***May SNG Thread***

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know the feeling! I had such a good week last week. I was up over $200 and then it fell apart this week. I tried playing through the downswing hoping that it would turn around for me, but to no avail. Oh well, I'm just one step closer to variance working in my favor.

If you ever want someone to just watch you through a session I'm usually available, just send me a PM. I'm not that great, but I'm not that bad either. Plus, I feel it's easier to be watched by someone who you're not going to be embarrassed making mistakes in front of. Believe me, I'd love to have Dusty Schmidt sweat me, but I would be a nervous wreck the whole time and end up shoving with 93o and folding AA.;):D

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the feeling! I had such a good week last week. I was up over $200 and then it fell apart this week. I tried playing through the downswing hoping that it would turn around for me, but to no avail. Oh well, I'm just one step closer to variance working in my favor.

If you ever want someone to just watch you through a session I'm usually available, just send me a PM. I'm not that great, but I'm not that bad either. Plus, I feel it's easier to be watched by someone who you're not going to be embarrassed making mistakes in front of. Believe me, I'd love to have Dusty Schmidt sweat me, but I would be a nervous wreck the whole time and end up shoving with 93o and folding AA.;):D

Very nice offer dg and I will deff take you up on that my play isnt too great but I usally play 18 man 3$ play to cash and work from there, 2nd is a good deal in these shooting you a pm with my skype, if you need me to dl other messengers thats cool will get something sorted when I feel like starting again and at a decent time (I am in england) thanks again.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Makes alot of sense DG thx I guess I am just at a loss what to do in poker right now.

IMHO that's your biggest question to answer. Do you want to play socially as a hobby or do you really want to play seriously. IMHO there *IS* room to play as a serious hobbiest (what I consider myself). If the former then the tools are a luxury, if the latter the tools are a must. If you are a serious hobbiest then the tools are needed but only if you have the disposable funds for the hobby.

IMHO you seem to be wrangling with the balance between being serious which requires a commitment versus just being social even though you'll wonder what could be if you got serious.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i'm officially steaming for the first time since I can remember.

I took on a prop bet this month, it was to play 150 games of the 3.25 45 man turbo’s on stars. $50 from each person winner takes all.

It started out ok with an early win, then dropped a bit, finishing around about even after 30 or so games. Not a huge deal, plenty of time to recover. Then I move house, change internet connection, upgrade to a ‘faster’ and ‘better’ service. Since then, the past 20 games I have practically dropped every game.

Two days ago, I load up just 6 games, net drops out, I bust in them all.

Since then, net seemed to stabilize. For two days, no hiccups, everything seemed to be working fine. Today, I decide it's working, and confidently load 12 games, I get halfway through, and am looking in strong positions on 10 tables, yep, net drops out, still manage to cash in one since I was chip leader on a table, the rest I finish in average 10th spot. Needless to say I’m really pissed of ATM.

Not only do I now lose the money from those games I loaded, I can’t even complete the last 100 games, and will definitely lose another $50 to the prop bet.
It's been a long time since i was ready to throw things, but this modem is starting to get on my nerves. It reminds me of a scene with Adam sander in "Happy Gilmore". The one where he pictures his coach’s face on other players and tackles them. Well, that face is on my modem and if it's starts chanting “GAAAAAAAAAATORAAAAAAAADE” I’m going to throw the thing out the window...

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That sucks WiZZ, is there anywhere else you can go to play? Or is it too late to even bother, lol.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not "Happy Gilmore" but "Water Boy".

*ducks flying modem*

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO that's your biggest question to answer. Do you want to play socially as a hobby or do you really want to play seriously. IMHO there *IS* room to play as a serious hobbiest (what I consider myself). If the former then the tools are a luxury, if the latter the tools are a must. If you are a serious hobbiest then the tools are needed but only if you have the disposable funds for the hobby.

IMHO you seem to be wrangling with the balance between being serious which requires a commitment versus just being social even though you'll wonder what could be if you got serious.

You hit the mark there Jilly, I think I could be a serious hobbiest for sure I have a lot of time on my hands and usally enjoy poker thanks I am going to dl HEM trial later.

That sucks wiz :( hope the net sorts its self out.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be very pissed WiZZ.

My first coaching session with my new coach went very well. He has a bit of a different approach to the game which I think will suit me well. He is very easy to work with and I have confidence that after a few sessions I can turn my game around.

His graph is pretty sick so I have faith in his ability. :)

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I have downloaded HEM but dont know what stats mean or how I can customise to sng play any help on this sng peoples?

