Status
Not open for further replies.
dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck plays a little, but being focused is the key. I dont have that key usually, but today I do:)

berksan

berksan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe in luck.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in my opinion each type of tournament and a style of play and strategy, I think not and luck but variance. poker is not a game of luck but much study and effort and dedication!

A

andreii955

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
indeed, it also needs luck but mostly it takes intuition to fold when needed for maximum fold, even if you have something good in your hand. See what I mean to say you need some courage to fold a good hand.
and of course it takes patience, more time and energy. Therefore it requires so much time MTTs

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need a component of luck to win at poker but tournaments are structured to force you into higher variance decisions to win. I tend to have to get 'lucky' on 3-4 hands to make it into the top 10% of any tournament.

Stocky373

Stocky373

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't need luck, because I do not believe in luck...I think, poker isn't about luck, poker is more about patience and concentration...if I play like fish, luck doesn't help, I bet on it 😃

D

doctor zver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To win a tournament you need luck to get the prizes you need skill and experience

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically yes. But I've been use strategy of choosing goo moments for play. Better odds giving you if table is weak and slow, and more players are tight.
Luck - is indescribable thing. You're lucky when LUCK is on your side))))

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments are usually long and the variance involved were higher when compared to cash game and sng.

Do you believe we need luck to win a tournament?

You need luck ofc,when you go preflop all in with KK vs AA you need luck to win that,but there are players who belive in luck,that players are gamblers.

L

Lance Webster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to have skill to beat luck. But you eventually have to get lucky to win the tourney. Every tourney you must catch a river or turn card to win thats where luck comes in.

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments are usually long and the variance involved were higher when compared to cash game and sng.

luck is always needed

ovidiu9b

ovidiu9b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well for me usulay if im not lucky my opponent is and that is never good for my stak

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

hello.of course you need luck for a tournament ....an average tour longs 5 to 6 hours ....so you need luck with you .experience will help you but luck is nessecary ....

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm convinced that it is a combination of luck and patience. There is always the point in a tournament when you lose concentration. It even doesn't help you knowing each hand equity percentage.

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the marginal hands that u play, u need to have the better luck. its impossible to know what cards are coming out but the more chanse u have off hitting your cards and % make a big difference in winning them big hands

T

TargetLion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody needs it)))

nikkouy

nikkouy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course! when ur in luck you can get higher rank at tournament..others ended losing because i think its hard to play when ur opponent has his/her luck also hahaahaha

R

rusty98

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

yes definitely You need luck in tournaments specially when you lose big hands If you lose your big hands to the lesser chip guy than you than you can remain in the game and make your game using your skill.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. No one wins a tournament without a little luck. I don't care who you are or how good you are at MTTs, luck is always involved. Now, I'm a big believer that skill > luck in MTTs, but no one ever wins with skill alone.

The only reason variance is higher in MTTs vs cash/sngs is because find ourselves in much different situations while in MTTs.

You'll never have to open jam 10 BBs in MP with 99 in a cash game because you can always top off and don't need to worry about rising blinds and antes. Yes, you can find yourself in a similar situations with SNGs, but the difference between the both is the length of time invested into each game. With MTTs, you can easily invest 4-5+ hours multitabling MTTs and still have nothing to show. You can likely play 3-4x as many SNGs (multitabling).

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More skill than luck, you still need to play your A game for 4-12 hours in order to reach the final table. Do some players get it in bad and win putting them in good position to win yes this happens, but you can't depend on this. Luck wins short term skill wins in the long run and that's what we want.

Thats true. But without luck you can do nothing

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the player you are because luck comes in play after skills were used.

For players without skills luck is a very important factor.
Skillful players however try to get maximum value outof their hands using their skills, for example reading their opponents and putting them on ranges as accurate as possible.
So for skillful players it's more like being not to unlucky.

V

Vardenis Pavardenis

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you definitely need luck. But if you can't spot the opportunities and seize them, your luck can be basically worthless :) There is a famous quote, which states, that the more you work, the more luck will come to you. I think there is a book written about this subject. It's called "the luck factor" or something like that :)

J

JustineA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Without luck you cant win anything i think.

victoor_06

victoor_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes I think that you need a little of luck, the worst is when you have the 99% of win and the last card you lose :(

Status
Not open for further replies.