***May SNG Thread***

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I finally deposited last week ($50.00 - starting small) on Full Tilt, after several attempts to build a roll from play money, and I've been playing SnG's since then.

I'm still trying to find which kind of SnG has highest EV for me, while hoping having pretty low variance. Suggestions are welcome - pretty much all of the lowest buyins seem fishy enough. After about 50 SnG's I've been about break even, 5.67% ROI; I think this is mostly since I haven't played poker in months and I'm pretty confident I can keep up a higher ROI than that.

Goal for the month: Get up to 10% ROI, choose a game, keep clearing first-time bonus.

It's good to be back!

You can expect the non turbo's to have the least variance, and the highest EV would obviously be fishy games. you dont want to go too low, some of the games have ridiculous rake.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lesson on never giving up:

<snip>

And yes - I did take 1st in that sng. :)

Ain't that a strange (and wonderful) feeling... you are sitting there thinking - "Ok.. that hurt" but you never really feel that you are out of it. Of course that first double-up helps a lot too.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ain't that a strange (and wonderful) feeling... you are sitting there thinking - "Ok.. that hurt" but you never really feel that you are out of it. Of course that first double-up helps a lot too.

Whenever I get that double up, it seems that in a few hands I'm dealt AQ or AJ only to run into someone's AK or KK!:eek::eek::eek:

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, earlier in this thread it was mentioned that $2 SnG is a bit loose for less than $50 BR.

I'm now at $125+. Is $2 still a good range, or is it time to move up?

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people say 50 buyins, some say 30. It just depends on your money situation and if you feel comfortable moving up. For me, I don't ever deposit much at a time, but I have the means of depositing often, so I play outside of good b/r management. Like right now I play anything between 5 and 10 dollar SnGs. But that's really not recommended because the variance of SnGs is so high.

But like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about how many buy ins you have or how much money you have, I would put more thought into do you feel comfortable in moving up. And if you do move up, do you feel you could move back down if you need to? That's the way I would look at it until you get a good, solid b/r going.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, if anyone would like to swap sweat sessions for any level up to $10 SnG's I'd be more than happy to do a couple. I use Teamviewer and Skype for sweat sessions. Just PM me or post in this thread.

zek

zek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like my overall average ROI is back up to 56.22 thanks to a 390% average from my new $10 SNG 2 table buyins. I got first in 2 of the 3 tournaments I played. Not sure how good Poker Tracker 2 is at doing the ROI summary average right for stuff like that. I never upgraded to PT3. Is it worth it? I don't think I care if PT2+PAHUD drops dead and there are a few days where I can't play all of a sudden while getting myself upgraded.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh I miss you sngs :( hopefully we will meet again soon if you will have me back and not kick my ass, will check your vid out this weekend Wiz tonights for beer I think and maybe a few cheap pokers!

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, earlier in this thread it was mentioned that $2 SnG is a bit loose for less than $50 BR.

I'm now at $125+. Is $2 still a good range, or is it time to move up?

50 buyin swings happen if you play enough of these. What I've been doing is starting with 50buyins in my BR. After I win another 50buyins at the level I'm on plus another 20buyins for the next highest level I'll move up. So if you did what I do you would need 100buyins at $2.25 + 20 buyins at the $5.50s for a total of $335 to play the $5.50s. It's a little conservative but I don't want to go broke.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ROI Simulator

Check out this little program, punch in some numbers and you can see what kind of variance and ROI you can expect from particular levels.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh I miss you sngs :( hopefully we will meet again soon if you will have me back and not kick my ass, will check your vid out this weekend Wiz tonights for beer I think and maybe a few cheap pokers!

yeah, cool. I think i need to watch a vid by you, after the league results this week. :D

Let me know what you think guys, i'm not sure if i want to do the review if im not going to get any feedback or discussion, if its helpful or not etc.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I gave feedback! I would love to watch a vid on reviewing games. But I understand if nobody else wants it, don't make it just for me. Come on peeps, I know you all don't do 100% great reviews.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I gave feedback! I would love to watch a vid on reviewing games. But I understand if nobody else wants it, don't make it just for me. Come on peeps, I know you all don't do 100% great reviews.

Yeah, thanks again for that.

Seems like i just wasted three hours of my life ;D.

Ill be finishing my league games and i'm done with CC. Thanks all for your input and conversation/support etc.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Ill be finishing my league games and i'm done with CC. Thanks all for your input and conversation/support etc.