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically for SnGs you want to have

VPIP- Voluntarily put into pot
PFR- Pre flop raise
AF- Aggression factor
FCB- Flop Continuation Bet
FFCB- Fold to Flop Continuation Bet
Steal- obvious
FTS- Fold to Steal
WTSD- Went to Showdown

At least that's what I like to keep up there. You can add or subtract whatever to suit your specific needs.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[ ] Reached 10% ROI
[x] Doubled initial deposit
[x] Grinding out huge volume of super turbos with my 4% ROI

BTW, where is that video posted wiz? I can't find it in poker videos or in threads you started.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically for SnGs you want to have

VPIP- Voluntarily put into pot
PFR- Pre flop raise
AF- Aggression factor
FCB- Flop Continuation Bet
FFCB- Fold to Flop Continuation Bet
Steal- obvious
FTS- Fold to Steal
WTSD- Went to Showdown

At least that's what I like to keep up there. You can add or subtract whatever to suit your specific needs.
3bet, where is 3bet!!!!!!! I like to keep mine pretty simple, stuff like FCP and FFCB isn't as handy in sng, as we know its mostly a preflop game. I use
VPIP, PFR, 3B, Steal, AF, NO. of hands. And thats it.
[ ] Reached 10% ROI
[x] Doubled initial deposit
[x] Grinding out huge volume of super turbos with my 4% ROI

BTW, where is that video posted wiz? I can't find it in poker videos or in threads you started.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6GD54SN3
I didn't want to post it in there, wasnt overly happy with it. 3 i finished poorly, made a questionable play with aces. And the sound is off, i think the sound is lagging for some reason. The last one where i cash is probably worth watching though.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, 3bet is definitely needed. I used my note card to remember what I keep in what position and I forgot I didn't write 3bet on it.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok well I am not at all sure what I am doing with hem so going to read up today and try learn about it and how to use each function and use stats to my advantage. So I expect I will have a list of queastions later lol.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depressing... down about 20 buy-ins at the $2 SnG level over the last three weeks. I'm getting to final tables, but typically too short-stacked to press through being card dead.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
'sup SnG thread peeps. I'm crashing your SnG thread. :p

Seriously though, it looks like I'm back in tourney mode for awhile. I prefer cash but I just stink over the long term -- down probably 40 BI's since the first of the year. I was chasing RB and Ironman, but after reaching Iron level once and Silver & Bronze several times, it's just not the draw it once was and can't compensate for the couple thousand bucks it cost me.

The last time I had a big cash downswing I switched over to MTTs and MT SnGs, and did very well. Ended 2009 up over $10K, nearly all from tourney winnings, and playing very infrequently compared to this year. Then I moved back to cash and did okay at first, until the next huge downswing. I know it's due to variance + leaks, but I felt like I've busted my a$$ with studying, analysis, sweat sessions, watching videos, etc. and I just couldn't seem to stay ahead.

Now since playing in the league games I've been bitten by the tourney bug again. I discovered the DoNs on Stars and although I've only played 18 so far, I've won 16 of them -- it's like printing money. Gone deep in a few big MTTs just shy of the money. I feel like if I apply myself to tourney's I'm going to do well, but I just prefer the cash games! And I miss the RB too, playing 30k hands of FR like I did in March was sweet for RB. Not so much in SnG's. Although I suppose I could load up 9-12 tables like I did with FR I suppose, I've just never played more than 2-3 at a time though.

Speaking of short stack comebacks, my record is coming back from 0.6bb to take 2nd in a MTT. So yeah, I definitely know the value of not giving up, LOL.

I'll probably post a session video as well, I could use all the feedback I can get. Though I'll be suspicious of all of you league opponents -- you might be trying to sabotage my game. :p

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know what you mean about the cash games, morris. I study and study and yet still seem to get called down by the weakest crap and beat. Really, I'm just sick of cash until I can afford to stick enough money on there to play 25NL or better. I'm sticking to SnG's for now because they are so much more winnable for me.

djkismet

djkismet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont play on poker stars but thank you for the heads up i was actually planning on opening an account there soon

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the heads-up BG, I just posted there. I haven't seen any signs at the lower limits where I play (up to $20) and in fact haven't seen many players from China either. From the 2p2 thread it seems like they were primarily at the higher levels.

Regardless, as long as I'm being highly profitable in them, I see no reason to stop playing them. When my streak dies or I see evidence of colluding at my level, I'll reassess the situation. Maybe practice more careful game selection and avoid buying in to games with several registered Chinese players. Although colluders aren't limited to being from China.

Right now it just feels too good be a consistent winner again, so I'll have a hard time stopping. :)

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking of quiting poker.

B

BenLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA UTG first hand in a low buy in MTT - All in?