and correct me I am sure) is that I am not good enough to use a hud lol. As you say though I can get a HEM trial so after a few weeks solid poker I am going to do so.

Two reasons for this, right now I am not playing any form of decent poker, I have no routine and all I am doing is making stupid plays, second my pc decided to mess up last week and I had to restore to factory settings so I have no HHs on it, do you think its worth having a small db to put in on the trial rather than next to no hands at all?

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks mate, I have come to a realisation that atm it wont be worth it because I have played near enough no sngs, so I have decided that when I have a routine again and play like say 2 weeks in a row I will shell out for HEM, it just seems great value with the other programmes added too.

Table Ninja, Wiz and a lot of the other programs that are added on are just that, add ons. They do require separate fees to unlock. So it might not be as good a value as you might think.

My thinking right now (and your will be right and correct me I am sure) is that I am not good enough to use a hud lol.

I don't buy into that line of thinking at all. :)

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Table Ninja, Wiz and a lot of the other programs that are added on are just that, add ons. They do require separate fees to unlock. So it might not be as good a value as you might think.

I don't buy into that line of thinking at all. :)

Ok thank you for you thoughts I have the poker funds to get HEM right now so I am seriously considering it, I just need to put some games in and get back into a routine to prove to myself that its worth it. And its not just the playing its playing right I couldnt tell you last time I cashed and I am aware I am a station at this point at time, the only time I have put anything close to serious playing is the CC league games this month.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, the other programs I mentioned are add-on programs that will work with your HEM if you decide to buy them. And if you think you're not good enough to use a HUD, then you definitely need a HUD! LOL The HUD stats will show you exactly where you're messing up. After a few thousand hands or a 200 or so SnGs you can post your stats on here and let some of the members critique them and tell you where you can be doing better. But utilize the free trials and only buy when you feel comfortable that you can do so.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, the other programs I mentioned are add-on programs that will work with your HEM if you decide to buy them. And if you think you're not good enough to use a HUD, then you definitely need a HUD! LOL The HUD stats will show you exactly where you're messing up. After a few thousand hands or a 200 or so SnGs you can post your stats on here and let some of the members critique them and tell you where you can be doing better. But utilize the free trials and only buy when you feel comfortable that you can do so.

Makes alot of sense DG thx I guess I am just at a loss what to do in poker right now.