I understand. I've posted several vids, tutorials, etc on here and it seems I'm not in the click sometimes. Not that I care. I'm out of high school and that crap is just ridiculous. But the longer I'm on here the more it seems to get worse. It really sucks too, because this is a good forum. But I'm about to go to a pay site where I feel help is a little more abundant.:(

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is sad news for the SNG community here.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WiZZiM said:
Can i upload it elsewhere?
megaupload has never worked for me (sample: ~5-6x), maybe can find out other options in the instructional videos section? I don't have the answer, but likely get more feedback if more people are able to view it.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Haha sorry Wiz apart from the league game I have been out of poker mode really, will take a look at yer vid probally tomorrow after I finish some coursework. And now I wil be honest I feel my game isnt up too much and that I would have nothing of value for input for you.

I really dont know what to do with myself right now pokerwise, it seems the only game I can profit on is the 18 mans but I dont have the will or skill to play right now never mind learn, I think I need to get a few things in life sorted first, the good thing is it seems like Cards chat is attracting some good sng players and more and more new people posting and profesionals coming on willing to spend some time here which is exciting.

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lesson on never giving up:

Blinds were 80/160 and I lost a huge pot leaving me with only 265 chips. There were still 7 players in the sng.

When the bb hit me all 6 players folded to me - so I was up to 345. Next on my sb it was folded to me and I shove with crap into the bb and he folded. Now I was up to 505. I shoved A rag on the button and everyone folded. I shoved A rag in the cut-off and everyone folded. A few hands later I got AKs and doubled up. Before long I had over 4k chips lol.

And yes - I did take 1st in that sng. :)

I think I was watching that game.

It was awesome.

J

jasdell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I took another week hiatus from poker, but came back today... I really should try to play much more seriously. (the table ninja trial definitely helped me play more games with how it auto starts them and made 6 tabeling easier for me)

Today was a decent day... It would of been so much better if I could of gotten lucky a couple more times when it was down to 3 players and won instead of taking 2nd and 3rd..

Still though, I'm up to just over 320$ from a 10$ BR that I loaded the last week of April so that is pretty exciting... Especially because as of now I can withdraw enough to get a tattoo and still be properly rolled for the limits I'm playing :)

Or I could try moving up some limits... Which is funny because I used to be all about moving up as fast as possible, but now I almost feel intimidated. Maybe when I get to 500$ I'll try out some 5$ games or maybe I need to grow a pair and just do it.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea - and it has really helped me stay focused when I get short in games now.

And you should as this is not really a horrible spot to be in a SnG as long as the blinds are low enough and the structure isn't too fast. I've come back from quite a few where I was down as far as 20 chips to make it in the money. I even won one of the games where I was knocked down to 150 chips in the first couple of hands.

It really relies on luck at this point, but that's good enough for me to keep trying. Just look for good spots and shove.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been completely swamped this month with work, the only games that I've had time for have been the League games. Even those have been hard to cram in. At least I've been doing well in them. Anyway, finals are here, they go until next Tuesday for me, then I'm finally free. Then I'll have some more time to lurk around here at CC and on the tables.

WiZZiM, sorry that I haven't had time to comment on your video, I did download it and watched the first few minutes of it before I had to stop and continue studying. I'll do my best to get to the rest of it in the next week. I hope you reconsider your future here at CC, you've been one of the most helpful members here for me personally, and I'd be disappointed to see you go.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been completely swamped this month with work, the only games that I've had time for have been the League games. Even those have been hard to cram in. At least I've been doing well in them. Anyway, finals are here, they go until next Tuesday for me, then I'm finally free. Then I'll have some more time to lurk around here at CC and on the tables.

WiZZiM, sorry that I haven't had time to comment on your video, I did download it and watched the first few minutes of it before I had to stop and continue studying. I'll do my best to get to the rest of it in the next week. I hope you reconsider your future here at CC, you've been one of the most helpful members here for me personally, and I'd be disappointed to see you go.

I think he was being sarcastic, well I hope he was because I enjoy reading his posts. Finished all coursework I had to do for now so now I am going to be back playing some poker, probally not untill tomorow apart from CC game but I am not sure where too start. I have been thinking of trying another site but I am not sure what one or where has good traffic on sngs.....

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just watched half of Wizzims vid, and already I can see a few spots where you have helped me things I have noted so far-

I am stealing your note system!

On the 66 hand, do you think thet you should have called the 65 bet? And do you think at that stage of the game you could have limped it?

Watching you play it looks like I comlpete to many blinds, I think I would have called the 15 with KJ but as you say those hands can get you on trouble in that instance though do you think you could have called it?

Ok well its funny how watching other people play the same levels/games shows you how bad your own game is, I dont think I have seen you bluff alot and basically your just playing a solid game and playing well I think I need to rethink a lot of my game now, espically the shoving watched around 35 mins and can barely keep my eyes open nice vid so far.

Think I will have to watch the rest later, I havnt slept properly for over a week now and need some rest, enjoyed so far though and I may try some turbos later!

Last edited: