Luck!

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a big tournament do you need to have some luck to get through, or should you be able to get through making the right decisions?

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck

You will need some luck to finish in the money. Good Luck !

R

rmcmullen2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if you make the right decisions, be patient, and except the fact that you are going to loose a fair amount of times then you can be successful at poker. You also need to have a plan and strategy and be able to improvise quickly. Maybe most importantly you need to have self control and know when to fold. There are so many aspects of poker that are more important than luck so I try to focus on the things that I can control and improve in those areas. Just look at how many times that hands do not go to showdown. I would bet that it is around 75% of the time. So the cards in your hand do not matter nearly as much as the cards on the board and how you play the hand.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a big tournament do you need to have some luck to get through, or should you be able to get through making the right decisions?

I think all tournament need some lucky, because random cards and variance is part of the poker game, but as more we know about the game and can control the variables, then less we leave our game to variance.
Good luck! :)

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a bit of luck always helps but some people tend to get a lot more than others:D:p:D:p

leifen

leifen

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
You need some luck. But if you play the odds you will go longer in the run..

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hi.
Both factors, luck and skill are important and crucial. But in general, I think that in the long run the skill of the player is more important.
Good luck.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both things. Can't go through without one of them. You need both of them. A specific mix is the right thing. If you can make right decisions, the luck will go with you in most of the times you need him. Not every time, but in most of it.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that in any tournament you need skill, understanding of the game and luck of course. without it, even if you are the smartest, you cannot win.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Luck is a significant factor, but you mustn' t think of a mtt, but the mtts we play to have the generall view in the long term.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never heard of luck being an element of poker.

Never heard of a pro saying I'm really lucky so I cash consistently and have a positive ROI.

Poker is a game of math and skill which is why good players are consistently winning and bad players lose. Pretty simple.

"Lucky" players over play their hands, under bet their hands, and risk their tournament with hands where they are clearly facing a lot of hands which beat them. "Lucky " players chase draws too much and often have "unbeatable" hands like 1 pair (AA), don't control the pot, and rarely 3bet, but just can't seem to figure out how they lose.

If the lucky players would simply put in the work, they could become a good player where luck doesn't matter in their game and they could start to see a profit.

N

Nounounou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is luck. As some are saying it is a statistics game. What are the odds that your oponents have better cards then you.

And also i believe its a psychological game. If you can read your oponent then you can use the odds.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You will lose if luck is against you, even if you make every correct decision. But rather than "luck," you must account for variance and probability. If the big stack shoves preflop from the button, and you are holding AA in the blind, you call knowing you will lose the hand once every five times.

Even omitting luck, there is no perfect way to play. Should you risk your stack (and tournament life) with a 60% chance to double up? Or should you build your stack by attempting some steals and wait for a better chance? Sometimes sticking around is the best play, and sometimes it is better to roll the dice.

The goal is to play your best game and forget about the variance. You will lose at times no matter what you do. But just as often, the luck will be on your side.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Luck is an illusion because we don't live long enough to see how it all plays out. :)

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good day!
In tournaments where several thousand people participate, a certain amount of luck is definitely needed, because it is practically impossible to pass such a kilofield without luck.
In doing so, of course, you must make the right decisions.:)
P.S. One poker session - 90% luck, 10% skill :D
One year in poker - 90% skill, 10% luck :D

B

booosteeer23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a big tournament, luck is much more important than your skill, because there are many hours of play and a lot of people in the tournament!

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Luck is an important factor. When you play a tournament you must be lucky but you must also play well to win, especially if it is a tournament

Last edited:
Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both. The luck come in with time structures and blinds going up.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One is impossible without the other. It's better not to rely too much on luck, of course, you should improve your game and not get upset in difficult situations.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips

It takes a lot of luck in big tournaments. Yesterday's final on pokerstars is proof of this, such hands were played out that, regardless of the strength of the hand, it was impossible to predict what the outcome of the event would be. As a result, the player who was the smallest stack of 6 players won.:angel:

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in one tournament, a lot depends on luck, the right decisions affect only the distances

MatiasGomez

MatiasGomez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To win big prizes at MTT you always need good luck. I think to enter the positions that charge it is not like that. But to win big prizes or reach final tables you need a bit of luck to accompany good play. Either way in the time i played poker i realized that it is usually lost because at some point a bad decision is was made.